Gransnet forums

Relationships

MIL

(42 Posts)
Crusher Sat 19-Nov-22 19:43:04

Back ground info.

2nd Marriage, 2nd MIL, own parents have died, first in laws died. MIL is not gran to my children, is to hubbies children. All children adult.

MIL visited both yesterday and today as was hubby's birthday. I'm always happy to see both MIL and FIL, both elderly with health problems.

This year I have had health problems, and family problems. Eldest son's wife died of alcoholism, leaving a lovely daughter. 2nd son has marriage problems, I could go on.

I am a normally a very patient, chatty and helpful person, life is too short, to waste energy on anger, my MIL does nothing but criticise my way I do things around the house, how I talk, my weight, anything she can think of. She is very self centred, always talking about her ills and woes. FIL is lovely, totally different.

The last couple of visits my MIL has gotten to me, I normally let it go over my head, whatever she says. I was quite upset, told hubby, I'm sick of the criticism. He just said everyone gets criticism, but I'm sick to death of it now. The day after we married, I heard the conversation she had with hubby, and she said I looked fat at my wedding. That really hurt, because at 62, I feel I'm passed all this and have always been adult about it. It's hubby's mum, and I don't want any badness, but I just seem to attract it. I miss my parents lots, and think my hubby is so lucky to have his parents around, I'm at the point I don't want anything to do with MIL.
Any ideas, on how I can push this aside, as I have more important things to worry over.
Thank you

Esspee Fri 25-Nov-22 23:36:07

Your husband is spineless. Time he started sticking up for his wife and putting his nasty mother in her place.
I can’t believe he allows this yet you accept his behaviour. Time to insist he deals with his mother.

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 21:46:37

Just ignore it, look straight through her, act as if you hadn't heard her. She is looking for a reaction, if she doesn't get one, it rather spoils the fun.

Feather Thu 24-Nov-22 23:09:58

Interesting my MiL is often quite rude to me. I think she felt I wasnt good enough but when my BiL married later in life I became okay as she really doesn't like my SiL. My FiL died some years ago. He was a nice man but he created the woman myself and DH have to deal with now. I try to give her the benefit of the doubt but it is hard sometimes. Thankfully my DH finds her rude too. She has also been rather critical of him and has tried pitting him against his brother - hasn't worked. Quite sad really.

LilyoftheValley Thu 24-Nov-22 19:53:51

Perhaps she resents you calling the poor man "hubby"!!

Madgran77 Thu 24-Nov-22 15:00:38

And if FIL or MIL or DH query what you say, just state that that is how you feel so you are being honest about it. They tell you you are being "oversensitive", you say "Really? Well that is your opinion, I don't agree!" And so on!

Madgran77 Thu 24-Nov-22 14:56:13

TerriBull

I'd say this to her when she makes her next nasty remark, hopefully when the rest of the family are there "you are being unnecessarily personal and unpleasant, when you do so you hurt my feelings" I'd walk out of the room and let her chew that over, she needs shaming. Good luck.

Yup, exactly how to deal with it in my view. Calm and assertive

Hithere Thu 24-Nov-22 14:27:47

OP

Watch out with your fil, when you stand up to mil

You might see a very different side of him

AreWeThereYet Thu 24-Nov-22 14:16:35

Is she rude to everyone, or just you? If she's the sort who feels that she can speak her mind and say whatever she feels like then it is easier to just laugh at it. My mother is like that - I once told her she was rude and she was quite offended as 'she wouldn't be rude to anyone'. Didn't change a thing though.

If she singles you out for some reason what I would do is raise my eyebrow, purse my lips, look her up and down then straight in the eye and say mildly 'How very rude' then walk off and be very nice to FiL and DH and ignore her. Enjoy your victory and repeat as necessary.

On the other hand you could just be extremely rude, chuck her out and start an escalating family feud. The risk is DH and FiL will see you as the 'bad guy' and you could end up worse off.

TerriBull Thu 24-Nov-22 13:14:55

You come across as a nice person Crusher, no one deserves that level of rudeness, just be ready to call her out the next time she comes out with one of her nasty remarks, repeat it back really slowly and loudly and then follow with a "good grief you must have been sucking on very bitter lemons today to come out with something as spiteful/vitriolic as that!, have you ever considered this: if you can't say anything nice, then perhaps say nothing at all!" Then I'd ignore her for the rest of her visit. Don't put up with it!

biglouis Thu 24-Nov-22 12:03:25

I was married for a very short time in the 1960s and my MIL was toxic. My husband was also something of a "mummys boy" and would never challenge her. I, on the other hand, am told I have a "tongue like a lash" and frequently did. In fact I used to quite enjoy a good argument!

