Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Fitflop Facebook scam

(31 Posts)
Poppyred Tue 11-Jul-23 12:27:13

Bought 2 pairs of sandals from the above company through Facebook a month ago.

Emailed them yesterday to ask when they would be delivered. Email back this morning to say the Emil sent was undeliverable.

Searched Google for another email address for them. Email back almost immediately to say that they recognised the order number as a scam.

Contacted my bank and fair play to them my payment was refunded. They told me never to order anything advertised through Facebook but to search for official website.

Lesson learnt hopefully.

toscalily Tue 11-Jul-23 15:03:02

Why did you buy through Facebook, were they advertised at a knock down price? Fitflop's own website have good reductions when they have their sales, worth keeping an eye out for them if you like their products. I have had some good bargains buying direct.

MiniMoon Tue 11-Jul-23 15:54:20

I was almost caught out in the same way. Fortunately my bank recognised that it might be a scam, and before they debited my card they emailed me to ask if I wanted to proceed. I now look at the seller's details and Google them. I have found that some are genuine and some are scams. You really do have to be careful.

Poppyred Tue 11-Jul-23 16:43:12

Two pairs for £44, I should have smelt a rat! 🤔🤨

Imarocker Tue 11-Jul-23 21:53:50

There are lots of fake ads on FB. They claim to be selling Clarks or Skechers but they aren’t. I was sent the wrong size and they wanted another £17 to send me the right size (so they said). I always pay with Paypal so I got my money back.

MerylStreep Tue 11-Jul-23 22:02:08

Oh dear.
Non of those adds on FB are kosher.
If you see an add that’s seems too good to be true, it is.

icanhandthemback Wed 12-Jul-23 12:21:28

I report every single one of them and I have in the past emailed the genuine company so that they are aware and can put pressure on companies like Meta to police more carefully.

Jodieb Wed 12-Jul-23 12:28:17

When I see ads on FB for pills, creams etc. etc. I then go to ebay they are said items are a lot cheaper.

NannaFirework Wed 12-Jul-23 13:01:59

It’s awful you were duped.
The proper Fitflop website is awesome ❤️

Pearlsaminger Wed 12-Jul-23 13:32:24

I purchased a mobility scooter for my elderly friend, via a ‘trusted’ website.

I was sent a keyring. Not sure how she was supposed to sit on it/ steer it!

Yes, I got scammed. Disgusting people

CrazyGrandma2 Wed 12-Jul-23 13:57:13

I learnt never to buy from FB Ads. I did get my money back, Now I always read Trust Pilot reviews, run the address through 'scam site checker' and also establish where the company's head office is.

nexus63 Wed 12-Jul-23 14:08:14

i only buy from websites that accept paypal, if they do use paypal they are usually genuine.

rowyn Wed 12-Jul-23 14:25:03

Jodieb

When I see ads on FB for pills, creams etc. etc. I then go to ebay they are said items are a lot cheaper.

That may be true, but recently I bought something from
eBay which I thought was the genuine article, and it turned out to be a Chinese fake. Ever since I get around 20 Spam emails per day. Never look at them, just delete, but I've been doing that every day for months now, and am wondering if they're ever going to stop!!

annodomini Wed 12-Jul-23 14:53:29

Don't buy anything from those pop-up adverts on Facebook. I was tempted to buy what looked and sounded like a very comfortable pair of shoes - a bargain, of course - which claimed to be Clarks. They did turn up but were neither comfortable nor good value and certainly bore no relation to any shoes on Clarks' on-line catalogue. I never managed to contact the advertisers, so cut my losses and got rid of the shoes.

notgoneyet Wed 12-Jul-23 15:14:34

I've bought things from both Shein and Temu who advertise on FB, both of which are genuine and I've had no problem either receiving the goods or getting hold of the company. But before I buy anything from a company advertising there, I go to TrustPilot and have a look for the company and reviews.

