Gransnet forums

Pets

dog leaking a bit of wee

(12 Posts)
busybee6969 Mon 04-Mar-24 08:40:13

hi i have an 8 and a half year old yorkie/poo, had kidney problems last year , on renal food and a pill am and pm, happy fit dog,i noticed he has a very slight wee dribble odd time, notice more first thing in morning, he sleeps on end of my bed. so put down thick towels and change top one often to avoid a smell. i now give him a quick wipe in that area and keep his fur short there, he is very hard to get medication down hom, was on a liquid in his food but now wont take it, any one any tips or experience in this sort of problem ,as i say its not very bad, thank you

Iam64 Mon 04-Mar-24 08:51:52

Vet check.
Tablets rolled in something he loves, roast chicken, cream cheese. If it’s fluid meds, the vet will give yiu a plastic syringe to squirt it in with
Can you encourage him to sleep in his bed then yiu can easily wash bedding. Hope he’s. Ok

Oldbat1 Mon 04-Mar-24 09:19:59

One of my dogs needs a paracetamol a day. Half in morning half in evening. I buy cheap cheap pate and roll into a ball with half tablet inside. Give it a try. From memory the tablet my previous dog had for “leakage” was small and was reduced down eventually to a quarter.

midgey Mon 04-Mar-24 09:30:45

Dog peanut butter is very handy to wrap tablets in.

busybee6969 Mon 04-Mar-24 09:45:23

Hi my dogs under the vets alreafy.i buy mini cocktail sausage pre cooked to hide his daily pills.only saw vet 2 weeks ago for his regular wee and blood tests.he has a lovely bed next yo mine .but sneaks on end off mine during the night.i might buy some puppy pads to put on top of the towels at end of my bed.he only leaks a little bit.thank you for your replys

FlexibleFriend Mon 04-Mar-24 11:20:02

You can get him a belly band with a Tena lady placed inside to absorb any leaks and smells, which should also save on the washing.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C9T6S2CF/ref=twister_B0CGLC76CC?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=gransnetforum-21

Gin Mon 04-Mar-24 11:31:05

My friend’s dog is very old and regularly has leaks. She uses the above mentioned belly bands. They work very well and stand up to constant washing. The dog never tries to pull it off.

Astitchintime Mon 04-Mar-24 11:33:56

Could you try the little pants that people use on female dogs when they're in season?

Jewelle Mon 04-Mar-24 11:38:40

My dog has Addisons Disease which is very well managed by our vet, however she did start to wet herself when she was asleep due to the amount of water she drinks, so the vet put her on half a tablet of Incurin once a day and it works wonders, she doesn’t leak any more.

She is very good at taking tablets, so I can’t help as to how to get your dog to take the tablets, but the tablet stuffed inside a small piece of cheese has always worked wonders if my other dog ever needs tablets.

Oldbat1 Mon 04-Mar-24 19:22:16

busybee6969

Hi my dogs under the vets alreafy.i buy mini cocktail sausage pre cooked to hide his daily pills.only saw vet 2 weeks ago for his regular wee and blood tests.he has a lovely bed next yo mine .but sneaks on end off mine during the night.i might buy some puppy pads to put on top of the towels at end of my bed.he only leaks a little bit.thank you for your replys

I bought “kylie” protector pads from A****n. They are a human bed protector. They wash really well. Dont make a noise. I feel they serve a “just in case” purpose. Inexpensive.

Dinahmo Tue 05-Mar-24 12:03:35

My Ruby was excellent at removing a pill from whatever it was wrapped in and would spit it out. One day she spat a pill and my foxy was faster than me and ate it. He'd already had one so I phoned the vet, took him in and he was given an injection to make him sick. I then took him out into the garden to vomit. Luckily the pill came out whole so he was OK. That little trip cost me over 100 euros.

busybee6969 Tue 05-Mar-24 21:05:55

update, went with a wee sample to the vets with my dog, he does have a water infection on antibiotics, so fingers crossed this will help thank you all for your answers