Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs barking

(7 Posts)
Phillips Wed 15-Nov-23 11:46:24

Good morning
I need some advice.
Two doors away they have three wired haired terriers. They are locked out in the back garden while the parents are at work. No joke they bark for hours.
I have contacted the local council and complained. I sent recordings of the incessant barking and they installed a recording monitor in our conservatory.
But for some reason the dogs decided they’d be quiet for most of the days (8 in total) so this wasn’t a true picture of what we endure.
The local authority has come back and said because “ the noise does not suggest the use and enjoyment of our property is being materially affected “ So no further action will be taken. They have suggested we take it to the magistrates court. I assume at my expense
Anyone been through similar? Any advice please

Theexwife Wed 15-Nov-23 12:23:57

Are the owners aware? If the barking is when they are out then they may not know about it.

Gillycats Wed 15-Nov-23 13:40:11

Why on Earth did they get the poor dogs in the first place. I’d try again with the recordings and perhaps mention to the owners that the incessant noise is upsetting to you. Are there any neighbours that are also upset by it? The more complaints there are the more likely the council will intervene. Hope you get a resolution to this.

Elless Wed 15-Nov-23 14:28:07

We are in the same boat with our neighbours 4 dogs, why do they keep them if they are at work all day?. I know it is time consuming but keep a log for a week or so and submit that to the council.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Nov-23 15:06:10

Yes, we had a problem years ago with neighbours at the back of us, the poor dog was shut outside all day while they were at work. Environmental Health Dept. at the Council were not interested at all.
Had we realised so many neighbours were distressed by this we could have banded together and spoken to the owner or demanded more action from the Council. One neighbour used to take the poor dog into her house occasionally.

Have you contacted other neighbours at all? Strength in numbers.
Poor dogs, perhaps the RSPCA might do something, if only to have a word with the owners; leaving dogs outside all day in this appalling weather is cruel.

The only way ours was resolved was when they moved away (it was a rented house) but we could still hear it barking in the distance for a few years afterwards.

HowVeryDareYou2 Wed 15-Nov-23 16:33:21

I take it you're not in England? (It's too cold for dogs to be outside all day) Ring an animal welfare place and say you're concerned. OR go round, open the garden gate, and let them out.

tickingbird Wed 15-Nov-23 16:40:13

I don’t think letting them out is a good idea, although tempting for the poor dogs. Anything could happen to them.