TwinLolly Wed 12-Jul-23 17:03:09

I've seen beautiful wire garden fairies and dandelions advertised on FB with a sad story that the family run business is closing down. Different companies, same story. People commuting and saying how sad, some people say they have bought them (fake "good" comments no doubt, encouraging people to buy). I did a quick search about their websites and they are listed as scammers. The genuine company that makes them in the UK is not even close to closing down. I reported the fake companies to fb, and still do, when I see them. So sad.

LuckyFour Wed 12-Jul-23 17:11:54

Our towns are suffering because of the internet. Why not go into town and look for the item you want. Save our town centres I say.

jillyd60 Wed 12-Jul-23 17:13:39

i laugh about my experiences now, but have learnt my lesson, i bought, a nice looking sun lounger, supposed to come from the US but once id paid it turned out it was from China, what did i get, well they called it a snack box it was like a polystyrene egg box, yes i complained but didnt get anywhere. And yes i fell for it again , from a different company i bought an inflatable hot tub, and received back a rubber ring, well ive learnt my lesson.

Skydancer Wed 12-Jul-23 17:14:00

I think I was almost scammed on FB but can't work out what the scam actually was. I advertised an expensive item of furniture on Marketplace and immediately received an email from a man saying he wanted it and asking if I had a Paypal account and saying that he would pay immediately. I was puzzled as he didn't quibble over the price or ask anything at all. Then, before I could reply, he messaged again saying he would pay me immediately I gave him my Paypal account details and that his son would be round in 3/4 of an hour with a van. Although I DO have a PP account, I smelled a rat and said no I didn't have a PP account so it would have to be cash. I never heard another thing. I can only imagine he wanted my PP address so he could use it fraudulently - somehow? No idea but it was extremely odd.

Poppyred Wed 12-Jul-23 17:17:24

LuckyFour

Our towns are suffering because of the internet. Why not go into town and look for the item you want. Save our town centres I say.

But there aren’t any shops left in our town….and hardly any left in our nearest ‘city’!

Gwyllt Wed 12-Jul-23 18:04:00

I was offered a job today via WhatsApp presume scam so blocked it
Who would want to employ me at my age
Anyone else has anything similar
What was sent copied below

Hello, there!
I'm Florence From Impellam
Employment Group,.
We have a job offer for you which I would like to provide further information
May I proceed please??

TwinLolly Wed 12-Jul-23 21:01:29

Gwyllt I had something similar on WhatsApp (a US number +1..) saying she had received my application and asked if I was still interested in work. She said she was from Addecco. I didn't respond. I never applied for a job let alone in the US. Possibly it was a marketing ploy.hmm

win Wed 12-Jul-23 22:50:59

I got scammed with make up samples on FB, they tried to take over £ 80 per months, I cancelled with the bank, but they just use different details each time. Fortunately the bank eventually stopped everything but the first month's pay as I had agreed to pay that apparently by giving them my card details for what was supposed to be postage only. The small print said you had to cancel within 2 weeks of receiving the first parcel, which I never received!!!!. The bank would not budge however. Horrible scammers indeed.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Jul-23 23:06:44

I’ve bought lots of things advertised on Facebook and have only had two disasters. Some children’s building things that were supposed to fit together and they could make dens out of them. They took ages to arrive and weren’t fit for purpose. And I recently bought some sandals that were nowhere near as good as they looked in the advert. The company said I could return them but the cost of postage would be almost as much as they cost. They are wearable but very cheap looking. I realised at the time that I should never buy footwear online because I have so many problems with my feet.

GrandmaKT Wed 12-Jul-23 23:09:32

I would just say that some Facebook ads are genuine. I recently ordered a Montessori-type travel toy from a Fb ad. I awaited it anxiously - it has just arrived and it is amazing! Super quality and wonderful value for money imho (I hope this is allowed!)
jackies-kids.uk/products/magictouch?syclid=d83d319c-ec9e-49b3-a105-d0b9e8b52c0f&utm_campaign=shipping-confirmation-email&utm_content=product&utm_medium=email&utm_source=OrderlyEmails