Gransnet forums

Pets

Refreezing chicken for my lovely old cat

(12 Posts)
mumski Thu 21-Mar-24 10:05:40

Any advice welcome. I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks in April. I'm fretting about leaving my nearly 20 year old cat. My neighbour whose lovely will look after her really well.
However, my cat has become so fussy with what she eats - and she's allowed smile.
She now mostly eats chicken fillets that I've bought frozen, cooked in the microwave, then chopped into small pieces for her. I don't want my neighbour to have the fuss of having to cook them for her. So I thought I would cook quite a few and then portion them up in to small containers and pop them in the freezer for her to use when needed.
My question is, Is it safe to refreeze the chicken as it has been frozen previously? What do you think?

MaizieD Thu 21-Mar-24 10:11:40

I think it will be fine. The reason for not refreezing only really applies if you'd thawed some raw meat and then refrozen it without cooking it. This would allow time for harmful bacteria to multiply. A further defrost would allow even more bacteria to flourish!

Once the meat is cooked thoroughly the bacteria will have been destroyed, so refreezing and defrosting should be perfectly safe.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Mar-24 10:16:21

And don’t forget that a cats stomach has enzymes very different to humans - so bugs that would floor us are destroyed by a cats gut.

Shelflife Thu 21-Mar-24 11:22:19

I think it will be fine for your lovely old lady. 20 amazing!
Have a lovely holiday.

Philippa111 Thu 21-Mar-24 11:31:59

I would just make sure that you cook it really well and it will be fine.
I'm sure quite some ready meals will have been made with frozen and thawed chicken before refreezing.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Mar-24 12:10:08

I'm going to make chicken casserole for us today; there'll be too much for two so I'll freeze the rest for another time.

I think as long as it's chilled quickly, eaten within a couple of months and thawed in the fridge it will be fine.

The same for the chicken for the cat. Don't re-freeze leftovers.

Baggs Thu 21-Mar-24 12:11:55

That will be fine, mumski, so long as the chicken is cooked and then frozen. Have a lovely holiday.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Mar-24 12:12:04

I'm going to make chicken casserole for us today
I should have said, I'm making it from frozen raw chicken, defrosted in fridge.

Cossy Thu 21-Mar-24 12:12:17

I’m pretty sure they’ll be fine. I’ve done this for dogs before. Enjoy your break

Astitchintime Thu 21-Mar-24 12:16:54

Thawed raw meat can safely be frozen again AFTER it has been cooked. For years I have batch cooked with raw ingredients from the freezer and after portioning and cooling thoroughly the meals go back into the freezer.

HowVeryDareYou2 Thu 21-Mar-24 12:59:53

The chicken will be fine like that. At one time, I had 3 cats who all had chicken done in the same way.

mumski Thu 21-Mar-24 15:12:10

Thank you for all your really helpful and kind replies.
That's put my mind at rest. smile
I shall get cooking x