Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share the difficulties they have experienced as their eyesight has deteriorated

(154 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Dec-19 10:42:16

This activity is now closed

As our eyesight deteriorates, it’s harder to appreciate the details in life, from the distant landscape on your next holiday away, to the tiny wrinkles on your new grandchild’s fingers and toes. It’s likely that you might experience at least one difficulty each day if you have poor vision. With this in mind, Serious Readers would like to hear from you.

Here’s what Serious Readers have to say: “Serious Light take the strain out of reading by projecting a natural, balanced light beam on to your page so you can regain the joy of reading. Serious Readers produce high performance lights designed for the ultimate reading experience. Whether reading in the lounge, bedroom or study, Serious Readers lights have something for everyone. The High Definition Light is closest to natural daylight and recommended if you suffer from an eye condition.”

When did you first notice that your eyesight was starting to deteriorate? What eye condition did/do you have and how did/do you treat it? Do you know what you can do to combat eye conditions as we age? Do you find details a little more difficult to see or perhaps you’ve noticed that the words are starting to look blurrier when you’re reading that hard to put down book? Are there any steps you have taken to try and improve your ability to see? Have you heard about Serious Readers and how their lights can help with eye strain?

Share the difficulties you’ve experienced as your eyesight has deteriorated and you will be entered into a prize draw when 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

M0nica Mon 09-Dec-19 11:21:20

I am in my mid70s. I was always short sighted, -8.5 in one eye, -5.7 in the other. I began to have trouble with my vision around the age of 60. This was diagnosed as a cataract and over the next five years I had cataracts removed from both eyes. They were replaced with prescription lenses, and I chose to have lens that left me needing glasses for driving and distances but able to read and go about my ordinary life without wearing any aids to vision.

Apart from needing more light to read small print, and my night sight not being as good as it was, I can still thread quite a fine needle without too much trouble.

Compared with my eyesight from the age of 10 to 63, my eye sight is now immeasurably better.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Dec-19 11:47:16

I m mid 70 s short sighted from about 11 years old -12 in both eyes also have had torn retinas and start of careracts which won’t be operated on because of the weak retinas oh yes and astigmatism
Get on as good as, with contacts but don’t see as well as I d like to reading doesn’t happen now have to concentrate too hard I am embarrassed I have to ask people the number of the bus I can see it when it’s on top of me but sometimes too late
Felt really old the other week when I couldn’t see the very poor quality screen of the hole in the wall with the sun shining on it a nice chap helped me and didn’t run off with my money

But it could be SO much worse

Charleygirl5 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:43:39

I was short sighted in junior school and have worn glasses all of my life.

10 years ago my optician noticed a deterioration so I was sent to Moorfields and dry AMD and Fuchs were diagnosed. There is no cure yet for either.

It is only in the last 5-6 years I have noticed much of a difference.

In the house, I have had all white sockets changed to silver coloured ones because I could not see them.

I had the gas heating timer moved from inside the airing cupboard to the wall outside- not ideal but better. I have fitted a small piece of bright paper on the T gauge because I cannot see if it is at 15C or 25C.

I do have a serious problem with the gas boiler because the instructions are written so minutely even with a magnifier it is beyond me.

I now have Alexa x3 to act as timers, alarms, play music, news and weather around the house.

I can no longer read newspapers or magazines so at least I am saving money.

Good lighting is a must.

I try to buy contrasting colours eg white kettle etc on a dark grey worktop.

Having a Smart meter to read gas and electricity meters.

I have not worked out yet how to find a lock for my door key unless it is a bright day.

I am used to where items are on a store shelf but when they are moved around as they are, I complain to the store manager (fruitlessly).

I have never heard of Serious Readers.

BradfordLass72 Tue 10-Dec-19 06:00:56

And if I tell you, will you post the money to NZ?

QuaintIrene Tue 10-Dec-19 06:13:39

I am short sighted. I can see to read. I wear specs, have done since I was 16 . Without I can’t see hardly anything. All blurry.
I get my specs from spec savers and I like the choice. I do get a strong prescription now and have compressed lenses.
I do read easily under a good light.
I hadn’t heard of serious readers

Fennel Tue 10-Dec-19 09:28:11

One blessing is that I can't see dust/dirt smile.

Moocow Tue 10-Dec-19 09:39:56

Don't reallly want to go into personal details so will just say, at times it surprises and worries me. Opticians don't seem to think there is a problem that is cause for concern other than selling varifocals but sometimes I have to take them off to see better it all gets confusing. Think I've heard of serious readers about a year ago and searched them and found to be very expensive for something that may or may not really help.

creativeness Fri 13-Dec-19 16:59:12

Have to wear glasses in my teens at school for reading blackboard & so on. In my late 50's had to change to varifocal lenses that difficult to master I found. Would be interested to find out some more regarding serious readers.