I used a number of techniques on my MIL. One was what I call "pick at the scab". She would make some oblique snippy remark and I would ask "What do you mean by that?" then, no matter what she replied i would keep asking exactly what she meant and picking at the topic until she walked away or fell silent.

Another was "I dont mind you asking rude impertinent questions so long as you dont mind my not answering them."

Eventually I simply stopped going to visit her and DH went alone. I never attempted to stop him from visiting his mother. My FIL was an old dear.

ParlorGames Thu 24-Nov-22 11:41:02

How unkind your MIL is!
Here's a few comments and suggestions:

MIL: You are putting on weight!
YOU: You are ugly, at least I can lose weight!

MIL: This room is dusty!
YOU: Here's a cloth and tin of polish, knock yourself out Ma but be sure to polish your broomstick too!

MIL: Iv'e got and *** wrong with me!
YOU: So have countless others, think yourself lucky it isn't terminal!

MIL: You talk funny!
YOU: I have spoken this way for nye on 62 years and I am not changing now!

Try not to let her get to you.

Blossoming Thu 24-Nov-22 11:34:58

I’d offer her a saucer of Whiskas (other cat foods are available).

Crusher Thu 24-Nov-22 11:29:37

I am so grateful for all the brilliant answers people have given me, and I am feeling more confident about the next encounter I have with said MIL.
It gets me how people think they can, say things to people in this manner. My previous MIL was just as bad, not as full on.
If it was a cultural thing and I needed help understanding things, I wouldn't mind. MIL has problems understanding me anyway as I have an accent, do things differently, because I came from a different area, and she tries to act snooty. It's a good job I am grown up about it.

Thank you all for your input, its brilliant.

imaround Wed 23-Nov-22 23:03:34

I agree with everyone here who suggested you say "that was rude". Do it when she says it and in front of others. Then walk away from her.

She will eventually learn you will not put up with her BS and move on to someone else with her efforts.

Allsorts Wed 23-Nov-22 22:56:27

Crusher, I'm sorry you bring treated the way you are. Don't know why she has such a problem keeping her mouth shut. I would be overjoyed if I was made welcome by you as would most people, she is the one with the problem. If she says anything unkind, tell her it hurts when she does that, she needs telling it's not right.

Yammy Sun 20-Nov-22 20:54:16

Just say "women's problems" in a loud whisper that usually shuts them up.

pascal30 Sun 20-Nov-22 20:13:59

Refuse to feed her, say you're on a diet thanks to her remarks...

mumofmadboys Sun 20-Nov-22 20:04:29

Or following rude comment by MIL say ' Well I am SO glad your son fancies me just the way I am !' and give her a big wink!

Caleo Sun 20-Nov-22 10:01:48

I agree with Lathyrus "That's a rude thing to say" i.e the broken record technique.

However you want to keep the peace so can you do the broken record in a lighthearted phrase with a broad smile? EG "F off!" with a broad grin. Or whatever sort of language is acceptable in your family circle .

"You don't say!"

"You're so observant!"

"It's not!"

"I'm okay."

V3ra Sun 20-Nov-22 09:51:02

She'll know she's being rude to you.
How about a bit of sarcasm in your reply:
"Are you this polite to everyone or is it only me?"

PoppyBlue Sun 20-Nov-22 08:19:14

'It looks like you've put on weight'
'How weird, I was just about to say the same to you.'

But I'm petty. Mumofmadboys is a great idea!

LRavenscroft Sun 20-Nov-22 07:20:31

I am really sorry that you are having to go through this. Please also think of the future of your own health and well being. Do you really need to put up with this? I have an aunt who is incredibly rude and drags up stuff from 60 years ago. Sorry to say I have nothing to do with her now. I just can't hack it any more. Please look after yourself and there is some good advice on here.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 20-Nov-22 07:11:21

She might be old and ill, but she’s also nasty.

Get your husband to visit them, keep her out of your house, tell your husband to give your love to his Father.

If they visit, either take your FIL out for a walk and a chat or go out yourself until she has gone.

It’s a pity that your husband is so used to her that he can’t see a problem.

mumofmadboys Sun 20-Nov-22 07:09:07

I like the 'ouch' response or even 'meow'!

welbeck Sat 19-Nov-22 23:55:51

tell her to f--- off