Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs and Dover-Calais ferry to UK - hurrah

(17 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sat 16-Sep-23 11:52:58

Just had visitors from Kent who told me that the new P&O ferries now take dogs and have a special pet lounge and exercise area where 'owners' and dogs and be for the whole crossing. We always use the Tunnel, as the dog can stay with us in the car, wherease dogs had to stay in car in the hold with no visits during the crossing, in all weathers.

This is fabulous news. No good for us for our next journey, as Yata is still nervous in lifts and narrow stairs- but hopefully on our Spring visit next year, she will be ready.

Oldbat1 Sat 16-Sep-23 12:22:28

Refuse to use P&O after sacking their staff then employing cheap labour from elsewhere. We use the tunnel and dog stays with us at all times.

Fleurpepper Sat 16-Sep-23 12:52:08

Yes, we have always used the Tunnel with dogs- and the politics are another story.

Fleurpepper Sat 16-Sep-23 13:12:33

Has anyone does this? Would be very interested to know about the access from hold garage to the pet area. Stairs? Lift?

Joseann Sat 16-Sep-23 13:15:26

That sounds like fun! Rather like the vets' waiting room where they all start barking at each (or even humping each other)! Is there a self serve for biscuits?
Unfortunately Dover is 250 miles from me, and Calais is 450 miles from my destination, so I'll stick with BF, but it's a nice idea for those who use it.

biglouis Sat 16-Sep-23 13:19:53

How does taking dogs to Europe work now that we re no longer in the EU? Are there more restrictions?

Joseann Sat 16-Sep-23 13:23:04

biglouis

How does taking dogs to Europe work now that we re no longer in the EU? Are there more restrictions?

Just costs a fortune for paperwork- £250 per voyage.

MaizieD Sat 16-Sep-23 13:31:01

Just costs a fortune for paperwork- £250 per voyage.

shock

Remember the days when you just had a dog passport...

Fleurpepper Sat 16-Sep-23 13:51:03

One DD has got two dogs, so £500 = fewer visits. Such a massive shame.

Marrion Sat 16-Sep-23 13:58:46

How do the cost compare - kennels v ferry?

Fleurpepper Sat 16-Sep-23 14:00:28

depends on length of travel. Taking a dog or more for a short trip is massively expensive. Our kennels charge about £35 per day.

Boz Sat 16-Sep-23 14:03:31

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have a dog sitter in? Better for the dog also.

Fleurpepper Sat 16-Sep-23 14:05:22

Dog sitter is the same price as kennels. But why would it be necessarily better???

Our dog is happy to travel in the car with us, with regular stops and exercise, and happy to stay with us when we get to UK, with lots of great walks. We just find accommodation where dogs are welcome and with direct outside access.

Oldbat1 Sat 16-Sep-23 19:42:32

Your dog needs a rabies inj at least 21days before travel - valid for 3yrs. Since Brexit an Animal Health Certificate is required from a uk vet which is valid for 10days to get to europe. AHC vary in price from £99 mainly done on line and up to £300 by vets who dont really want to do them! These are valid for one return trip. Next is added cost of crossing £20 each way on tunnel. Then on way back you need a vet to administer a worming tablet and sign paperwork between 24hrs and 120hrs of booked return crossing. (Luckily we now have a French pet passport).

Fleurpepper Sat 14-Oct-23 21:22:43

Travelling to UK by car next week, with Yata. Tunnel booked as it will be much less stressful for her this time. Will practise using lifts, etc, before we go next time.

Notjustaprettyface Mon 23-Oct-23 12:09:32

How do you get a french pet passport ?

JaneJudge Mon 23-Oct-23 12:25:10

You can apparently register your dog in Spain for much cheaper for returning journeys to the EU after the initial registration here. One of my work colleagues registers his dog in Spain with a vets for £30 a time. I have no idea how I have retained this information as I’ve only ever take my dogs on the Isle of Wight ferry where they are allowed to get out the car too