Pittcity Fri 13-Dec-19 17:45:53

I am short sighted with astigmatism and wear contact lenses with reading glasses or varifocals. I started having problems in my 20s.
I need good light to read and prefer a Kindle as you can adjust the light and the size of the print.
I've never heard of Serious Readers.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Dec-19 18:11:28

Pittcity that's a combination that works for me too - contacts with reading glasses on top smile

I am short sighted. The combination of contact lenses to see far, with reading glasses on top work very well for me. I have the usual problems with lost contacts or when they tear or fold in half, but not too often. My script hasn't changed for 20 years.

Contacts have improved so much nowadays, and continue to evolve I'm very pleased that I mastered them.

I know about Serious Readers because my friend who does a lot of needlework has recently bought one. I need a better light for my crafting, for example I don't work with dark colours (black or navy) when there is no daylight over my shoulder. Like Pittcity above I need a good light when reading or doing fine work.

craftyone Fri 13-Dec-19 18:23:40

I have had myopia and astigmatism from a young age, always worn glasses and had a couple of minor floaters. One day I saw flies crawling along the wall, my first floater episode and I have since had a couple more and worse, never to have clear eyesight ever again. The brain adapts unless I think about it

I get the extra 3D retina scan at the opticians, the first time was a shock, seeing the deterioration and being told I had a little AMD, which btw is perfectly normal as we age. It was never noticed without the 3D scan. That was the starting point for me downsizing and moving for just in case. I am now near buses and shops for later in life, if my sight deteriorates

I own serious readers, two of them, each by a favourite armchair. I do need that bright light when I read or knit. Expensive but very good

Moocow I also have to remove my glasses if doing close intricate work. Fact of life and changing eyesight

HillyN Fri 13-Dec-19 18:50:32

I have annual eye checks because my father had glaucoma; luckily so far I have tested negative for glaucoma myself. I started to need reading glasses in my 50s, then another pair for the computer. When, a year ago, I was told I would need a third pair for driving I took the plunge and went for varifocals.
I was told that I have the start of a cataract in my right eye and then last spring I noticed a black dot in the vision of my left eye, which turned out to be a floater. It is still there but I have learned to live with it. In bright conditions the floater is more noticeable and lights can dazzle my right eye, but I do need good task lighting for sewing and reading.
I had never heard of Serious Readers before but it sounds useful.

vissos Fri 13-Dec-19 21:45:19

The usual small print & poor light problems. I use my left eye for reading & the right for distance. Was told 4 years ago I had the beginnings of cataracts and at present am in the testing part for an op to remove the fully grown cataract in my left eye. I thought my eyesight was just getting worse in my left eye (fighting back from laser treatment in 2005!) but it was the cataract. Sadly, I can't see well enough to do jigsaw puzzles or crochet/embroidery, though extra light helps a bit. Am hoping the NHS will still be doing cataract ops in March or thereabouts.

GrannyMary1 Sat 14-Dec-19 02:39:07

When I was about 11 I started to wear glasses for short sightedness. It got worse until when I was told I would need to wear glasses all the time, I got soft contact lenses at the age of 18. Usual problems with dust, lost lenses etc. When I was 25 I suffered detached retinas in both eyes due to being short sighted. The operation was successful but the vision in my right eye isn’t perfect. Wavy lines and reduced field of vision. However ok to drive. About 15 years ago got my eyes lasered which cured my myopia. I still have a very slight prescription though and wear glasses for driving. Especially at night or in low light. About 10 years ago-I’m 54 now, I started to wear glasses for reading. I definitely need bright light to see which is why I tend to use a kindle for reading
I would definitely be interested in the Serious Reader as I hadn’t heard of them. I’ve actually found it interesting reading about other people’s problems with their eyes and quite useful writing my own. I never take my eyes for granted now.

Misslayed Sat 14-Dec-19 07:44:11

I'm very short sighted and I've worn rigid contacts since I was 15 (I'm 63), and in the last 10 years I've worn reading glasses as well. My contacts have alway been interchangeable as the prescription was the same in each until my most recent test, when my left eye has deteriorated more. I also failed the perriferal vision test in my left eye, but a scan revealed nothing sinister. I wear my contacts less and less now, as my eyes start to itch after a couple of hours. I can now read without contacts or glasses if I hold book/kindle in just the right position. Could never do that when I was younger!

mcem Sat 14-Dec-19 08:40:12

My experience was similar to monica up thread. I opted to have lenses which give me good distance vision but use inexpensive over-the-counter readers for close work and reading. Optician agrees that they are fine.
Unlike others I had the cataracts removed as soon as they were diagnosed (NHS Scotland) and hope the op is still available for others elsewhere.
My ophthalmologist does not accept that cataracts have to be serious or ''ripe' before removal.
Have not heard of Serious Readers but probably wouldn't invest in expensive lights as I have virtually no problems.

