Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

The Virtue of Frugality

(50 Posts)
Caleo Fri 17-Dec-21 11:57:55

Frugality is good taste and entitlement to possessions is bad taste.

Already it's generally recognised that it's bad taste to show off money/power/beauty .People no longer wear bling, or fur, or drive SUVs.

Even the most backward among us now recycle as if tomorrow is not sure to happen.

MayBeMaw Fri 17-Dec-21 12:00:11

Is this just your opinion? Or are you quoting somebody?
Not seeing a dearth of Chelsea tractors on the roads for starters.
And conspicuous consumerism seems to be as rampant as ever.

Galaxy Fri 17-Dec-21 12:04:23

How do you not show off beauty. I know I struggle with that smile

Caleo Fri 17-Dec-21 12:05:14

MayBeMw, I am nobody's puppet. You are right, and let's bend our minds to how to solving the problem of human greed.

Caleo Fri 17-Dec-21 12:06:31

Galaxy, fashions are more and more elegant and less and less ostentatious.

Blossoming Fri 17-Dec-21 12:18:59

Frugality is more a question of disposable income than taste.

Elegran Fri 17-Dec-21 12:28:02

Taste does come into it, though. A taste for conspicuous consumption can be seen in those with very low income and no savings who still choose get into debt for the rest of the year so as to buy expensive Christmas presents.

Namsnanny Fri 17-Dec-21 12:49:54

Lots of jumbled up thinking in the op. I dont really see why it's under religion?

Lucca Fri 17-Dec-21 12:52:09

MayBeMaw

Is this just your opinion? Or are you quoting somebody?
Not seeing a dearth of Chelsea tractors on the roads for starters.
And conspicuous consumerism seems to be as rampant as ever.

So true . Masses of expensive metal in all the car parks round here.
I don’t mean to be rude but I don’t understand the OP at all ?

Lucca Fri 17-Dec-21 12:54:13

Frugality. “ the quality of being economical with money or food; thriftiness.”

It necessarily anything to do with good taste,

MayBeMaw Fri 17-Dec-21 13:23:21

Caleo

What do you base this on?

AGAA4 Fri 17-Dec-21 13:31:11

If frugality equates to buying less 'stuff' that you don't need and not getting into debt then I'm all for it.

Sadly this doesn't seem to be happening.

growstuff Fri 17-Dec-21 13:31:29

The word "virtue" implies a moral dimension. Being frugal is a necessity for many. I haven't a clue what the OP is about.

MayBeMaw Fri 17-Dec-21 13:32:14

I don’t doubt your sincerity * Caleo* but I fear this is wishful thinking.
Those who have money to spend, sport just as much bling as ever, those without too often go into massive debt in an attempt to follow fashion.

growstuff Fri 17-Dec-21 13:32:58

AGAA4

If frugality equates to buying less 'stuff' that you don't need and not getting into debt then I'm all for it.

It's not sad for the producers of the "stuff" which people could live without, which is a matter of opinion anyway. It's how modern economies work.

GagaJo Fri 17-Dec-21 17:47:56

Elegran

Taste does come into it, though. A taste for conspicuous consumption can be seen in those with very low income and no savings who still choose get into debt for the rest of the year so as to buy expensive Christmas presents.

That is an incredibly snobbish comment.

Calistemon Fri 17-Dec-21 18:00:43

Galaxy

How do you not show off beauty. I know I struggle with that smile

That's why your male friends struggle with a platonic relationship wink

I wore some bling yesterday - if you have it then flaunt it! Not that I bought any of it myself and it's very old.
Mind you, I notice people do stare if I wear the tiara to the supermarket.

I hadn't noticed, in fact I think the opposite could be true.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 17-Dec-21 19:04:00

I went out today and managed to hide my beauty with a mask and my cycle helmet and gloves hid my bling. smile

Elegran Fri 17-Dec-21 19:05:19

growstuff

AGAA4

It's not sad for the producers of the "stuff" which people could live without, which is a matter of opinion anyway. It's how modern economies work.

That is how modern economies are using up the globe's resources, but not feeding the world. You can't eat money, no matter how much of it governments print.

Galaxy Fri 17-Dec-21 19:08:01

I knew there was an explanation Calistemon smile

Elegran Fri 17-Dec-21 19:08:23

MayBeMaw

Those who have money to spend, sport just as much bling as ever, those without too often go into massive debt in an attempt to follow fashion.

Exactly what I said, and what Gagajo thinks is snobbish.

I come from uncounted generations of people who couldn't afford to waste their money, or to get into debt for baubles - so they didn't. Were they snobbish too?

GagaJo Fri 17-Dec-21 19:24:33

Elegran

MayBeMaw

Exactly what I said, and what Gagajo thinks is snobbish.

I come from uncounted generations of people who couldn't afford to waste their money, or to get into debt for baubles - so they didn't. Were they snobbish too?

I come from poverty. I was taught very clearly to save up for what you want and to cut your cloth according to your means.

I've worked in areas of extreme deprivation. Those people are very busy trying to feed their children.

Yes it's a snobbish and also ignorant attitude that shows no real understanding of the depths of poverty some people in the UK live in,

Urmstongran Fri 17-Dec-21 20:04:38

MayBeMaw

Caleo

What do you base this on?

Caleo. are you for real? Have you seen the sleb photos recently? Kardashians? Katie Price? ???

BlueBelle Fri 17-Dec-21 20:08:05

The fantastic, expensive throw away goods we get in the charity shop don’t hold your opinion very tightly Caleo unfortunately I think we re a longggggg long way off your ideal I wish I could say differently

M0nica Fri 17-Dec-21 20:53:33

Namsnanny i am inclined to agree very jumbled up thinking.

Taste is not the decider between conspicuous consumption and frugality. Many people who are frugal in their living have great taste and immense style. They just manage it without spending much They also have presence that draws people's attention.

Have you not seen vintage chic and shopping second hand regularly discussed in all the media. I have bought a number of items of second hand clothing online and in charity shops and I am happy to tell people about my bargains.

There is no shortage of SUVs and 4x4s in my rural fatsness and bling, real or fake, seems to be flashed about as much as ever.

Yes, no one wears fur these days, but this is because of animal rights group. Anyway fur wasn't always expensive. Rabbit fur coats were all the rage sometime in the 60s, I had one. I think I bought it at Richard shops or Dorothy Perkins. It certainly wasn't expensive.

Recycling isn't driven by frugality it is driven by climate change and the spread of plastics in the sea, and local authorities running out of land fill sites.

Anyway flaunting wealth has got little to do with how much money you have. I was brought up to think that it was vulgar for wealthy people to flaunt their wealth and those with generations of wealth didn't. That was left to the nouveaux riches, those who had recently acquired wealth and wanted to show it off.