Gransnet forums

Pets

Advice re dog poo - finish your breakfast first

(19 Posts)
Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 10:49:11

My 4 year old wolf type dog for the past 2 weeks has needed me to clean his bum. No change in food, no problems with my other dogs. Have wormed him but no change. He lets me clean him up but it is a scrub job. If I can’t sort him I will take him to vets but he is a rescue (had him since he was 6 months) and he is agoraphobic, will not go more than 100 yards from house (luckily we have a large garden). Any ideas?

dogsmother Wed 27-Sep-23 11:50:03

Does he need a hygiene trim. Simply put is he a bit to hairy in that region?

MayBee70 Wed 27-Sep-23 11:54:19

Is his poo runny or just softer than usual? Is it worth giving him some pro kolin or adding probiotics to his food? Are his anal glands blocked?

sodapop Wed 27-Sep-23 12:24:28

Good answers on here Tizliz you mention your dog is agoraphobic, could he be getting stressed about something if he is already nervous.
Must be difficult getting him to the vet as well. Hope you find a solution.

Dee1012 Wed 27-Sep-23 12:35:02

I have a dog who occasionally has 'loose movements'.

My vet suggested that when it happens - withhold food for 12 / 24 hours and then chicken with rice or Chappie dog food for a day or twohmm, I have to be honest, it always works a treat!

Vito Wed 27-Sep-23 14:26:47

Has he been eating grass ? Mine sometimes have to have a bit of 'help" when they've had a munch or a graze on grass .

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 14:32:28

No trim needed, no runny poos, always eats grass. Why just him and not the others? Prokolin is a good idea.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 27-Sep-23 14:39:37

Blocked anal glands was my first thought too. Does he scoot along the floor on his behind? This is usually a sure sign of trouble with anal glands.

As to his agrophobia - sounds like the poor dog was dumped somewhere far from home by his previous owner!

Have you tried walking the 100 yards he is comfortable with, then going quite literally 1 or 2 yards more. Then make a great fuss of him for being a good, brave boy, and telling him, "Now we shall go home. Find the way home, boy!" and let him go home at his own speed, whether this means running as fast as you can, or him sniffing at every weed, lamp-post etc. to find his way.

Then a big fuss of him when he finds home. After a week of 102 yard walks try 105.

If I am right, that he was dumped somewhere and could not find his home again, he should become more comfortable when he realises that he can find his way back, and if not ´, you can and will lead him home.

Or is he all right walking, but scared of the car? If that is the case, definately a "dumped" dog!

Is he more confident if one of the other dogs is with you?

I can see the difficulty of getting him to the vet, when he is scared to leave his home - how long have you had him?

My father had an Alsatian that had been dumped - it took two years of patiently putting more food in that dog's bowl when he had eaten a little of his dinner to get him to realise that he was welcome to his food, and although he loved my parents, Rex , if he got out of the garden alone, did not dare come withing arm, or foot's lenght of them ever. Daddy got the dog to come, by parking his car with the back door open and walking round the next street corner. The car was fixed in Rex' mind as the marvel that had transported him from the police pound to his beloved home, so safe to enter.

westendgirl Wed 27-Sep-23 14:49:08

Is there a vet who will do house visits . It's worth looking for in this situation. Failing that a chat to your vet might give some solutions. By the way chicken and rice is a great help.

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 14:56:06

Don’t think he was dumped, just returned to breeder, so breeder to new home back to breeder then to us all in the space of 3 months. I spent 2 weeks sitting on the bedroom floor talking to him hiding under the bed. When he eventually settled down I lead trained him in the garden, then we slowly expanded down the lane. Some days he would go a bit further but any cars put him off. He is a lovely boy now and interacts with the other two well. Had a few rescues in our time (one of the other dogs is an almost rescue - the owners became friends and asked us to take her on because they couldn’t cope) so have a bit of experience.

They all scoot seems to be a trait of the breed, but he leaves a mess ☹️

He has got this week to sort himself out then it is down to the vets whether he likes it or not 😁😁 (I hear echos of my MIL who always threatened by OH’s collie with the vet when he misbehaved).

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 15:02:27

We used to have a lovely vet and though they don’t normally do house calls if she had to go to the farm next door she would pop in - she loved our dogs. But, like so many practices now they have sold out to a big company and she has moved away.

He will go in the car but OH will have to drive while I hold him (the dog not the OH!). Can’t physically get him in the dog crate as we are too old. Lesson to be learnt ‘don’t have a 40 kilo dog when you are in your 70s’.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Sep-23 16:12:49

Someone on Facebook had a similar problem and one of the things advised was to give Panacur for a few days. It is a wormer but it also treats giardia which some dogs suffer from. When my current dog kept getting diahorrea as a puppy I gave her a course of Panacur. I did admit what I’d done to my vet and she was fine about it( you usually take a stool sample to the vets to rule it out). In fact, thinking about it, if it persists you could probably take a stool sample to your vets which would save the dog from a stressful visit.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Sep-23 16:15:51

The person recommending it said her dog didn’t suffer from Giardia but she found that a short course always helped her 11 year old dog when it had a poorly tummy. Slippery elm can help, too but I can’t remember the amount to give.

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 18:40:44

I am not sure what the cause is as he is doing his usual poos, not runny at all. It is a mystery.

Started him on pro kolin, not over happy with the taste - only ate it, on cooked chicken skin, to stop the others getting it

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 18:42:01

This breed can’t take panacur, they just bring it back up

MayBee70 Wed 27-Sep-23 19:33:32

Is it because his poo is oily?

Iam64 Wed 27-Sep-23 19:46:32

Does he always eat grass or is it mostly the yiung fresh grass? My young lab was anxious after my husband died and I suspect his increased grass eating was stress related.
I’m a great believer in tinned Chappie in response to gastric probs. Also Propalin. I give mine probiotic yoghurt a couple of times a week
Let us know how it goes

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 21:09:31

MayBee70

Is it because his poo is oily?

No!

Tizliz Wed 27-Sep-23 21:11:35

They eat half raw and half kibble with home made liver treats, all good stuff. Some of their raw is wild venison.