Gransnet forums

Pets

dog problem

(7 Posts)
busybee6969 Mon 25-Dec-23 10:50:50

got a 8 year old yorkie/poo,got renal problems on renal food.tummy supplements couple of pills a day for his wee problem,has regular wee tests at vets and blood tests levels getting better,few times recently come home to find his willy is a bit excited , he does a wobbly walk then it goes back to normal.saw the vet a month ago for usual checkup mentioned problem,they checked his anal gland incase it was full and pressing on his prostrate ie causing the swelling ,came out very red faced,settled down only happens odd time only a bit soon back to normal.yesterday in dining room wrapping xmas presents dog next to me on his chair he stood up willy bit swollen funny walk went down in minutes, i was with him before so i know he was not doing anythin g to get it excited, anyone else had this problem with their dog, eating normal playing with his toys/going to the loo fine, so anyone else been through this,thank you

RosiesMaw Mon 25-Dec-23 11:08:55

First of all, to save your blushes it is PROSTATE not "prostrate" !
Has he been neutered?

Esmay Mon 25-Dec-23 11:17:58

I had a male dog ( a five year old rescue ) which had erections all day long .
He humped everything - his bed and his favourite - the legs of any visitor .With young people it caused great amusement , but older visitors were upset and embarrassed .
His prostate was suspect .
I had him neutered .
The vet said that he was hugely endowed and laughed about it !
And the problem went away .
I've always expressed anal glands myself .
The only unpleasantness for me is the smell .

Blinko Mon 25-Dec-23 11:27:01

Makes having a dog sound so attractive - not!

sodapop Mon 25-Dec-23 13:42:27

It is considered quite impolite to correct spelling or grammatical errors on here RosiesMaw

I'm sure your vet must have discussed your dog's castration with you busybee or maybe he has already had the op. Our JR had major problems with bladder stones which our vet said may have been avoided if he was castrated.

busybee6969 Mon 25-Dec-23 14:37:08

yes he has been done,sorry for spelling a word wrong,will go back to the vets once xmas is over thank you all

vissos Mon 25-Dec-23 14:59:31

I've got a 6yo neutered Chi, he was almost 5 when I got him. He's always getting his willy out, doesn't do anything in particular & it just goes back in again. It's no problem other than washable marks on my lap or chair. It only causes problems if they can't get it back in again, then it's a case of ky jelly (or similar - not Vaseline), or a trip to the vet. Luckily, it's not come to that...