Gransnet forums

Pets

What's wrong?

(24 Posts)
farview Sat 20-Jan-24 20:54:16

My beautiful, loving, cocker spaniel,has suddenly gone crazy.
..7pm..let her out for a wee..I always shout "treat" to get her back in...she came in and went to her treat tin...as I was getting one for her...she started barking and looking at the back door. eyes a bit crazy...then pacing around the house growling...(bungalow)...I went into my bedroom to put pjs on...as per she jumped on my bed...I went to stroke her...she turned her head quickly and tried to bite me...couple of hours later now and she is still hyper and barking and not her usual beautiful gentle self...I've never felt scared of a dog but am on edge now...she always sleeps on my bed...I'm now feeling worried. Cant leave her in living room she will keep barking and H has Alzheimer's/dementia..flipping nightmare...

SueDonim Sat 20-Jan-24 21:02:30

Could it be Rage Syndrome? All I know about it is that a friend’s dog developed it and they sadly lost their pet. I hope you can get to the source of the problem.

www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rage_syndrome.htm

Aveline Sat 20-Jan-24 21:02:55

I wonder if she's reacting to the forthcoming storm? Depends where you live I suppose. We're in an amber zone and the wind is getting up.
Alternatively, could she have eaten something odd when outside?

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jan-24 21:10:49

I once remember a dog I had really going strange and hackles up and low growls every now and then and it was a rat she had seen which none of us saw Could she have been spooked by something outside
It seems strange if an illness has come on in half an hour without any previous problems

crazyH Sat 20-Jan-24 21:11:01

Animals can see and feel what humans can’t -as Aveline says , she is probably sensing the forthcoming storm ⛈️

farview Sat 20-Jan-24 21:14:23

She's a monkey...always eating things outside...and yes the wind is getting up a bit here..but weve had high winds before which haven't bothered her.....immediately after she tried to bite me.she knew I was upset and kept putting a paw on me..(apology??)...she truly is,normally, the most loving girl...everyone hugs her...she loves it....this is bizarre

MayBee70 Sat 20-Jan-24 21:18:57

My whippet was spinning around in the garden the other night. Not sure if it was the wind, the snow on the ground or that she’d got the scent is something. How old is your dog? What colour is she? Has something irritated her skin eg has she been walked on salted gritted pavements? Is it windy where you are Could you give her a piriton to calm her down ( must be piriton not any other antihistamine.)

farview Sat 20-Jan-24 21:24:18

High winds aren't expected until tomorrow night here..she is 18months old,black,she has been walked on the park and moors today as normal...no salt or grit...she was herself and perfectly happy until 7pm...very odd...shes eaten ok....very worrying

Esmay Sat 20-Jan-24 21:27:25

Rage syndrome can occur in red Cockers and not usually in the other colours .
I've had many Cocker Spaniels and they are the most loving , gentle and devoted breed .
But I've known them become extremely distressed by things such as fireworks ( I dreaded November 5th ) even teenage girls with high pitched voices .
One of them was terrified of drainpipes .
When stressed they've attacked each other , but not me .
Perhaps , your dog has been frightened by something .

It's advisable to consult a vet to safeguard your family .

MayBee70 Sat 20-Jan-24 21:30:40

Why do these things always happen when the vets are closed! Are you on a spaniel Facebook page? I always find people really helpful on the whippet pages and there are usually people awake through the night. When we went to dog training they advised us to get our dogs used to wearing a muzzle so that, if ever they needed to wear one it wouldn’t bother them. Are there any toads in your garden? Might she have picked one up in her mouth?

MayBee70 Sat 20-Jan-24 21:33:25

Esmay

Rage syndrome can occur in red Cockers and not usually in the other colours .
I've had many Cocker Spaniels and they are the most loving , gentle and devoted breed .
But I've known them become extremely distressed by things such as fireworks ( I dreaded November 5th ) even teenage girls with high pitched voices .
One of them was terrified of drainpipes .
When stressed they've attacked each other , but not me .
Perhaps , your dog has been frightened by something .

It's advisable to consult a vet to safeguard your family .

I think it can happen in other solid colours, too, but I think it has, thankfully, been bred out of them. When I had blue roan cockers there were a lot of problems with golden ones, but that was a long time ago.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Jan-24 22:14:29

I think she’s been spooked by something

Gwyllt Sat 20-Jan-24 22:21:00

When my son was out his young cocker did something similar
We panicked and thought cocker rage
Think it was probs a bee or wasp sting or something similar
Lasted about half an hour as far as I can remember
Never happened again
He is now eight

Lexisgranny Sat 20-Jan-24 22:37:50

Gwyllt we had the same problem with a young dog after a bee sting. He had previously been a quiet and very loving animal, when he suddenly started snarling and growling. It last for about three quarters of an hour, the he became his old self again and let us examine him, which is when we found the sting.

Dogmum2 Sat 20-Jan-24 22:43:50

Oh i am sorry to hear this. Yes, something may have spooked her and hopefully she calms, but it may be worth checking if she needs to go out again? Maybe she has hurt herself? Will she let you touch her gently all over? Often dogs act differently/snap when in pain.
Whatever it is - and hopefully something simple, it will take her a while to settle back down after an episode of stress, so don't be surprised if she acts differently for a couple of days.
As others have said, she may have sensed something, eaten something, anything.
If she doesn't improve then i would contact your vet for advice, most vets have a 24 out of hours telephone service. Hopefully she calms and i would take her to the vet on Monday.
Take care.

Nell8 Sat 20-Jan-24 23:13:02

Foxes seem to be coming into the garden more at the moment, probably looking for spilled bird food. They're always mooching around at night.

farview Sun 21-Jan-24 06:44:35

Well she settled down and slept on my bed as usual...she seems fine just a little quieter than usual ...

Joseann Sun 21-Jan-24 07:03:03

I am pleased for you both that she had a comfortable night. My guess is that she came in contact with something that spooked her. A quiet day today and this evening maybe take her outside on a lead.

Casdon Sun 21-Jan-24 07:05:36

She must have had unfinished business in the garden. I’ve got a cocker, and he can’t rest at all if he sees a squirrel in the garden, he behaves exactly as you described, apart from biting, he’s never tried to do that. I tend to let him stay out and run madly sniffing round the garden until he’s satisfied that it’s gone. Mine is very food driven, so he’d always come for a treat, but that wouldn’t settle him down until he’d satisfied his prey drive.

loopyloo Sun 21-Jan-24 07:09:36

My money is on foxes.

farview Sun 21-Jan-24 08:35:05

Shes just been in the garden..nose to the ground...maybe was a fox...we do get them on the farm at the end of our garden..but she is her normal happy self thank God..

watermeadow Sun 21-Jan-24 20:12:44

Foxes mating season and cats too. Our dogs can hear and smell so much better than us.

RosiesMaw Sun 21-Jan-24 20:52:51

My thought last night was that she had possibly encountered or tangled with a fox or maybe a hedgehog.
Glad all is well today 🐶

crazyH Sun 21-Jan-24 20:57:54

Glad she has settled farview