Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Complete a survey for L'Oreal and you could win £250. NOW CLOSED

(32 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 05-Jan-15 14:10:33

We're going to be working with L'Oreal for the next few weeks and they're really keen to understand how women aged over 55 feel they are represented in society and in the media.

Please complete this survey to give your opinions - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S3XXBMY

It's open to UK gransnetters* aged 55 and over. Everyone who completes the survey (adding their username) will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive £250.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
GNHQ

*if you don't have a Gransnet username simply click the join button at the top of the page to get one. It only takes a second or two

Grannyknot Mon 05-Jan-15 20:37:47

Done.

NanKate Mon 05-Jan-15 20:54:18

Done for me also.

vampirequeen Tue 06-Jan-15 13:12:11

done

barbarast Tue 06-Jan-15 16:08:17

I did the survey but I put my username as barbaras missed the t off the end!

Madwuman Tue 06-Jan-15 16:45:43

Completed honestly :D

FlicketyB Tue 06-Jan-15 18:08:15

Filled it in but thought it a daft questionnaire that will give them little useful information.

I couldn't fill in the first question, I do not understand the concept of a 'perfect' age and have certainly never had one. Also whether I felt personally ignored by the media. As I have yet to do anything that could be expected to attract media attention how can the media have had any reason to ignore me personally.

Once again this survey is treating older women from 50 to 100 plus as if they were an identikit group. For heavens sake would you treat women from 0 years to 50 as an identikit group? Of course you wouldn't, why do the same with women from 50 - 100?

The older we get the more various we become in looks, health, clothes, self presentation, attitudes, life styles etc etc etc.

Stop treating us as sheep. All white haired, similar is size and look and moving around in flocks.

nightowl Tue 06-Jan-15 19:10:53

Sorry I can't fill in a questionnaire for a company that tests on animals.

durhamjen Tue 06-Jan-15 19:27:07

It's now owned by Nestle.

rosesarered Tue 06-Jan-15 21:03:42

done it!

daisyduck Tue 06-Jan-15 21:29:14

Completed, quite painless, quick and easy smile

nightowl Tue 06-Jan-15 22:24:31

Even worse durhamjen. Wish it was painless for the animals sad

FlicketyB Wed 07-Jan-15 07:20:39

Whether I filled in the questionnaire or not, I have never needed to, nor will ever need to consider whether L'Oreal test cosmetics on animals as I do not and will never use their products because my skin allergies mean that I have to use organic products that do not include preservatives. I would certainly not want to use products tested on animals.

Grannyknot Wed 07-Jan-15 08:39:15

Is this information incorrect, then?

www.loreal.com/csr-commitments/loreal-answers/the-question-of-animal-testing.aspx

And in the FAQ section:

^What do you mean by "An exception could be made if authorities required it for human safety or regulatory purposes"?

The exception is very rare and stems from the variety of regulations worldwide. Certain authorities have not yet accepted alternative methods in their country and could hypothetically require us to conduct safety evaluations on animals. Also, in response to questions raised by the scientific community and by civil society, local authorities could choose to reexamine the safety data of a known family of ingredients, and could require new safety data^.

Perhaps GNHQ could clarify why they think it's okay to work with L'Oreal and promote the survey.

nightowl Wed 07-Jan-15 08:54:45

The last 'get out clause' you quote grannyknot is one many companies have used to justify their expansion into the very lucrative market in China. All cosmetics have to be tested on animals in China, whether or not they have already been tested, or certified as not tested elsewhere in the world. It means that many companies that previously were proud of their cruelty free credentials have sold out in this way and it is necessary to read the small print to be sure that they are still cruelty free. Sadly, it means that the ban on testing products or ingredients that was introduced in Europe in 2013 (I think), whilst representing a huge step forward for animals, has been severely undermined by the cosmetic companies' readiness to trade with countries that have no such safeguards and no discernible animal welfare standards.

Grannyknot Wed 07-Jan-15 10:24:41

How depressing.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Jan-15 19:04:24

Crikey. I didn't know this. Food for thought. I cannot condone testing on animals for cosmetics.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Jan-15 19:09:34

"an exception could be made if regulatory authorities required it for safety or regulatory purposes"

Don't trade with them then.

Ana Wed 07-Jan-15 22:31:46

I looked at the survey and decided it was ridiculously intrusive anyway. Why on earth would anyone want to volunteer so much information to a cosmetics firm?

I don't buy their stuff any more either.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Jan-15 09:50:39

Thank you everyone for your comments so far. Please be assured we think very, very carefully before working with any commercial organization in any way. In this instance, we're genuinely excited to be asked to involve gransnetters in what we passionately believe is an important area of discussion. We've all heard about how invisible women over a certain age mysteriously become in the media, marketing and advertising, so, given the chance for gransnetters to participate in a major high-profile debate about women's views on age and beauty it was too great an opportunity to ignore. For anyone concerned about animal testing, the link kindly posted earlier by Grannynet can give you more information. And finally, with regards to Nestle (they own 23% of L'Oreal) Gransnet (in line with Mumsnet) has a very strict advertising policy which you can read all about here www.mumsnet.com/campaigns/nestle.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Jan-15 12:09:07

Not net Knot

Mishap Thu 08-Jan-15 15:37:56

Thank goodness I never wear makeup!

NfkDumpling Thu 08-Jan-15 20:13:17

filled it in but why over 55? That's not an older woman! 70 maybe.

nightowl Thu 08-Jan-15 21:10:01

Yes Gigi the link kindly provided by Grannyknot does indeed confirm L'Oreal's stance on animal testing, which is that they do it 'where regulatory authorities demand it for safety if regulatory purposes'. In other words, in countries such as China where animal testing is required by law.

Another link for anyone in any doubt

www.loreal.com//Faq.aspx?topcode=CorpTopic_Comt_Answers_AT_FAQ#CorpTopic_Comt_Answers_AT_FAQ_7

There are some companies that have decided they will not trade in China because they stand by their cruelty free principles. A brave decision in this competitive market, but I admire them enormously and they are the companies I will continue to support. If only the giants like L'Oreal would take the same stance.

craftygran Fri 09-Jan-15 10:38:46

Done