Gransnet forums

Pets

Advice please re wound on leg

(21 Posts)
2020convert Sun 24-Sep-23 12:19:40

My two year old returned has had a sore leg ever since returning from the groomers over a week ago. I’ve tried everything to stop him licking and nibbling it (It must be itching like mad)
Ended up at the vets on Thursday. Shave and ointment. Wouldn’t commit as to whether the was the groomers fault (groomer denies it is, of course) So £80 for the vet and now still trying to encourage healing.
Wears a cone of shame most of the time and a sock bandage when he’s sitting close to me in the evening but just won’t leave it alone.
As yet it doesn’t look any better.
Any tips?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 24-Sep-23 14:25:06

Apart from muzzling him, or leaving the cone on all the time. no, I can't think of anything you could try.

shysal Sun 24-Sep-23 14:49:28

For my cats I use Grannick's Bitter Apple spray on minor to medium wounds. It prevents licking if applied morning and night, and means you don't have to use the cone collar. Available on Ebay or Amazon.
Failing that I have used a healing spray from Amazon, that Vets use on farm animals, I forget the name of it. It is similar to human liquid/gel plasters, but I wasn't sure if that was harmful to lick. I allowed to dry then used the bitter apple spray.
Good luck!

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 18:26:12

Could you buy one of those dog pyjamas that have legs? What kind of dog is he? I had a dog that had a sore leg that she kept licking and, from memory, I think it became granulated because of the licking, but I can’t remember how I resolved the problem.Maybe a baby grow cut in half so it goes over the shoulder but covers the leg?

Nanatoone Sun 24-Sep-23 18:29:18

We had this with our JRT and we persisted with the cone of shame as she would not stop. We knew of another JRT who lost his leg (3 legged now awwww) sue to this so it’s really important to stop the licking

2020convert Sun 24-Sep-23 20:36:57

Thanks everyone, I’ve sprayed the bitter apple on his leg bandage but may try on his leg in a couple of days if no improvement 🐾

V3ra Sun 24-Sep-23 21:53:44

Have you tried putting Sudocrem on the sore leg? Our vet recommended that for our dog's sore foot (between the toes) and said it's her go-to for anything at first, she thinks it's marvellous stuff.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:12:06

Isn’t it poisonous if they lick it? Mind you, my vet prescribed it after my dogs skin was sore after an x ray.

V3ra Sun 24-Sep-23 22:29:37

MayBee70 presumably it's not then? 🤷

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:38:25

How big is the dog?
A groomer shaved DILs dog around his genitals (ouch) and made him sore and itchy and he had to have a special garment to stop him biting and licking.

I think they're called recovery suits, probably cheaper online than from the vet.
They may make them just for legs.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:43:22

Callistemon21

How big is the dog?
A groomer shaved DILs dog around his genitals (ouch) and made him sore and itchy and he had to have a special garment to stop him biting and licking.

I think they're called recovery suits, probably cheaper online than from the vet.

I don’t think so. The one we bought for Winnie when she was spayed just covered her body. We got ours from the vet because he knew what size to get.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 23:07:18

MayBee70

Callistemon21

How big is the dog?

I don’t think so. The one we bought for Winnie when she was spayed just covered her body. We got ours from the vet because he knew what size to get.

I think you can buy them with legs, or just for legs although any self-respecting dog might be able to get the leg one off. Of course, you have to be alert to toilet time!

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 23:07:56

Yes, I think this one was from the vet.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 23:51:23

Crikey. Yes there are all sorts on EBay. Worth knowing. I wonder why the OP’s vet didn’t suggest one?

25Avalon Mon 25-Sep-23 04:12:31

Probably expense? After my dog was spayed she was given a body suit. I came down in the morning, however to find it in a neat heap in the corner!

Last week I took her to the vet for an allergic rash one her tummy she was scratching and licking. She was given a steroid jab and is now on antibiotics and is leaving it alone.

It doesn't sound as if the ointment is working and i wouldn't have thought a bandage would be good for the healing process. Hibiscrub used to be recommended or tea tree oil. If the dog has a cone he won't be able to lick it.

sodapop Mon 25-Sep-23 12:59:04

Just as a matter of interest and sorry to get a bit side tracked but why do we call it
" the cone of shame" it's just a preventative measure.

Oldbat1 Mon 25-Sep-23 13:07:57

Im sorry for your dog it must be awful. Would a piriton tablet help? You would need to ring vet for dosage and must be piriton. Do not tell pharmacist it is for a dog though. Do a search on line as ive seen a human sock being adapted to cover a leg injury - ill try to find it.

Oldbat1 Mon 25-Sep-23 13:12:26

Just typed in diy antilick covers for injury on a dog leg plus ready made covers too.

MayBee70 Mon 25-Sep-23 13:52:33

Oldbat1

Im sorry for your dog it must be awful. Would a piriton tablet help? You would need to ring vet for dosage and must be piriton. Do not tell pharmacist it is for a dog though. Do a search on line as ive seen a human sock being adapted to cover a leg injury - ill try to find it.

My whippet can have one piriton twice a day.

MayBee70 Mon 25-Sep-23 13:54:37

sodapop

Just as a matter of interest and sorry to get a bit side tracked but why do we call it
" the cone of shame" it's just a preventative measure.

Maybe it looks like they’re in the stocks? The worst thing is that they constantly run into your legs when they wear them and I get covered in bruises. They don’t really stay on whippets because their heads are so small so I have to find alternatives.

MayBee70 Mon 25-Sep-23 13:55:48

Unfortunately the licking can just become a habit and they can’t stop themselves doing it.