Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share the difficulties they have experienced as their eyesight has deteriorated

(155 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Dec-19 10:42:16

This activity is now closed

As our eyesight deteriorates, it’s harder to appreciate the details in life, from the distant landscape on your next holiday away, to the tiny wrinkles on your new grandchild’s fingers and toes. It’s likely that you might experience at least one difficulty each day if you have poor vision. With this in mind, Serious Readers would like to hear from you.

Here’s what Serious Readers have to say: “Serious Light take the strain out of reading by projecting a natural, balanced light beam on to your page so you can regain the joy of reading. Serious Readers produce high performance lights designed for the ultimate reading experience. Whether reading in the lounge, bedroom or study, Serious Readers lights have something for everyone. The High Definition Light is closest to natural daylight and recommended if you suffer from an eye condition.”

When did you first notice that your eyesight was starting to deteriorate? What eye condition did/do you have and how did/do you treat it? Do you know what you can do to combat eye conditions as we age? Do you find details a little more difficult to see or perhaps you’ve noticed that the words are starting to look blurrier when you’re reading that hard to put down book? Are there any steps you have taken to try and improve your ability to see? Have you heard about Serious Readers and how their lights can help with eye strain?

Share the difficulties you’ve experienced as your eyesight has deteriorated and you will be entered into a prize draw when 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Quercus Thu 02-Jan-20 15:45:06

I am short sighted and used to wear contact lenses all the time but as I got older I needed to use reading glasses when wearing them. I tried wearing a different strength contact lens in each eye (one for reading and one for distance) but for driving found I needed to correct the reading eye to distance so had another pair of spectacles made for that. Finally I switched to varifocal spectacles which suit most purposes, although I still wear contact lenses for swimming.

GinJeannie Tue 24-Dec-19 11:04:03

Opticians appointment last week which confirmed that the double vision in one eye much worse, now ‘11’. Choices of extra thick lense, which restricts choice of frame, or referral to Eye clinic for Botox injections in my eyes every 3 months, yuk! Am 74 and counting!

LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Dec-19 09:56:37

Thank you to everyone who took part in this sponsored discussion. The winner of the voucher is @Jacquilk - congratulations and Merry Christmas! tchsmile

shaddai88 Tue 24-Dec-19 09:28:09

I am short sighted had an accident and a raspberry twig poked into my Right eye when I bend down to pick up my keys I have dropped. I did not realise the seriousness of the accident and I suffered with severe pain 24/7 for over a week before I went to my GP. The GP suggested I went to my optician and the Optician suggested I went to Moorfield Hospital as she could not help me.

My sight on my right deteriorated rapidly and I was in constant pain day and night. I could not drive and was backwards and forward to Moorfield Hospital. It was over a year when my Right eye was so swollen I could not see because of a serious eye infection.

I thank God for the Drs because I was treated with lot so antibiotics and I was referred for surgery. I had my eye operation after one an half years of constant pain and infection. I still suffer from pain day and night but nothing compared to those I had before the removed the torn cornea. I am on permanent eye drops and an ointment to lubricate my Right eye. I nearly lost my sight and when my eye is very painful my vision is not very clear. I thank God I can see …. my parents had glaucoma and cataracts and I was told it is likley I would suffer from that.....

TwiddleDee Tue 24-Dec-19 02:30:50

I had perfect vision until just recently when my eyesight deteriorated suddenly causing me great alarm. After being tested by the doctor and optician they could find no cause for this deterioration of vision blaming it on age and the time I have been spending on my computer and phone. Unfortunates my eyesight is continuing to deteriorate but not so rapidly as it did, which may be because I have turned the brightness right down on my computer and phone, don't look to close at the screens and I limit the time I spend on these devices, taking regular breaks. I only wish I had known the damage these devises could cause to my vision, and think there should be more information given to people on the devastating damage that light from our technical devises can cause to our vision and how important it is to educate our children about how to protect there vision.

sonseyface Mon 23-Dec-19 21:13:54

When it rains....I have to take off glasses and feel so vulnerable!!

mickihobbs Mon 23-Dec-19 18:03:46

I have always been long-sighted but have worn glasses for reading since my early teens because I have astigmatisms in both eyes. I now (aged 76) have to use them because I can see even further but can only read print in very good light if I squint. I can't have a large screen TV because in my small flat I can't get far enough away from it.