GrandmaJan Sat 14-Dec-19 10:54:40

I was short sighted from about 11 years old and wore glasses until I was about 18 when I decided I would wear contact lenses. As I got older opticians advised me to stop wearing them as the lens of my eye was very dry so at 48 I went back to glasses eventually leading to varifocals. 8 years ago about 4 months after I retired I woke up one morning and I couldn’t see properly out of my left eye so I made an opticians appointment. I had no idea what could be wrong as it had literally happened overnight. My friends who are nurses (like myself) said it must be a cataract but I couldn’t see how it could be. Anyway it was, a fast developing cataract which is very rare apparently. I saw a consultant in less than a week (it was classed as needing an urgent referral) and he said there was a cataract in the other eye as well. 3 weeks later the cataract was removed and a month after that the other one was also removed. I now only need reading glasses. Surprisingly the prescription for my reading glasses is improving. Not sure why though.

jeberdes83 Sat 14-Dec-19 12:06:29

I have been short sighted since I was about 12--couldn't see the black boardfrom the back! I am now 88 nearly 89, andhave worn vision aids since then. First glasses, then from about 19, contacts. T heywere large and moulds of the eye were taken and the lenses made for ones own eyes. Contact lenses evolved and I with them, until eventually the daily soft ones. About 20 years ago Ihad a detached retina in my left eye, followed with a disastrous operation, followed bylaser treatments etc. I have cut a very long story short, and suffice it to say I have virtually no sight in my left eye. Have had an IOL replacement in my R eye, and with the aid of glasses can read with that eye and although I can discern some light with my L eye I cannot read at all with it. Serious light sounds as though it would be of tremendous help. I no longre drive, and night vision is rather poor.

Mimidl Sat 14-Dec-19 13:22:58

I’ve been shortsighted and worn glasses since the age of 12 or 13, and during my adult years they stayed about the same at -6 & -7.5. Bad, but not impossible.

About 10 years ago I went to see about having laser eye treatment but they said that my eyes weren’t suitable.

My partner started commenting on my driving a couple of years ago, so I went for an eye test and they had worsened considerably to -7 & -9.

I now have thinner lenses, occasionally contacts but find it hard to focus on the computer screen at work now, I have to look at it for sometimes 20 seconds before I can see it properly - then I have to look down at paperwork and back to start focusing on the screen again! ?‍♀️

Luckily I don’t do loads of computer work, but do have to check/write emails throughout the day so it’s not ideal.

On a positive note, now I have the right prescription my drivings improved!!! ?

chris8888 Sat 14-Dec-19 14:00:24

I am long sighted but now need two sets of glasses, one for driving and one for reading/computer work. I am retired so only use the computer a few hours per day.
I had a eye test in January 2019, so not due one for another year. I don`t get on well with bi-focals they give me a headache so I just stick to glasses.
Not tried contacts and have no particular wish too but I like to have nice frames.

I wouldn`t get lasar eye treatment as my sister did and within a short time she needed glasses again.

muffin Sat 14-Dec-19 14:12:42

Been short sighted for years, but only wear my glasses to watch television, or see the number of a bus.
Have no problem with reading.

GeminiJen Sat 14-Dec-19 15:09:56

My mother had glaucoma so I've always had annual eye tests.
I was in my early 20s when my eyesight started to deteriorate.
Over the years I needed stronger glasses...first only for reading, then bifocals, then varifocals.
At one point I always seemed to be searching for the 'right' pair!
Then, in my 60s, I had lazer eye treatment. I also had cataracts treated at the same time. What a transformation!
I'm now mid 70s and need only over the counter reading glasses for close work.
I use an anglepoise light and have never heard of Serious Readers. They do sound good though, if pricey. More than happy to be a 'tester' and provide feedback wink

dustyangel Sat 14-Dec-19 16:17:12

My experience was also very similar to [M0nica’s] apart from the added complication that I was told about 20 years ago that I possibly had glaucoma. When I was first diagnosed with the start of cataracts, the glaucoma was sort of brushed aside as in “don’t worry about that”.
I’ve just had my second cataract done and to be honest, I’m not very happy about it. The operations both went smoothly and my distance vision is as good as it could be. BUT, and it is a very big but, reading is a big problem. I can get used to donning specs to read with, serves me right for feeling slightly smug as all my friends and even my children started to.grin It is not being able to comfortably read in bed that drives me mad. Snuggled down and just one more chapter before I turn the light off, is a luxury that I appreciate all the more now it is so uncomfortable. Maybe when I invest in prescription lenses, I will have one pair a nifty monocle. I have seen some at the local pharmacy in a dashing scarlet. tchconfused

dustyangel Sat 14-Dec-19 16:26:57

I forgot to add that I have an appointment fairly soon with the chap who first told me that I possibly had glaucoma as well. He’s now the head of the glaucoma unit.