Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Ask your fraud and scam questions to Take Five to Stop Fraud representative and Senior Fraud Prevention Officer Tony Blake - chance to win £150 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(156 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 16-Jan-18 17:17:31

Finding out you have been a victim of fraud and/or a scam is never a pleasant experience and often figuring out whether a call/text/email is a scam and/or fraudulent can be quite difficult. Therefore Tony Blake, a Take Five representative and Senior Fraud Prevention Officer would love to answer your questions and queries on fraud and scams.

Here is what Take Five have to say: “Fraudsters are now very sophisticated so it is more important than ever that people are aware of the advice on how to protect themselves from becoming a victim of fraud. Always question any calls, texts or emails asking for your details out of the blue. Stop and think before you give away any information, no matter how legitimate the person sounds – remember – it’s My Money? My Info? I don’t think so. If you’re unsure, hang up and don’t reply and contact the organisation directly on a number you trust.”

Do you want to know the difference between a fraud and a scam? Perhaps you’re not sure what to look out for when it comes to knowing whether something is a scam or not? Or Maybe you have been a victim of a scam before and want to know how to protect yourself in the future?

Here is some more information on fraud expert, Tony Blake:
Tony Blake is a former police officer who currently works for the Dedicated Card and Payment Crime Unit (DCPCU) and Financial Fraud Action UK (FFA UK). Through a range of programs, Tony helps to proactively raise awareness and prevent Fraud.

Please post your questions on the thread below and we’ll choose 15 for Tony Blake to answer and then post a link to the responses as soon as possible. Everyone who posts a question will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £150 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

harrigran Wed 07-Feb-18 18:14:22

DH and I were scammed out of money a few minutes apart, our debit cards were used to withdraw money in Korea. Is it possible that bent employees at a bank can sell on details ? The only withdrawals made from ATMs by us is within a Barclay's branch. The fact that our cards were used at the same time suggests they were on an alphabetical list. Police would not take action and I was dubious about speaking to the bank fraud department in India but needs must. I understand that banks no longer use India as contact point, can you confirm this ?

Ramblingrose22 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:36:16

One of the ways people's identity can be stolen is through fraudsters finding out their date of birth.
Unfortunately my husband included my date of birth on a Companies House regisration form when I was his company secretary. That company has been dissolved but I believe the information is still out there.
Is there a way of getting these details removed?

dahlia08 Fri 09-Feb-18 01:09:17

We keep having these phone calls. The person said there is something wring with the wifi. The way he told sound genuine. Ask us if we are on the computer. My husband was not pleased and ask him to stop calling and put the phone down.. he stop for a while but I had another phone call 3 days ago. He said to to go on the computer and told me someone from America is trying to hack into our account. He is telling me to press the button on my iPad and the address and what he is saying is on my iPad. It looks the same what he is reading. He ask me to switch on the main computer and by that time my husband came and I was telling him and he was not happy, he said it the same person and put the phone down. The person said he is from BT and everything is connected from BT. We are not even BT customers.

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 11:17:21

Hi @candelle thank you for you comment, there really are some great questions on here.

Unfortunately Tony Blake will not be able to answer each individual one. We have chosen 15 questions that are representative of the majority of questions on here so hopefully the majority of people will have their question answered in some way.

Many Thanks
GNHQ

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Feb-18 10:45:31

Congratulations to @Moocow for winning the £150 voucher! smile