Lisapaige24 Mon 23-Dec-19 02:43:41

I can only see straight forward with my eyes am unable to see out the corners I also suffer from dry eyes so my eyes constantly water which makes my under eyes swell up from me constantly drying them and causing infections so I had to stop driving because I was finding difficult to see and I didn’t want to put anyone at risk

Dinahmo Sun 22-Dec-19 23:02:06

I've warn specs since I was about 10. When I was 40 I started wearing varifocals. My problem is that I'm used to wearing lenses made by Zeiss or Nikon which are excellent. I've never had any problems, which a lot of my friends have experienced with cheaper lenses. My problem now is that they are so expensive and I try to have my eyes tested and the lenses changed every two years.

jenid123 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:44:36

About 15 years ago I put my husbands glasses on to see if they suited me, I spotted something on our granite walls I’d never seen before, turns out it was detail that I had no idea existed as I’d never been able to see it before!!
My long & short sight have both gone now, the worst thing is I can no longer see my eyebrows to pluck them anymore! The next annoying thing is trying to wear glasses in the rain, or fogging you as soon as you enter a warm building on a cold day.

Livvie21 Sun 22-Dec-19 14:01:36

I first noticed my eye sight deteriorating when i was a couple of weeks from taking my driving test and I couldn't read the number plate, when I was about 21. I have regular eye tests and my eye sight has improved slightly from constant wear of glasses.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Dec-19 10:01:42

I've worn glasses since I was 5, contact lenses from 15, and have run the gamut of hard lenses, soft, monthly, weekly and daily disposables, bifocals, distance and reading glasses, and of course the various non-prescription and prescription sunglasses. I currently have daily disposable monovision lenses - one eye supposedly for long distance, one for near - but I'm struggling now, and my optician has suggested I'll be better with contact lenses to my near vision prescription and reading glasses as well if needed. I wish I had a penny for every pound all my lenses and glasses have cost over the years!

My latest trip to the optician was prompted by my not recognising my own grandson at school pick up - he was wearing a new coat. I hadn't realised till then how much I relied on clues such as colours to get me through - I'm face blind anyway, so need to be able to see more clearly.

I also struggle with colours - navy, black, dark brown all becoming increasingly alike. I have the start of cataracts in both eyes, which won't be helping.

I'm eternally grateful for the medical expertise and technology we have these days. As someone who couldn't read the big A on the sight chart without knowing what it was, my life would have been very different without it.

No1nana Sat 21-Dec-19 20:21:57

I just find it so frustrating that as the years go by my eyesight is deteriorating, it’s the simple things like not being able to read text messages or food labels without glasses and now I notice that I cannot work out where the spray comes out of on my perfume bottles and I end up spraying it everywhere apart from myself!

marymod Sat 21-Dec-19 19:33:04

As someone who's extremely short-sighted it's always difficult to see things clearly, but I've made adjustments over the years. I do resent how much money I have to spend to get glasses that meet my needs - they are hardly a luxury. Through the day my eyes get more and more tired and now I rarely read or do needlework as it's just so difficult to see clearly.

kathcake Sat 21-Dec-19 18:07:52

i've had trouble reading my fave book, very annoying!

anabanana Sat 21-Dec-19 18:00:27

I have 3 pairs of specs as I have avoided getting vari-focals, but I know it is only a matter of time before I have to abandon this position and get a single pair - largely because I have already lost my 3rd pair (close reading) and my middle pair (screens/reading at arms length) have a wobbly arm.

