Gransnet forums

Pets

Why did the vet ask if anyone was immune suppressed?

(11 Posts)
Nandalot Tue 14-Nov-23 13:55:19

Why did the vet ask if anyone living with us was immunosuppressed before giving our dog her kennel cough vaccination? I should have asked at the time but was taken by surprise.

Theexwife Tue 14-Nov-23 14:01:09

There is a potential risk of infections to humans caused by the vaccine, however although it is possible there is no evidence that it has happened , also applies to babies and pregnant women.

My vet explained this some years ago.

Nandalot Tue 14-Nov-23 14:10:55

Thank you. Fingers crossed we don’t prove the exception!

BlueBelle Tue 14-Nov-23 14:22:19

How strange that you didn’t ask at the time the vet asked you
We re all different but I would have said ‘Why’ s that’ to the question

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Nov-23 14:24:10

I have never been asked that.

Norah Tue 14-Nov-23 14:31:51

Dogs can be carriers of some illness - to people.

Katie59 Tue 14-Nov-23 15:51:22

I did look this up, the kennel cough is a live oral vaccine, in theory if a immuno suppressed person is in the room the dog could sneeze and spread the vaccine. The risk is very low and asking a susceptible person to leave the room is an easy safeguard.

Nandalot Tue 14-Nov-23 22:41:19

Bluebelle, yes, I should have asked but at the time was coping with a very stressed, shaking and panting dog. I just wanted to get it done quickly.
Katie59, that’s good to know; she didn’t sneeze!

dotpocka Tue 14-Nov-23 22:58:29

cats and dogs can get Coronavirus
and alist of things passed between animals and humans

Joseann Wed 15-Nov-23 08:12:11

That's interesting.
On the doors at our vets, there are notices asking if a human pet owner is on such and such a medication, and to tell the vet. But I've never really questioned why?

Katie59 Wed 15-Nov-23 09:02:42

If you live with the dog or other pet, even if you are immuno suppressed it is likely that you are already immune to that pets risks.
Even so vets have to take every possible precaution.