Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What no longer bothers you (now you are older!)? You could win a fabulous L'Oreal goodie bag worth £200! NOW CLOSED

(279 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 26-Jan-15 11:31:12

Talk to L'Oreal about the things that no longer bother you (now you are older!) and you could win a fabulous goodie bag full of L'Oreal must-haves worth £200!

We've been asked by L'Oreal to find out from gransnetters what no longer stresses you out.

So, what did you used to worry about, but don't any longer? Maybe you used to get stressed over what people thought of you, Or perhaps entertaining used to cause you to fret unnecessarily, but now, you love it?

Whatever it is - L'Oreal would love to hear about it!

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive the beauty goodie bag worth £200.

To find out more about L'Oreal's Perfect Age campaign click here: www.loreal-paris.co.uk/perfectage

Stansgran Mon 26-Jan-15 12:03:16

Actually it's good to be able to pay a compliment when one can. I've spent a fortune over the years searching for THE cleanser and THE toner which will suit my dry skin made even worse by air con. I have a stash of half used bottles of Chanel, Dior ,own brands galore and have now found L'oreal Age Perfect wipes with almond oil. I use one in the morning as well if my skin is feeling especially dry. None of that desperate search in Fenwicks as my skin flakes off like face dandruff and have teenage girls at beauty counters telling me how wonderful the stuff is on their skin. And I love my grey hair. I wear it with pride . I've earned every one and don't have to suffer the hairdressers anymore. Feel better for that .smile

vampirequeen Mon 26-Jan-15 12:34:23

I took up cycling because I no longer care what people think about my big bum on a bike.

tanith Mon 26-Jan-15 12:38:39

Stopped hi-lighting my hair and let the silver shine through , I no longer have the cost or waste of time sitting in the hair dressers its been very liberating and I love the colour.

Marmight Mon 26-Jan-15 12:55:00

I no longer care what anyone else thinks of me or how I look. Having spent a lifetime worrying I have suddenly realised that really, in the big scheme of things, it really doesn't matter so long as no one is hurt or upset. smile

Galen Mon 26-Jan-15 13:12:58

I love my white hair and as I always wear it up, I don't have to fuss about how it's looking all the time!

Retiredguy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:21:27

Since retiring last September I no longer stress about which tie to wear for work each day.
Ironing is another none issue nowadays too, it was a big job every week with work shirts and related kit.
Nowadays it's 'easy care' togs all the way and minimal ironing required.

loopylou Mon 26-Jan-15 13:26:53

Bliss not having to conform to 'corporate image'! I can wear exactly what I feel like wearing (make up or not!) totally depending on how I feel at the time. I'm a silver fox, so flaunt it!
Have simplified my face and body care too - more time to be me smile

nonnasusie Mon 26-Jan-15 13:27:37

I no longer worry about my curly hair and in the summer let it dry naturally!!

grannyactivist Mon 26-Jan-15 14:02:30

When I was younger I was a rule following conformist, afraid of being judged and found wanting. Now that I'm not bothered about social norms in the same way I've become a risk taking activist and I'm not afraid to be different if I think it's the right thing to do.

janerowena Mon 26-Jan-15 15:12:51

Tackling those in authority, whether it be police, doctors or teachers, I ask for explanations and question people closely and make them explain properly. For years I assumed that 'experts' knew more than I did, or could reason out for myself. I'm not afraid of confrontation. I don't care if people don't like me, there are plenty left who do.

However - is this meant to be more beauty-related? If so, my eyebrows. They seem to do very well by themselves nowadays. It's lovely to no longer have to pluck them into a fine and elegant line. Only a couple of hairs seem to grow out of place anyway, and they are pale and fine ones so I rarely bother to touch them. I've seen some pretty shocking examples of eyebrow stencilling and thought, I am SO pleased not to feel I have to do that.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 15:35:05

There is nothing. Why would there be? Why would anyone stop caring about anything simply because they have reached a certain age?

Liz46 Mon 26-Jan-15 16:12:23

Like Marmight I no longer worry what people think. For instance I was in the shower at the gym the other day and dropped my pants on the floor. I happily went into the changing room and aimed the hair dryer to my rear. I got a few funny looks and I suspect one or two thought I have Alzheimers but never mind!

Ana Mon 26-Jan-15 16:24:28

Oh! You mean you put the wet pants on first...! I was a bit concerned there grin

Liz46 Mon 26-Jan-15 16:47:07

Probably not as concerned as the other ladies in the changing room! Thanks for clarifying my post Ana.

Coolgran65 Mon 26-Jan-15 17:58:19

I have accepted me and I'm me - I don't worry the same, I say what I need to say, but hopefully kindly. If someone doesn't like me it no longer upsets me.

I also, like a pp... question the 'experts' and those in authority.

I've accepted I've a fat middle, middle being between my shoulders and my bum.

I now have manicures and go to the beauty salon, all without guilt.

Retirement is wonderful...

joannapiano Mon 26-Jan-15 18:29:07

I don't worry about dying young any more!

loopylou Mon 26-Jan-15 18:42:48

You weren't the only one to do a double take Ana!
I thought it grin Liz46!

Ariadne Mon 26-Jan-15 18:58:23

Saying no to things I don't want to do.
Entertaining my way and not bothering what anyone thinks.
Money (but I am lucky)

grannycakes Mon 26-Jan-15 19:05:03

Like others I no longer dye my hair but the liberating thing is that I no longer worry whether other people like my choices of make up or clothes

goldengirl Mon 26-Jan-15 19:07:05

I think overall I tend to bother more! My appearance is important to me but if I pass a shop window and see my reflection I don't hibernate but just think hey ho perhaps I'll look better next time. I also have more confidence to deal with issues and have found that by asking for something politely I generally get what I want. If I don't then I look elsewhere - and take my revenge via Facebook or Trip Advisor!

constance Mon 26-Jan-15 20:20:15

I no longer worry about slimming into a bikini every summer. Rashvests and wetsuits are the way forward!

perkypeach Mon 26-Jan-15 20:25:53

I feel more confident now than I did in my twenties where appearance and how I appeared to others was priority but I lacked inner confidence and directness and able to communicate what I really wanted back then

Nowadays although I am more wrinkly with lots of lumps and bumps I really dont worry about how I look anymore as I possess that inner confidence which radiates through I concentrate more on my personal happiness and trying to enrich the lives of others and living in the present .

Its feeling comfortable with who you are and in your own skin thats important

Grannyknot Mon 26-Jan-15 20:33:56

I am no longer bothered by having saggy boobs, "salami skin" on my legs, "very close" veins (as my daughter used to say).

I also am not bothered by anyone who gives me hard time - because I avoid and/or ignore them grin

Marelli Mon 26-Jan-15 23:02:37

I don't worry about what anyone thinks about how I look, either! My hair is white, my stomach is anything but flat (though my bum does seem to be rather flat these days - in fact it's so flat it seems to be heading towards the back of my knees shock)!
I feel confident and can walk into a room full of people and always find someone to talk to without feeling shy, which is something I could never have done 20 years ago.