Goldie145440 Sat 21-Dec-19 17:19:57

OK, so last year I almost went blind. I was teaching and there was pain behind my left eye. I was excused to go to the hospital (long story short... there was a bit in between). I ended up in eye A&E, feeling very ill and a splitting headache. I waited for 4 hours. They finally 'upgraded' me to the consultants rather than A&E. I went through 4 minor ophthalmologists before being taken to the senior ophthalmologist (who's name is like Obi wan Kenobi - I kid you not)... She looked in my eyes (again) and I was frustrated and about to pass out when I insisted someone tells me what was going on. She took the lens off my eye and said 'yes, there is something wrong and it is quite serious - we will need to take you into emergency laser surgery right now'. Followed by 'I bet you didn't wake up this morning thinking this would happen, now, did you love'. I arrived around 10am and didn't leave until after 8pm. I was the only person in the eye department with Dr Obi. She was amazing and went beyond what she had to do for her work in ensuring that the closed angle glaucoma was rectified in my eyes. So, I don't think I want the £300 - but I think that the money should go to St Thomas' Eye A&E for a New Year treat for the way they helped me not go blind! Thank you Dr Obi wan Kenobi. She told me if I had waited any longer to come and have the laser surgery, I would have lost up to 70% of my vision.

JosephineW Sat 21-Dec-19 16:56:27

I developed cataracts in my early 40s. It was really tricky for quite a while as my work involves lots of reading and computer work, plus my main hobbies were reading and embroidery. Although the cataracts are fixed, I've never got back into embroidery as I just don't feel like my eyesight is sharp enough. I bought a special lamp, which helps, but it's not the same! With reading, I generally use a Kindle as it's great to be able to adjust the font size up if my eyes are tired.

Littleham1 Sat 21-Dec-19 06:50:55

Reading books is a pain now as I struggle to see the print.

wilsonj Fri 20-Dec-19 19:40:05

I have worn glasses since I was 11. I am shortsighted. From about the age of 50 I have had some difficulty reading very small print. I have not heard of Serious Readers.

queenie68 Fri 20-Dec-19 09:46:45

I am in my early 50's and i have noticed my eyes getting worse in the last few years but ever since the new energy bulbs came in i have struggled to read as much as i used to do and it is getting frustrating
There is glaucoma in my family so was having eye tests every year but now the government has reduced them to every 2 years so hopefully i won't wake up one day having lost my sight
i am due to get my eyes retested in the new year and i am expecting a big change in my prescription as i know they have got a lot worse lately as i have to keep blinking and they also get very itchy
i wear bifocals and i am hoping they are always available as varifocals make me sick quite literally

Resurgam123 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:34:19

I was trying to post on this yesterday and all of a sudden another post appeard over what I had written.That really annoys me.

What I started posting was about was glaucoma .
It has run through all the women in our family.
I have what is called "normal pressure glaucoma"
But I have never had that explained.
I take Timoptol. drops daily . I have been given those for a long time. I have had one cataract done to good effect.
The surgery was interesting .
It was like watching a psycodelic light show.
(My spelling is getting worse. ) I then had to wait a while for the eye to settle down and heal before I had the final OK from the consultant .
We have a good eye care centre where I live.
The difference when I got my new glasses was really good.
It was really good to get the final result.
Really clear and bright. I had not seen so clearly for a long while.

athenacarina Fri 20-Dec-19 06:57:03

I'd always had 20/20 vision until my late twenties and I hated it when I got my first pair of glasses. Over the past twenty years it has deteriorated, but also got better for a while too (!). But then rather worrying was when I was suffering earlier this year for much longer than usual with another bout of vertigo, I popped into the opticians to ask about having my eyes checked in case my sight had changed. I was surprised to find I had to ask my doctor for a letter as my next eye test was not for another four months. However, the surgery wouldn't issue a letter! Luckily, the optician bypassed the rules and allowed me to take an earlier test and he found my eyes had changed, although changing my prescription didn't affect the vertigo.

computor Thu 19-Dec-19 17:07:47

my husband was diagnosed with macula degeneration 2 years ago .Struggling to see things now as he has had 18 injections ,he now has 5 per cent vision in both eyes.

Pjran Thu 19-Dec-19 16:57:45

Last year when I went for a routine eye appointment at my optician I failed the light test. Oh what a nightmare! Waiting to be seen at the hospital and being diagnosed with glaucoma then dealing with the DVLA. I wouldn’t wish all that on an enemy.