Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for avoiding trips and falls as you get older - £300 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(236 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Dec-16 11:19:05

Have you found that it’s easier to lose your balance as you get older? If you have, do you find yourself being more cautious or taking precautions to avoid trips or falls? Maybe you’re more choosy about your footwear, or take more care when you’re climbing stairs? BMI Healthcare would like to hear about the tips you have for avoiding trips and falls as you get older.

Here’s what BMI Healthcare have to say: “We often create leaflets and information to give out to our orthopaedic and physiotherapy patients and to publish on the web for everyone to read. Often it can be quite generic and not really relevant to most activities that people do. We'd really like to understand how joint and bone pain affects your everyday life, especially if it puts you off balance and if you feel more unsteady on your feet. From what we learn, we can continue to tailor our information to make it more useful for everyone. Thank you for your help. You can view some of the information we already have available here.”

All those who leave a comment below sharing a tip will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Shinyredcar Tue 13-Dec-16 11:39:32

I find that varifocal glasses can have an impact on balance, especially if you are going down stairs. They do alter perception and if you are used to wearing them, it is easy to forget sometimes the way they distort distance perception because your feet are within the 'reading' section. My late husband had problems and now I sometimes do. I love my varifocals, but do have to remember that they can make things appear different, enough to mis-step.

I now force myself to use a pair of steps when reaching up, ones with a rail at the top, though I used to hop on a chair (yes, I know!) without hesitating. Foot problems mean my balance is not so reliable. I just have to accept that living alone, I need to be a bit slower and more thoughtful. It is irritating to slow down when you don't feel like it, and frustration can mean taking short cuts but they can lead to disaster.

Thinking things through is worth it. Getting out of the bath onto a heavy bath mat instead of a skittery towel chucked on the floor, is boringly sensible but better than weeks in hospital mending a broken hip.

Getting out of bed, especially in the middle of the night for a wee, should be done slowly and standing up for a few seconds to let your blood pressure adjust is well worth while. It only takes a moment or two, but it can avoid a fall.

We need to learn to be patient, and that's hard! A few extra minutes can avoid months of pain and years of disability. See it as an investment. When I learned to drive, my instructor said, take your time — other drivers will forgive you if you manoeuvre once slowly, and get it right, instead of rushing and having to take ages. A lesson for life as we get older.

Charleygirl Tue 13-Dec-16 11:43:50

I have tiled or laminate flooring throughout the house and had attractive rugs in most rooms. I have now removed every rug so that I have a level walking place because I tripped and fell over a rug last year fracturing my 1st Metatarsal and ending up in a below knee POP.

I try to wear slippers with backs for added security.

rosesarered Tue 13-Dec-16 12:21:11

Buy a bungalow with no steps or stairs at all! tchsmile

Hilltopgran Tue 13-Dec-16 14:17:08

Keep floor area tidy so there nothing to trip over in the house. When walking the dog over uneven ground outside, I have invested in a fell walking stick. one with a handle being best. I am fine normally but it is so easy to slip on mud or trip over an unseen root.

BBbevan Tue 13-Dec-16 15:20:19

DH never did his shoes or sandals up properly despite me constantly reminding him. One day last summer he tripped on the loose strap of his sandal and fell out of the patio door. It could have been a really bad fall but he somehow managed to right himself. But it did frighten him and he always does his shoes up now.

tiggypiro Tue 13-Dec-16 17:19:15

Give up skiing (reluctantly !)

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 17:19:33

Don't change the bedclothes.
Or if you do - don't leave them hanging too far down the sides.

Is the £300 voucher for mobility aids? If so, I already have a pair of crutches similar to the ones in the picture, a walking stick and a shower seat thank you all the same.

Tizliz Tue 13-Dec-16 17:30:01

My dogs are the worst hazzard. They get excited and charge through doorways, if I am unfortunately in that doorway I am likely to get knocked over. Not sure of the solution

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 17:47:34

Shout SIT or STAY very loudly!

Tizliz Tue 13-Dec-16 17:52:43

And what effect will that have? grin. They will obey my OH but it is when he has been out and comes home this happens.

cornergran Tue 13-Dec-16 18:58:42

Don't rush about, slower is better and take a second to think about what you need to do.

Lewlew Tue 13-Dec-16 19:08:47

We put no-pile office carpet in my parents last home as my mum had Parkinson's and it made getting around with a walking frame and then a wheelchair much easier.

