Gransnet forums

Relationships

Jealous grandparent

(23 Posts)
swampy1961 Thu 03-Nov-22 17:38:34

Sipti1983

I think it can work both ways though. I have a friend, who took redundancy from work one day and took over child care for her daughter the next. Her husband and her had discussed this before hand and he had made it clear that he didn't want to spend his free time as a childminder, even though he loved his grandchildren. He felt they were in their twilight years and wanted to spend time together as they had always worked very hard. His wife however just wanted to spend time with their grandchildren and could not understand why her husband did not. It caused a lasting problem in their relationship. It can work two ways. I'm not sure why OP's husband is jealous, whether its because he wants more time with the grandchildren himself or of the time they are not spending together as a couple, but clearly its a discussion they have to have.

Before I was made redundant from my job OH used to collect one GS from school a couple of afternoons a week and I would cook him tea when I came in from work.
Now that I'm at home we now have two GS a couple of afternoons a week after school but also have our youngest GS three days while his Mum works part time.
We made it clear that if we were around that we would look after GC if they were poorly in an emergency but we were doing childcare on 3 days only whether we had one or five of them. That way we had four days a week to do as we wished without being tied to childcare issues. We also swap with other grandparents if they are taking a break away on holiday etc or if we are away ourselves.
It sounds a little mercenary but I can understand the situation above - and plenty of people will no doubt in agreement but it is something that needs to be discussed by all concerned to avoid conflict.
As my sister put it when she and her OH retired but looked after their GC they looked forward to every Monday being a a Bank holiday Monday!!
We love our time with our GC but the peace afterwards is bliss some days wink

Madgran77 Thu 03-Nov-22 16:03:22

Horti

I think your ideas are good and worth a try

Let us know how you get on Horti Good luck!

Horti Wed 02-Nov-22 23:29:50

I think your ideas are good and worth a try

Madgran77 Mon 31-Oct-22 06:52:20

He clearly has a problem! I think you need to change how you respond to his behaviour as in:

Do you realise that when you do our daughter and I feel that you are playing us off against each other? Is that your intention?

Did you mean to put me down like that in front of **?

At the moment you appear to be jealous of my time with our grandchildren! Is that the case?

ie you are naming his behaviour to him!

He will probably deny/get huffy/ ignore or whatever. In which case your response is "OK I am wrong then. So what IS the cause if your behaviour. Talk to me!"

If you get a positive response and he starts opening up then really listen and acknowledge. Then encourage working together on a solution ...but not giving up your red line of spending time with grandchildren etc!

If you don't get a positive response then say "I can't help if you won't talk or explain. I am not going to stop looking after grandchildren. It would be nice if we could do that together without these difficulties!"

Sounds stilted written down but the overall idea is to get the problems into the open, listen if he engages, draw your red lines so he knows you aren't giving up what you want to do!

Good luck flowers

Render Sun 30-Oct-22 13:37:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Caleo Sun 30-Oct-22 11:27:47

MOnica wrote:

"But any contact with another person, spouse, friend. relation, employer, medical attandant will have its plusses and minusses and unless we live the life of a total recluse, we all make decisions on whether to continue a relationship basedon balancing the plusses and minusses and as we, ourselves are not perfect, we accept that those we love may not be a joy to be with 100% of the time"

That is true. If you can't like another person warts and all you are the loser. However sometimes we have to cut our losses and abandon that person.

M0nica Sun 30-Oct-22 09:38:11

The sleep will do you good.

biglouis Sun 30-Oct-22 08:08:20

But any contact with another person, spouse, friend. relation, employer, medical attandant will have its plusses and minusses and unless we live the life of a total recluse, we all make decisions on whether to continue a relationship basedon balancing the plusses and minusses and as we, ourselves are not perfect, we accept that those we love may not be a joy to be with 100% of the time

I almost fell asleep before I reached the end of that sentence.

M0nica Sun 30-Oct-22 07:02:11

biglouis the people on this thread who have to deal with this problem are a very small sample of GN members, who are a very small sample of the married population and will, almost by definition, especially attract those iwth this problem.

But any contact with another person, spouse, friend. relation, employer, medical attandant will have its plusses and minusses and unless we live the life of a total recluse, we all make decisions on whether to continue a relationship basedon balancing the plusses and minusses and as we, ourselves are not perfect, we accept that those we love may not be a joy to be with 100% of the time

biglouis Sun 30-Oct-22 00:13:59

When I read threads like this Im glad I never re-married after my divorce and have no children.

