Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

New scam - don’t say yes

(43 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 02-Aug-23 20:33:27

Apparently there is a very realistic robot that will ring you up and ask you questions such as “how are you today?” in an attempt to get you to say “yes”. It will persist with questions until you reply “yes”. Do NOT do so. This is a scam. BT are aware but currently are unable to stop it.

aggie Wed 02-Aug-23 20:44:20

We used to play that as kids !

25Avalon Thu 03-Aug-23 09:05:03

I should have said it records you saying ‘yes’. I don’t quite understand how this works. Presumably on voice recognition for some websites such as banks?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 03-Aug-23 09:07:48

Any unknown caller asking how I am gets their vocabulary extended followed by being cut off. They’re always up to no good.

Sago Thu 03-Aug-23 09:20:36

Unless my bank ever wants me to say *, they won’t get me.

Bella23 Thu 03-Aug-23 09:40:54

I had an international phone call yesterday I just kept quiet until they got fed up and rang off. I am also getting a least two scams a day from Macafee to renew We are not with them. We have tried to block them but as of yet, it has not worked.
This coping of your voice is quite worrying is it to use with Ai I wonder?

Gossamerbeynon1945 Thu 03-Aug-23 09:49:13

I used to use bing as a search engine. Now they have gone totally AI. It just fills the search engine with numbers.

Sidelined Thu 03-Aug-23 09:51:53

Unless I know who’s calling I won’t pick up the phone. If they leave a message I’ll call back. I’ve poor hearing so try to do most things by text or email anyway.

Foxygloves Thu 03-Aug-23 10:34:05

This is not new!

I can remember hearing about this a couple of years ago.

Freya5 Thu 03-Aug-23 11:08:53

Germanshepherdsmum

Any unknown caller asking how I am gets their vocabulary extended followed by being cut off. They’re always up to no good.

I listen for few seconds then end with I think you're a scammer, they soon hang up

ExDancer Thu 03-Aug-23 11:12:12

So, what happens when you say 'yes'?

Daddima Thu 03-Aug-23 11:33:37

ExDancer

So, what happens when you say 'yes'?

The scammers record you saying ‘yes’ then sign you up for something and allege that you agreed to it.

Seems a lot of bother to me.

Ailidh Thu 03-Aug-23 11:37:18

It started in 2017, apparently. According to Snopes, it's still unproven but I've avoided saying Yes to unknown callers ever since.

M0nica Thu 03-Aug-23 11:43:26

Anyone, other than the mentally impaired, who even begins a telephone conversation with an unknown person ringing out of the blue and not immediately stating clearly who they are and what they are ringing about, and you were expecting the call, deserves everything they get.

JackyB Thu 03-Aug-23 12:05:20

Sidelined

Unless I know who’s calling I won’t pick up the phone. If they leave a message I’ll call back. I’ve poor hearing so try to do most things by text or email anyway.

This.

Simples.

Namsnanny Thu 03-Aug-23 12:14:38

Same for us* jackyB and Sidelined*

But I'm always glad of a reminder to be vigilant
Such as this
Thanks op

eazybee Thu 03-Aug-23 13:02:28

I have two stock responses.
1, to cut the call.
2, to ask 'what are you trying to sell me', then I cut the call.

B9exchange Thu 03-Aug-23 13:27:10

I'm afraid the whole thing is a wind up, going back to 2016. Have no fear if you have said 'yes' to a caller!

www.snopes.com/fact-check/can-you-hear-me-scam/

Soozikinzi Thu 03-Aug-23 13:50:20

If its an unknown number if I do pick up I just hold the phone and don't speak i always think.if it's important theyll tell me .Seems to work quite well they usually hang up .

MiniMoon Thu 03-Aug-23 14:07:01

If its a number I don't know I let the answer machine pick it up. Scammers never leave a message.

Dickens Thu 03-Aug-23 14:17:42

Soozikinzi

If its an unknown number if I do pick up I just hold the phone and don't speak i always think.if it's important theyll tell me .Seems to work quite well they usually hang up .

If the call is important, the caller will leave a message.

That's our motto.

If we don't recognise the number, we don't answer the call.

On the occasions I've broken this 'rule' - the call has either been 'marketing / sales' or a 'gentleman' with an Asian accent called 'Dave' or 'James' telling me he needs remote access to my computer as he works for Microsoft and they've detected a problem with my device...

vampirequeen Thu 03-Aug-23 15:11:56

I wind up scam/sales call. I bait them and see how long I can keep the on the phone with some absurd story. My best time to date is 27 minutes. Someone was trying to sell me insurance. I convinced her that I was immortal. I told her that I was Nephilim (Genesis ....descendants of the sons of God). By the time the call ended she was convinced. I've also used this on a manic street preacher who was shouting abuse at people who didn't want to speak to him.

There are two main reasons (apart from me having a warped sense of humour) that I do this. Firstly whilst they're talking to me they're not conning someone else and secondly they usually phone from abroad but pay to use a UK phone number. This costs them money per minute therefor the longer I keep them on the phone the more it costs them.

Daisydaisydaisy Sat 05-Aug-23 11:13:05

Thank You for sharing 🙁

seadragon Sat 05-Aug-23 11:35:58

Bella23

I had an international phone call yesterday I just kept quiet until they got fed up and rang off. I am also getting a least two scams a day from Macafee to renew We are not with them. We have tried to block them but as of yet, it has not worked.
This coping of your voice is quite worrying is it to use with Ai I wonder?

If the purpose is to use my voice with AI, it will be a waste of their energy, Bella23. Neither Siri not Alexa can understand a word I say and we get very ratty with each other!!...till I gave up. It's a mystery as I was taught ferociously by DD to 'enunciate' clearly at all times....maybe that's the problem!!

Thatsnotmeinthemirror Sat 05-Aug-23 11:50:09

I was ill in bed ,feeling awful and sorting out a family funeral. I had been having issues with a council tax matter and a manager was going to call me just after 9. When my phone rang showing an apparently local number ,I picked up. It was a foreign lady saying she was from " visa" and that there had been a fraudulent attempt to take a large amount from my account. Presumably by coincidence, it was almost the same amount as I had just paid by bank transfer.
The women became very irate when I questioned her ,told me I was wasting time . She said I needed to change my settings at once and she would help me! I said " oh thank you dear ,don't worry ,my son will help. He's very good with computers. He works for the police so he will sort it out. " she went. I reported it.to my bank .