Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for preventing cold & flu with Dettol and be in with a chance of winning a £300 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(196 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-16 09:40:09

Winter is upon us and that means so are the dreaded colds and flus that go with it. The majority of us suffer every year to some extent and many have a number of tricks they use to try and keep colds and flu at bay. Dettol want to hear your tips for preventing colds and flu.

Here’s what Dettol have to say: “Whilst Dettol started by preventing infection and sickness in hospitals in the UK, our brand’s mission was always much bigger. In order to help keep people healthy, Dettol needed to protect families as part of their every-day lives in the home. Fuelled by our passion to do more and backed by our expertise in killing germs, Dettol products are designed to help you protect your family from harmful germs that can cause illness. Our range of Dettol Surface Cleansers kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and can be used all over the home. Available in a range of formats such as trigger spray as well as surface or floor wipes.”

Do you load up on vitamin C when you feel the first inklings of illness? Are you regimented when it comes to washing your hands and telling your grandchildren to cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough? Whatever your cold and flu prevention tips are please share them below.

Everyone who posts below before Thursday 15th December will be entered into a prize draw where one gransnetter will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

aggie Thu 01-Dec-16 18:21:48

get the flu' jab ! wash your hand often

Candelle Thu 01-Dec-16 19:02:14

A tiny bit of Vaseline into each nostril when leaving the house! The idea is that this works as a preventative to microscopic nasties entering the body. I have no idea if it works (and currently have a cold so, perhaps not!) but it is cheap and easy so I thought it worth a try!!

Additionally, have the 'flu jab as early in the season as is possible

Washing hands, especially when returning to the house - supposedly eradicating more nasties.

Nelliemoser Thu 01-Dec-16 20:00:36

You really do not need Dettol for everything. I you are going to get colds and flu it more likely to be from people you walk past.

www.newscientist.com/article/dn18184-friendly-bacteria-keep-your-skins-defences-in-check/

Mr "Reckitt Benckiser" listen! We do not need to flood our homes with your unnecessary antibacterial sprays and wipes and every thing else you are promoting.

You started off this "Soak the world with Dettol" campaign a while ago with adverts such as a mum anxiously grabbing her crawling baby, with a look of horror on her face, after picking the child up off what already looked like a spotless floor.

You are now promoting anti bacterial sprays for any possible part of your house.
Can you convince me that all these sprays are not potentially harmful with regard to our essential "friendly bacteria" and if they are likely to to cause situations of bacterial resistance, like our serious over use of antibiotics has.

It appears to me from your adverts that we must never put our babies onto the floors of our houses at all as there might be some bacteria there.

To build up natural immunity we need to expose our children to these normal bugs. We just need to keep our homes reasonably clean and wash our kitchen tops with hot soapy water to clean up.

I feel your advertisments are irresponsible in that they are quite likely to cause unnecessary anxiety in many people.
As a post war baby we all mangaged "very well thank you" with just the use of good basic hygiene measures. Younger parents seem to be falling for this type of advertising.

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Dec-16 20:02:25

Yes to frequent hand washing and covering mouths when coughing and sneezing - even my littlest DGS tries to do this, at 20 months, so I must be a bit of a nag!

DD1 swears by echinachea tablets, which seem to have stopped her frequent colds.

Nelliemoser Thu 01-Dec-16 20:02:32

GNHQ. May I assume my comments will exclude me from winning this competion.

BBbevan Thu 01-Dec-16 21:21:32

Give up working with children?

Grannyknot Thu 01-Dec-16 22:16:47

I was born in 1949 and Dettol was woven into the fabric of my childhood in a comforting way, a few drops in the bath to soothe cuts and bruises, a dab of Dettol on cottonwool to clean a scrape. I Iove the smell of it to this day.

On to my competition entry: I avoid crowded places, don't come too close to someone who's coughing or sneezing, wash hands properly and (I know there's no evidence that you can "catch a chill") I keep my neck warm and my chest covered smile

I haven't had a cold in a long time, but if I start with one, I'm straight on to Vitamin C and Zinc tablets.

daisybeebee Fri 02-Dec-16 00:37:36

I've always used Dettol, my mom still uses Dettol and my gran used Dettol, they instilled in me the importance of keeping germs at bay in the home, especially the kitchen.
We all take a teaspoon of Manuka honey each day and make sure we wrap up warm when going out .
Apart from the very occasional cold, this seems to work for us.

Marmight Fri 02-Dec-16 03:14:49

My Dad always swore by a TCP gargle at the first sign of the sniffles. Disgusting smell & taste but it seemed to do the trick. I am a Vicks up the nose, whisky, lemon and honey in large measure, plus a couple of paracetamol person wink

pinkwallpaper Fri 02-Dec-16 08:14:23

zinc tablets at the first sign of anyone close to you has a cold and wash hands +++

Greenfinch Fri 02-Dec-16 08:24:42

I am with Nelliemoser 100%.
There is a lot of scaremongering and nothing can keep colds at bay unless you are a recluse and never venture out.