Lauren59 Sat 29-Oct-22 23:59:51

M0nica

I would tell him to start acting his age and not his shoe size.

That’s a good one. I’m going to remember it for future use.😂

Horti Sat 29-Oct-22 10:28:45

Yes all sensible comments
I think he actually wants our GC to
Like him and gets jealous if he doesn’t get a positive reaction but I do as I put more effort in ! It’s strange
He was jealous of attention I spent on DD years ago also but also didn’t put effort in to form a good relationship again due jealousy until she’d left home

ParlorGames Fri 28-Oct-22 12:04:05

My ex would behave in exactly the same way.........hence he is now my ex. I cannot tolerate manipulative jealousy and NO ONE tells me how much time I can dedicate to my own DD, SIL and GD.

M0nica Fri 28-Oct-22 12:00:37

I would tell him to start acting his age and not his shoe size.

Sipti1983 Fri 28-Oct-22 11:24:39

I think it can work both ways though. I have a friend, who took redundancy from work one day and took over child care for her daughter the next. Her husband and her had discussed this before hand and he had made it clear that he didn't want to spend his free time as a childminder, even though he loved his grandchildren. He felt they were in their twilight years and wanted to spend time together as they had always worked very hard. His wife however just wanted to spend time with their grandchildren and could not understand why her husband did not. It caused a lasting problem in their relationship. It can work two ways. I'm not sure why OP's husband is jealous, whether its because he wants more time with the grandchildren himself or of the time they are not spending together as a couple, but clearly its a discussion they have to have.

Horti Thu 27-Oct-22 11:14:13

I’ve also had a few months of health problems which are starting to resolve

Horti Thu 27-Oct-22 11:10:45

During lockdown there wasn’t much choice to change things
Since then the health problems and other family needs have needed both of us to help with
I’m biding my time to see how things pan out moving forward
Yes he is like a spoilt child with jealousy issues !

DollyD Wed 26-Oct-22 18:46:03

Why are you "ticking along" with this person who treats you so badly?
Who is jealous of your relationship with your GC, who gets nasty if you spend time with your GC, who enjoys putting you down to others and is generally difficult and unhelpful, who you managed to get through lockdown with without too much confrontation, who is trying to play your Dd and you off against each other but luckily you don't succumb to this.
Again, why?

Norah Wed 26-Oct-22 17:33:36

Perhaps you could help with DD and leave him to GS?

Let him have the whole baby care situation, I'll bet he changes his tune when he's in charge of all things baby.

Redhead56 Wed 26-Oct-22 16:08:14

I have heard about this kind of situation quite a few times. I think you must be patient because if it was me I would blast him.
He does sound like a spoilt little boy who has had his nose pushed out. You need to have a word with him the sooner the better.
You mentioned your DD has had problems. The last thing she needs is listening to bickering. For her sake alone I would talk to him before it's gets out of hand.

Poppyred Wed 26-Oct-22 12:07:34

He sounds like a jealous child! I wouldn’t put up with it! Has he always been like this?

Farmor15 Wed 26-Oct-22 11:11:30

Just responding to bring post further up the list!

Is he jealous of the time you spend with GC, instead of with him? I think you mean he wants to have more time with the baby than you have or develop a closer relationship.

Can't really offer any advice, but this is a relatively new situation in your lives and some people don't react well to change. I'd be inclined to ignore it, though when you say "he gets nasty" you may need to respond - though walking away can be a good tactic. Others here may be able to help.

Horti Wed 26-Oct-22 04:01:48

Hi
Has anyone come across having a husband who is jealous of your relationship with your GC
We are fairly new first time grandparents
We have been heavily involved with helping our DD as she’s had some health issues after the birth as has our GC
Most of the time we tick along but my husband gets nasty if he thinks I’ve had more direct time with our GC
I don’t see it as competitive in any way
He also enjoys putting me down to others and has become generally difficult /unhelpful
We’ve had some rocky times in recent years and the pandemic didn’t help much either although we again ticked sling without too much confrontation during that period
He seems to be trying to play our DD and me off against each other but we don’t succumbe to this
To me this is all unnecessary aggravation I could do without
I prefer Co operation