Gransnet forums

Pets

cat scarers

(9 Posts)
busybee6969 Tue 12-Sep-23 17:24:44

i am end house narrow strip of garden length of house,local big cat keeps going to loo on my garden. have put short twigs at angles in the ground sprinkled peppermint tea bags on the soil with peppermint oil on as well, just caught the cat in another area going to the loo, anyone tried a cat scarer that makes a low noise do they work, but would it upset my little dog in our back garden next to the area thank you

BlueBelle Tue 12-Sep-23 18:10:07

Didn’t work for me and nor do the pretend cats nor did Holly they daintily skipped around that nor did curry, garlic, pepper etc etc nothing has worked they are a pain

Elegran Tue 12-Sep-23 19:15:00

I have read that cats don't like the smell of citrus fruit. Perhaps dried orange/lemon/lime/grapefruit peel, ground up and sprinked around, would be offputting to the cat but invisible on the ground to humans?

busybee6969 Tue 12-Sep-23 20:32:03

im n not a violent person but im struggling not to do something to a neighbours massive cat, just caught tonight as i took the dog out massive pooh ,kicking the soil up,tried holly it died and went messy,got cut up raspberry short bits of stick then peppermint teabags, did have lemon peel.its very annoying .

Hetty58 Tue 12-Sep-23 20:46:20

I've had some success with orange peel in the front garden - right by the door. In fact, all the orange peels I can get are cut up small and sprinkled there. There's another corner where the soil is dry (under a shrub) and I've put rocks/large stones there to exclude access.

In the back garden, on a sunny slope, sparrows have been dust bathing and cats have started to use it as a litter tray. The earth is travelling downhill too. For now, I've put wire mesh on the ground, along with several bricks spaced apart - and I'm planting up that area for next year.

Watering their chosen place does help. If you're determined, soaking the cat itself (super soaker water gun from a convenient window) is very effective. Look into installing the plastic cactus spikes on your fencing to keep them out.

ElaineI Wed 13-Sep-23 13:30:32

DH got one of these for discouraging a local dog from pooing in our drive. The only people it put off was all our DC and their children who could all hear it 😂 We couldn't hear a thing! Dog stopped as DH had a word with the owner.

Grantanow Sun 22-Oct-23 22:45:38

Get Off repellent crystals - seems to work here against cats.

cornergran Sun 22-Oct-23 23:03:41

We find the sprays work in our back garden as long as the area is re-sprayed constantly. By accident (Mr C had washed the dustbin out a little too enthusiastically) we discovered the local cats hate the smell of Jeyes Fluid We either water it (diluted) on bare ground or soak cloth in it and leave it close by. Can’t say I’m a big fan of the smell either but once the cats have given up and found a different toilet we stop. Keeps them at bay for a few months then back they come. Our front garden seems to be of no interest to them, thankful for small mercies here.

midgey Mon 23-Oct-23 10:47:59

Water pistol?