Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Homebase about your Garden Goals for the summer for a chance to win a £300 voucher NOW CLOSED

(230 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Apr-17 14:23:01

Whether you are a complete gardening novice or a green fingered goddess, now is the time of year to start thinking about getting the garden ready for summer. Homebase are kick starting their Garden Goals challenge to encourage those of all abilities to create their dream garden and would love to find out what your #GardenGoals are for this summer.

Here’s what Homebase has to say: “Join our 10-week Garden Goals Challenge and we’ll help you plan, create and enjoy your perfect garden this summer. Whether you’ve got an hour, a few hours, a day or more to spare we’ve got plenty of ideas and advice to help you get there from garden design ideas to handy gardening tips. Whether you want to add more colour to your garden, want the perfect space for entertaining, want to encourage wildlife into your garden or create a patio or edible garden, we’ll guide you towards a great garden this summer.”

So what are your plans for your garden this summer? Will you be having family and friends round for BBQs? Or do you want to create a beautiful zen environment to relax in? However big or small your goals are for your garden this summer please share it below. Everyone who posts below will be entered into a prize draw where one gransnetter will win a £300 Homebase voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

ninathenana Mon 24-Apr-17 16:41:20

BTW the pics at the top of the page cannot be loaded.

EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Apr-17 17:04:03

Thanks ninathenana that should be sorted now smile

Alima Mon 24-Apr-17 18:00:56

Presently my garden is mostly straight lines. Although that is good for DGS's football practice I would love to make it more curvy, get rid of the straight path, put some softer curves in the lawn shape and perhaps create a "quiet spot" hidden from initial view. Would really like to achieve that this year, not too sure that will be possible.

vampirequeen Mon 24-Apr-17 18:42:38

I only have a yard and overdid the pots thing so I'm amalgamating and sorting them to make the most of the space I have. I've just made a pond by sinking a bucket into a very small raised bed and put a pump in it to keep the water moving and some stones that reach above the water for the birds to stand on as they drink (which they do). I also want to repaint the table and chairs to update them.

joannapiano Mon 24-Apr-17 19:09:28

We have a steep garden with steps going down either side and a stream at the bottom.
The top flower beds are fine, but we are at a bit of a loss as to what to do with the area of bedding (mainly solid clay) that measures about 25ft by 12ft,right at the bottom, that is usually in the shade. We have some hollyhocks in there,at the moment,just for the height (and we like them!).

rosesarered Mon 24-Apr-17 20:44:03

Garden plans for Summer include getting lots of colour into the garden beds that last right into Autumn.Buying more pots of varying colour and heights to brighten up the courtyard part and sowing lots of annual seeds so that no area is bare of plants.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Apr-17 20:49:10

I ve recently had some trees cut down which was really costly they were dangerous, too small a garden, too tall trees, too much wind etc etc I love the garden that now gets the sun in it but it's a bit barer than I d like I have plenty of spring plants but would love some shrubs to give it some umph

mcem Mon 24-Apr-17 21:34:41

Not my tiny patch but my daughter's garden needs to be organised to give 6 and 8 year-old DGCs playspace but also to give my poor daughter a haven. Her very poor health means she spends most of her time indoors. If she could spend quiet ( and pottering) time outdoors it would help in so many ways. Her fiance has made a brave start but is finding it a hard task.

Nandalot Mon 24-Apr-17 22:06:37

We have an area at the bottom of the garden, a sort of dell, which has got out of hand as we have been fairly full on helping look after the DGCs. Now that they are older we have more time. We need to clear all the ivy and brambles and then we can have fun finding the right plants for it.

almonds Tue 25-Apr-17 12:20:45

Our garden slopes up and away from the house. Due to ill-health I've found it impossible to manage in recent years so became overgrown. Last year we began redesigning the garden. Parts 1 & 2 are completed. New wide low steps, terracing and built up beds. It's wonderful but they are needing filled! Saving for the next set of built up beds. Will be able to grow some veg in the beds this year. Hoping to buy some herbaceous plants to have a cottage feel to the first section. It's wonderful being able to look after bits of my garden again - to be able to sit out - play football with the grandchildren on our grassy area - most importantly not feel overwhelmed and totally despondent about my garden. Extra funds to help hurry this process along would be wonderful.

dragonfly63 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:25:31

Ten years ago our garden was totally covered in concrete and enclosed by a four foot wall with seventeen conifers making an exercise enclosure.and dog breeding sheds.

