Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Which forum do you read first?

(46 Posts)
rubytut Sat 11-Aug-18 16:17:55

I have only been on here about a month so do not know if this has been asked recently.
I go straight to the "last hour" forums then find a subject I am interested in but not if there are more than 50 posts as it is too much to read all of them.
Do others have favourite posters or subjects that they go to first?

Pittcity Sun 12-Aug-18 08:43:03

Thanks for the hint Nina. I avoid the games too.
I always go to the Good Morning.... thread first then check I'm On.
I like to lurk in Soop's Kitchen too.
Always on the lookout for meetups that I can get to.

Greyduster Sun 12-Aug-18 09:03:53

I hit Last Hour and go to Good Morning first and put in my two pennyworth, catch up with I’m on, and usually have a couple of visits to the kitchen during the day.

MamaCaz Sun 12-Aug-18 09:20:28

I am another who would like to be able to 'hide' discussions, but can't see any way of doing it on my tablet.
However, I seem to remember doing this some months ago - has something changed with one of the site's many updates, I wonder?

sodapop Sun 12-Aug-18 11:24:07

Found it on my phone Nina will try my tablet next. Thanks.

MamaCaz Sun 12-Aug-18 12:26:29

Based on what sodapop just said, I have had a look on ,y phone, and I can hide threads on that, but don't seem to have that option on my tablet!

SueDonim Sun 12-Aug-18 13:11:37

I look at Active first.

Re hiding the games threads, I think you need to be on the mobile site to do that. If you go down to the very bottom on the page, it gives you a choice.

ninathenana Sun 12-Aug-18 14:56:16

I'm using mobile site its a v inside a circle at top right of OP

ninathenana Sun 12-Aug-18 14:58:00

Just realised it shows at top of each page.
Someone gave me this tip a while ago, sorry can't remember who.

Greenfinch Sun 12-Aug-18 15:50:46

Thanks nina.Got it at last!I did not realise there was a mobile site as well as a desktop on my tablet. I have managed to hide the games.

MamaCaz Sun 12-Aug-18 16:31:36

Yes, thanks ninathenana. I have managed to change to the mobile site now, too, and hide some threads. smile

polard88 Mon 25-Jul-22 23:58:24

I just read the active ones. Too many games for me as well. I'm reading mostly related to psychology, spiritual, emotional intelligence and life coaching. I think these topics are not too much covered in our life and despite they are very important for our lives2].

Chestnut Tue 26-Jul-22 00:06:37

There definitely isn't a way to hide threads on a computer.

I have said many times that games should not be on a discussion forum at all! There should be a separate tab at the top for games as they have nothing to do with discussions.

Doodledog Tue 26-Jul-22 00:10:48

I agree about the games. Each to her own and they are definitely harmless, but they do clutter up Active Topics, which is how I use the site. I go to AT first, to see what's going on and what to open, or sometimes to 'I'm On' if I posted before bed the previous night, so I can see if there are any replies.

Chestnut Tue 26-Jul-22 00:19:22

I go to I'm On first to see if anything new has been added, then to Last Day (not last hour) because you see a lot more recent threads.

nanna8 Tue 26-Jul-22 00:21:32

Usually to chat or active and I’m on. Never used last hour ,funny , I have never actually noticed it but now I will use it.

Chestnut Tue 26-Jul-22 00:22:12

PS: Just checked Last Hour and it's not even showing the last posts just posted! So Last Day is much better and actually shows the most recent posts.

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jul-22 02:50:38

polard88

I just read the active ones. Too many games for me as well. I'm reading mostly related to psychology, spiritual, emotional intelligence and life coaching. I think these topics are not too much covered in our life and despite they are very important for our lives2].

This is a four year old thread, revived by the above post.
I do wonder why someone would search out a really old and (apologies!) somewhat vague thread…
Chestnut, you’re right, you can only hide threads on the mobile site.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jul-22 04:03:11

* Unfortunately how ever many games you hide they are all back the next day
I sometimes have 20 or more games on ‘last day’

I use ‘Last day’ then ‘I m on’

We ve asked HQ many times to separate the GAMES to its own area

JackyB Tue 26-Jul-22 07:08:36

Where is "Last hour"? I can only see it in the drop-down box that "Hide this discussion" is in. So how can people find "Last Hour" but not "Hide this Discussion"?

(On the Mobile site)

M0nica Tue 26-Jul-22 07:39:15

I start with last hour looking for new threads only and once a day last day again looking for new threads, which might not have been posted on in the last hour then I am on to see if I want to contribute further to threads I have already posted on.

Like Glammanana I have found GN has been very dull recently. Even the political and news threads, too often end up as GN members trading personal insults rather than any reasoned discussion.

Like others I do not touch the games threads. Why come on GN to play games, there are so many games sites?