Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat allergy

(10 Posts)
Stillthinkim18 Sat 05-Aug-23 20:19:03

I have had a cat and sometimes two all my life. We have had our present cat for twelve years and she is now seventeen and we love her very much. However following a blood test, I have just been told by my doctor that I have developed a cat allergy! I am taking antihistamines (,not much help) but I wonder if anyone on GN has a cat allergy and has any advice.

crazyH Sat 05-Aug-23 20:41:46

I have a severe allergy to cats - so has my AC. It’s horrible. There’s a cat down the road who loves sitting on my garden chair. So, I have sprayed vinegar on the chair and cushions and believe me, I have not seen the cat since.
I take an antihistamine almost daily, because the ‘dander’ (I think that’s what they call it) is always in the air.
I don’t know what advice to give you, other than to avoid going near cats or visiting houses, where they have cats as pets.
As for your own cats, I’m sorry, there’s nothing you can do about that. But I advise you not to replace them when the time comes.

VioletSky Sat 05-Aug-23 20:49:50

I don't have any advice but I really feel for you, horrible news for a cat lover

Granmarderby10 Sat 05-Aug-23 21:18:02

When I’ve been due to visit somewhere I know has a cat(s) I have taken antihistamine, it seems to work.
If the cat comes up to fuss, keep your hands away from your eyes, until you’ve had a good hand and face wash with hot water and a soft clean flannel pressed gently over the eye area for a few moments. Don’t rub.

There were some wipes I bought a few years back from pet shops. You gently stroke an opened one from the top of the cats head to the tail.
They could be used on furniture and cushions too, but as the dander is deep in the fur near the skin it is only a short term solution. Wherever cats sit and groom there will be dander.

Always keep them out of your bedroom and freshly laundered clothes (not easy I know) try and cover whole bed with an extra large sheet.

Stillthinkim18 Mon 07-Aug-23 12:02:23

Thank you for your advice and support! I'll be soldiering on with the antihistamines for the moment....

Aveline Mon 07-Aug-23 12:11:59

What a sad thing to develop. I've had cats all my life and never had any bother. However, I once went to a party at a friend's house and had a lovely time stroking and playing with their cat and found my eyes watering and sneezing a lot. I assumed I was coming down with a cold but it disappeared as soon as I got home. I could only assume that I'd been allergic to that particular cat.

Sparklefizz Mon 07-Aug-23 12:12:16

There's a homeopathic remedy called Cat Fur, available from Galen Homeopathics in Dorset, which works brilliantly. My granddaughter developed an allergy to cat fur, and she would be streaming, but the remedy worked.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 07-Aug-23 12:59:55

Try another brand of antihistamine, They are not all alike, I have had some that in no way helped my allergy to perfumes that other people use, their soap powder etc. and some that did help.

How good is your vacuum cleaner? Getting cat hairs off carpets and soft furnishings demands a really good one with a good mouthpiece and they are hard to come by.

Are you allergic to cat fur or to the scales on their fur?

And are you allergic to anything else, because if you are, it will make your allergy to your beloved puss worse.

Keep a diary of what you eat and drink, wear (natural fibres contra synthetic as either category can be a cause of an allergy) stop using any bath products, laundry soap, cleaning agents etc. that contain perfume and check that none of it contains formaldehyde. (perfumes and other additives are likewise frequent triggers for allergies).

Wear a surgical mask when hoovering, dusting etc.

Ghostface Mon 08-Jan-24 07:43:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

silverlining48 Mon 08-Jan-24 09:31:25

We always had cats when our children were growing up, with no problems.
Our dd left for university in September returned December for Christmas and was immediately allergic to the same cat that had been in the house for 10 years. Since then
she has severe reactions to cats even if they aren’t in the house while she visits . So severe that she had had to go to hospital for urgent treatment.
I find it very strange that after a lifetime of having cats around her she should suddenly develop this severe reaction.