Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs

(17 Posts)
whitewave Thu 14-Aug-14 11:16:15

Took the grandchildren back yesterday and our daughter nipped out to us as we were getting into the car and announced that they were thinking of getting 2 dogs - someone she knows is emigrating to the USA and is leaving behind their labradoodle and a shih tzu.

Bearing in mind that daughter who lost her much loved lab last autumn and announced that she would never have another dog as long as they were working as it is too unfair, completely took us by surprise and we sort of stood there with our mouths open, burbling about the work involved and the grooming etc. Daughter who was clearly expecting a very different reaction sort of huffed off.

Oh well she will get over it no doubt. Kids eh!?

nigglynellie Thu 14-Aug-14 11:24:39

Tell me about it!!!!!!!

glammanana Thu 14-Aug-14 12:06:17

whitewave your daughter must know the dogs they are thinking of rehoming and must surely have had discussions about it with her OH.maybe the dogs will be company for each other when the family are at work and there will be no problem,but I understand where you are coming from with regard grooming etc as it costs us £28.00 every 6/8 weeks to get Poppy groomed I think labradoodle 's need about twice a year (not sure) also there is the excercise they have to make time for so that has to be factored in to the mix,lets hope she has thought about it long and hard.

whitewave Thu 14-Aug-14 12:13:35

Yes they also need to think of the dog's temperament. Funnily enough I think the Shih Tzui is the best bet although daily grooming will be necessary . The labradoodle is known to be a very intelligent dog so being cooped up all day may encourage poor behaviour, which can't be blamed on the dog.

We have decided not to think about it and hope for the best as it may come to nothing and really it isn't our problem.

Soutra Thu 14-Aug-14 12:26:27

If you have a dog- shaped space in your life, it needs filling. This sounds excellent. Dogs get a loving home and that dog-shaped space is filled. smile

Lona Thu 14-Aug-14 12:32:24

whitewave With respect, they are grownups, and perhaps they expect you not to react as though they have no common sense.
smile Just saying.

Iam64 Thu 14-Aug-14 13:01:47

whitewave - If your daughter does adopt the dogs, I hope she either has a friend/or can afford to pay a dog walker or the fees at dog day care. I managed to combine work with dogs for many years, it's possible, but I don't believe it's fair to leave dogs on a regular basis for more than say 4 hours. Dog Day Care or dog walkers are easily found, but not cheap.

I have a labradoodle, and you're right, they're intelligent dogs. If they aren't kept mentally and physically exercised, they'll find ways of entertaining themselves. If the current owners need to re-home their dogs, there is an excellent charity, The Doodle Trust, (website and Facebook page). It was set up by a woman who has been working with dogs, standard poodles, for over 30 years. Labradoodles often have a high prey urge, mine does, and those I've fostered have all seen hunting as something they were born to do.
My own doodle is adorable, but I wouldn't trust her within a mile of a sheep, if not on her lead.

Aka Thu 14-Aug-14 13:15:05

Well put Soutra

merlotgran Thu 14-Aug-14 14:02:43

One of the loveliest dogs we've ever had was a golden retriever. He was given to us by a USAF family who had to make an unexpected return to the States. Yes, the grooming came as a bit of a shock but he filled our lives with joy.

Hopefully these dogs will have had a loving home so will not be carrying the baggage that some poor rescue dogs are lumbered with.

Best of luck though as it's a big undertaking.

whitewave Thu 14-Aug-14 18:24:08

Lona yes I agree they are grownups and that is why I have expanded my feelings on GN rather than tell my daughter. It was unfortunate that our reaction was as it was as we were completely thrown by the sudden announcement, and as dog lovers as well as a daughter lover I had all the pitfalls whizzing through my brain in a spit second, and it clearly showed on our faces although we actually said very little.

However if they do decide to go ahead we will offer to walk them just as we did her last beloved dog Gemma.

Anne58 Thu 14-Aug-14 18:34:57

Sounds to me as if all will be well!

I know exactly what Soutra means, as some may know I lost a much loved cat recently, and didn't feel right with only 1 cat in the house (although Digby is much loved and valued!), hence the arrival of Sprout.

One animal does NOT replace another, but can help to fill the gap and also act as a sort of distraction, if you know what I mean?

My dearly beloved Maurice will never be replaced, but giving a home to Sprout has proved to be interesting, to say the least!

I think there is also the happy element of rescuing/rehoming which brings it's own rewards, not as if she was going out to get a puppy on a whim.

Wishing much joy to all!

Lona Thu 14-Aug-14 18:40:28

whitewave I'm sure she has probably 'got over it ' by now anyway. smile

toyhousefrenchies Wed 20-Mar-24 17:57:51

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Georgesgran Wed 20-Mar-24 18:55:34

REPORTED
10yr old thread resurrected by Spammers.

Syracute Wed 20-Mar-24 19:15:06

whitewave

Took the grandchildren back yesterday and our daughter nipped out to us as we were getting into the car and announced that they were thinking of getting 2 dogs - someone she knows is emigrating to the USA and is leaving behind their labradoodle and a shih tzu.

Bearing in mind that daughter who lost her much loved lab last autumn and announced that she would never have another dog as long as they were working as it is too unfair, completely took us by surprise and we sort of stood there with our mouths open, burbling about the work involved and the grooming etc. Daughter who was clearly expecting a very different reaction sort of huffed off.

Oh well she will get over it no doubt. Kids eh!?

Selfish owners for just dumping these dogs ! Dogs can be transported . Dog ownership is a responsibility . I hope your daughter has the time for them and won’t dump them if she finds they are more work than she anticipated .

flappergirl Wed 20-Mar-24 20:07:46

I agree with you Syracute. The job in America would be declined if I couldn't afford to transport my animals.

LOUISA1523 Wed 20-Mar-24 21:05:36

I'm guessing these dogs have since died