Anya Fri 02-Dec-16 08:40:53

Not all bacteria are friendly though. Neither are viruses, and certainly not this one I've got at the moment. Sadly viruses can be picked up anywhere these days.

I do use Dettol in areas like the toilet as a final wipe down after a good clean. I also use Dettol laundry when washing sheets or towels, instead of fabric conditioner, so I can use a 40oC wash and save on time and electricity. They do smell nice afterwards too.

Misslayed Fri 02-Dec-16 09:47:04

A couple of years ago I saw an American video for small children about preventing the spread of cold and flu - among familiar advice they advised children to sneeze into the crook of their elbow! My immediate response was eeeew, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes - in the absence of a tissue which can be immediately binned. If you sneeze into your hand everything and everyone you touch gets their share of viruses. I washed my hands at least every hour when I was teaching and managed to avoid most bugs.

annodomini Fri 02-Dec-16 10:00:58

I'm with Nellie. The famous bacteriologist, and discoverer of penicillin, Sir Alexander Fleming once told an audience that included my father that antiseptics like Dettol were no more effective in preventing infection than ordinary soap and water.

So, as they say, 'include me out'.

Charleygirl Fri 02-Dec-16 11:11:41

Nellie I could not have put it better myself. Bacterial resistance is a definite possibility- hot soapy water and frequent hand washing go a long way. We cannot bring up children in a cocoon, they have to be exposed to normal bacteria so that they can build up a resistance, as we did. I do not use anti bacterial liquid or wipes in my house and it saves me money.

I try to stay away from people who have colds, increase my vitamin C by eating more fruit and vegetables and try not to to be in very crowded areas such a tube trains. I always have a decent supply of tissues with me, use once and discard appropriately I was taught.

Now I am no longer working I have far fewer colds as I am no longer exposed to large crowds on a daily basis.

Tizliz Fri 02-Dec-16 11:44:06

I am with Nellie as well. Too much cleaning means that you do not build up a resistance to bugs.

It doesn't matter how much you wash your own hands, not everyone else does this. So I just try and keep away from people! Keep away from the doctor's waiting room, public transport etc. Other than that I just accept that I will get a cold sometime and deal with it when it comes.

willow5 Fri 02-Dec-16 12:22:10

Take multi vitamin tablets daily, and extra vitamin tablets when you feel a cold coming.

joannapiano Fri 02-Dec-16 12:51:35

When I was teaching I became fairly immune to colds, but if a child sneezed in my face I tended to get an eye infection.
I nag all the DGC to wash their hands and we try to eat healthily.

Synonymous Fri 02-Dec-16 13:11:02

I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is other than to advertise Dettol products. hmm
I hate the way everyone damps down their immune system with anti bacterial sprays but giving the question some thought I suppose if I drank a whole bottle I wouldn't get any infection ever again! Or anything else for that matter! grin

mumofmadboys Fri 02-Dec-16 14:06:34

I agree with washing hands frequently especially after blowing or wiping my nose.Plenty of vitamin C rich foods. Try and keep healthy with plenty of sleep and daily exercise.

rosesarered Sat 03-Dec-16 09:04:03

I use Dettol wipes all round the house, but especially on the door handles and always on toilet flush handles.You can't eradicate all germs/bacteria but this will help.I also use them on light switches.

trisher Sat 03-Dec-16 11:39:22

I totally agree about the overuse of anti-bacterial products and the fact that exposing children to a certain degree of bacteria may result in less allergic conditions such as asthma.
As far as colds go it is something you really can't guard against, particularly with young GCs. When I was teaching the first few years were always accompanied by loads of colds. Over the years I developed immunity and hardly ever got one. It's ten years since I retired and this year I've had more colds than ever, courtesy of 2 GCs attending nursery and bringing them back. The virus has changed and I am more susceptible, but I'm building up immunity again.

galexinda Sat 03-Dec-16 13:31:59

At this time of year I think it is even more necessary to eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts and protein - so easy to eat comfort foods when it is cold and miserable but they don't help the immune system fight the germs. Washing hands often, as well as keeping all surfaces clean, will help reduce the transfer of germs from one person to another. I have a spoon of honey when my throat feels sore and if I think I may be 'going down with a cold' have a paracetamol and plenty of hot fluids and keep warm. If I start sneezing or coughing then I stay away from people as I feel this is the time when I am most likely to spread germs.

gillybob Sat 03-Dec-16 23:47:23

When out and about I avoid touching door handles and banisters etc. and if I am forced to do so, I carry a small bottle of anti-bac hand gel around with me and I give my hands a little squirt.