We have gradually replaced it all. We have taken down the conifers and removed the roots, erected a green house, built raised beds to grow veg and flowers. We have a patio with table and chairs for outdoor dining, a small pond with a waterfall over a rockery which sounds lovely on a hot summer day. A herb garden with a bench by the side, seventeen fruit trees, fruit bushes and a large car park for our B & B guests. We are in the process of creating a roof garden accessed by double doors off our bedroom. We occasionally use it for al fresco dining and our B & B guests enjoy it, especially when they want a cigarette. Most of the spare time I have in the garden is to maintain and improve it. It is my baby.

hartley123 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:35:51

Although mr garden looks fine, i need trim the bushes, re creosote the fences and put up more bird nesting boxes.

winterpark Tue 25-Apr-17 15:47:15

My goal for the summer is to have patio put down and new garden furniture smile

prwilson Tue 25-Apr-17 15:48:05

I have a vegetable plot, so I'd like to see that full-to-bursting with things to eat. Similarly, I'd like to see plenty of tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in the greenhouse.

israrbaig Tue 25-Apr-17 15:51:01

I plan to mower the lawn every 2 months and plant some lawn seed on the right side as the neighbor has put up some wooden fences that is blocking all the sunlight

nettymay Tue 25-Apr-17 15:52:58

I really would like a little table and 2 chairs to sit on when I stop weeding and cutting back in the garden - think when it all looks tidy this year I may treat myself!

maryandbuzz1 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:53:03

My goal has to target the lawn......or lack of it! With a large Labradoodle killing the grass with his urine and shady areas which seem to mean that the grass is taken over by moss I have a job on my hands. Along with the weeds popping up all over and the untidy edges I realise I am going to be busy!

andywedge Tue 25-Apr-17 15:54:58

Well, just being able to mow it would be a start. It flooded and the water still hasn't drained away fully so we can't mow the lawn and it's desperate to me mowed. Once that is done there's a bit of repair work needed and maybe some returfing. Other than that I always like to grow from seed whenever possible and grow my own bedding plants.

stefalfie11 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:57:33

I'd love to finally sort out the vegetable patch that we've been talking about for months and to get some proper garden furniture so that we can sit outside in the sun and enjoy the garden

sophie56 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:02:38

My garden is a bit of a jungle with an eclectic mix of plants including herbs, artichokes, rhubarb amongst flowers and shrubs. I need to tidy it up and prepare the veg plot (a few beans and courgettes).

MimiJoy Tue 25-Apr-17 16:05:19

My husband got carried away last week when we hired a tip to demolish a horrible brick fire surround and ended up digging up the front lawn! We both have different ideas on what to do with the eye-sore but, hopefully, by the end of summer it will look a good deal better than it does now with some gravel and shrubs which will be slightly more pleasing to the eye!

cherylann2461 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:07:07

lying artificial lawn

falconer Tue 25-Apr-17 16:11:44

We have to lay some new paving stones to the front of the house and tidy up the drive.

Other than that, it's just keeping the weeds at bay and cutting the lawn with an ailing lawn-mower.

bobble5366 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:12:24

to turn that unused half of my garden onto an allotment, I have started to dig it over, I need to get rid of all of the weeds, I am going to start with potatoes, cabbages and radishes and if they are successful, go on to carrots. I can be outdoors, make my garden work for me and have a hobby for my spare time. (garden shed is on order) .....watch this space.