She did not want vinyl or laminate (cold & institutional without having area rugs on it which was not practical), so this was a good compromise. We Scotch-guarded it, so spills, etc cleaned up easily. And it really did look nice and wore well and when the house was sold, we stopped in once and the new people with young children had kept it!

shysal Tue 13-Dec-16 19:27:21

I bought a sock putter-onner when I injured my shoulder. It is on the mend now, but I continue to use the aid as toppling over could be a danger in the future. I also always lean against the side of my high bed when putting on trousers for the same reason.
I have always been aware of trip hazards, which is even more important as I age.

Gagagran Tue 13-Dec-16 19:38:55

Don't rush to answer the door or phone - more haste less speed. Accidents often happen when you're rushing. Get out of your chair gently and get your balance before you move away.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 19:45:52

And what effect will that have?
grin
we had a dog that was perfectly behaved for DH and when I took him to dog training incidentally.
However, the minute DH went (he worked away all week) the dog would look at me and wee on the carpet.
'We know who's boss now, don't we!'.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 19:47:18

ps it was the only time he did it, he didn't wee on the carpet habitually! He just wanted to let me know who was in charge.

Tizliz Tue 13-Dec-16 21:30:54

Mine keep me in my place all the time. We have only had one deliberate indoor wee and that was when they came back from the kennels ?

Grannyknot Tue 13-Dec-16 22:17:21

Keep off the wine

Wear shoes that support your feet and that fit well.

Train yourself to never run for a bus or a train (I learnt that one the hard way).

Take up Pilates or similar, to strengthen your core. It helps a lot with balance.

Coolgran65 Wed 14-Dec-16 00:13:47

Don't carry too much upstairs (eg ironing) in the one go .... forget the 'lazy man's burden' and keep a hand free for the handrail.

There was a time I used to just jump onto the worktop to reach the kitchen window to wash it...... more sense now and keep a small 3 x tread set of steps in the kitchen. Painted them a nice sage green to match the decor.

Take care going out the door especially where there is a plastic door frame. Lift your feet. Don't me like me and end up with 14 stitches on the forehead and two black eyes.

Christinefrance Wed 14-Dec-16 08:31:00

Love the dog story Jalima, do like a dog with attitude.
Coolgran that's exactly why I fell downstairs recently, carrying some laundry and a dog bed. I sprained my ankle and cracked a rib so only small loads for me now.

nabob Wed 14-Dec-16 10:22:29

Tips for reducing falls,.... well I find that moving around slowly gives me better balance. It gives your body time to catch up and does not throw you off balance

Parsleywin Wed 14-Dec-16 12:54:35

With extreme reluctance, giving up all forms of unsuitable footwear and literally "watching my step" - partly because of varifocals.

Like many others this "wisdom" was only granted to me after an accident. grin

GeminiJen Wed 14-Dec-16 13:14:09

Just over two years ago, I fell as I was coming downstairs. Result: a visit to A&E with badly torn ligaments. I hasten to add that no wine was involved. It was early evening. I was heading out to a concert, skipping merrily downstairs when my knee simply gave way beneath me.
After follow up treatment from a physio, I was referred to an activity class where we did all the exercises listed in the BMI leaflet. Two years on, they're still part of my daily routine. I also do balancing exercises with my eyes closed, which I found quite difficult at first. I've always been active...swimming, walking, Pilates...and gradually got back into these. Wanting to be an active, hands on Gran to my four grandchildren was a major incentive.
For me, the hardest thing to cope with was the loss of confidence. I've always been fiercely independent and hated that the fall left me feeling quite cautious, careful, hesitant.
Those feelings did gradually recede. But only because I altered my mindset to a more realistic assessment of what I could and perhaps shouldn't do.
The tips that helped me were:
being mindful - focussing on whatever it is that I'm doing;
using aids - a small stepladder where previously I would have climbed up on to a chair;
holding on to the bannister when going up and down stairs;
making sure that I budget enough time to do something, so that I don't have to rush;
getting rid of all the rugs in the house, so that there's nothing to trip over;
using walking poles on uneven terrain outdoors;
attaching gripper soles to my shoes and boots when I go out in icy conditions.
These all help.
And I'm glad to say that my confidence has returned grin

Grannymoz Thu 15-Dec-16 07:37:56

Thankfully it doesn't really affect us yet but at my in laws who are in their 90s we have removed the rugs and make sure they don't leave things on the floor. Thankfully they move slowly though doesn't stop FIL going out and falling unfortunately