Gransnet forums

Pets

A colleague at work had to have her cat put to sleep today

(7 Posts)
Shinamae Mon 05-Feb-24 22:02:39

And it cost her £400…..🫣

Calipso Mon 05-Feb-24 22:26:27

Shinamae did that figure include the cost of investigations or medication / treatment prior to the cat being put to sleep. My recent sad experience of this cost around £200 - the vet and nurse came to our house.

Gingster Mon 05-Feb-24 22:31:35

My DD found her cat dead in the shed 😢. She took him to the vet who charged her £100 to dispose of the body. 😳

Oldbat1 Mon 05-Feb-24 22:40:46

The vets have to pay the animal crematoriums to come to collect such animals. They may also have to keep the bodies in their freezer until collection can be booked. There is also the facility for owners to take the pet themselves. Option of individual cremation with return of ashes or cremation with other animals whereby ashes will not be returned. Everything costs but i think £400 is expensive. My vet came to the house to pts and took my dog away which cost £100 which was the same cost when my cat was pts - admittedly a couple of years ago. Sad times.

lemsip Mon 05-Feb-24 22:50:02

way back in the 70s my budgie became distressed and was fluttering round the cage.. I phoned out of hours vet and they came and put it too sleep. the bill was £8 for euthanasia.. was a lot of money back then.

Aveline Tue 06-Feb-24 06:46:03

Having our poor cat pts two weeks ago cost £250. We took him to the vet. I suppose there was a consultation fee plus meds plus disposal. Just cremation and ashes in a common plot.
Next week we received a condolence card with long handwritten message in it as well as a packet of Forget Me Not seeds and a card for a pet bereavement counselling hot line. Not sure what to think of that.

Daddima Tue 06-Feb-24 07:14:11

We paid £250 a few years ago for our dog to be put to sleep. The vet came to the house, then took him away, and we got the ashes back a few days later. They stayed in the cupboard until the Bodach died, when they went into his coffin. I thought that was a reasonable price.

I am now reminded of a colleague who came to work one day telling us that her cat had died. We were a bit freaked out by the fact that she had brought the corpse to work in her bag, to drop it off at the vet on her way home for disposal to save on fees.