Gransnet forums

Pets

Chip operated cat flaps!

(10 Posts)
kittylester Tue 29-Apr-14 14:41:34

Does anyone have one of these? Are they any good?

We currently only have one cat confused and are turning into fussy parents. For the past 6 months or so we have had a ginger cat which comes and sleeps on our beds, eats Kiwi's food etc, etc, which we haven't minded as it is quite friendly. We recently noticed that the interloper had not been in for a while and also noticed that Kiwi stayed at home more and was friendlier than when the other cat was around.

The interloper is back and Kiwi has reverted to being stand offish so we are looking at ways of allowing just our cat in or out. He is always losing his flea collar so we didn't fancy one that is fob operated.

Anyone have any comments of chip operated flaps?

suzied Tue 29-Apr-14 15:35:51

Yes we have one and they're brilliant. We had a lot of trouble with a wandering tom cat coming in and eating our cat's food and spraying all around the kitchen. No such trouble now. If another cat does get in, if your back door is open, for example, it can get out through the cat flap, but it can't get in unless you programme the cat flap.

Charleygirl Tue 29-Apr-14 16:18:13

I have one for Tara because her life was made hell by 2 local ginger toms coming in the catflap after her, spoiling for a fight. Tara is much more relaxed now. Mine is operated using 4 double A batteries. Be careful because some of the batteries on a couple of catflaps I looked at were not readily available.

To programme your cat, all you have to do is poke the cat's head and neck through the catflap and make the cat go through. I think something bleeped, I cannot remember. That should be sufficient. It will take a couple of times before he/she will use it readily as it is new to the animal.

Tara's doting mother hovered around a few times when she was going in and out but now I can relax!

ninathenana Tue 29-Apr-14 16:20:36

I wish my cat would use a cat flap ! We fitted one but blocked it again because despite all types of encouragement she would jump on the window sill to be let in.

Charleygirl Tue 29-Apr-14 16:26:47

Mine will come in the catflap but expects the housekeeper, maid or doorman to be on hand 24/7 to let her out the front door unless she is desperate and then she hops through it very easily. She is bone idle.

kittylester Tue 29-Apr-14 16:49:46

Thanks all - sounds like a good idea then. flowers

One more question - do they fit into the existing hole? The measurements are a bit difficult to work out. confused

anneey Tue 29-Apr-14 17:20:39

I have one it has changed my life. We had a cheeky Burmese making a nuisance of himself. My Burmilla was petrified of him. I did have a Cat Flap Fitter, asked my local Pet shop for the contact Telephone number.It cost dearly I had a brick wall to work through, but worth every Penny. I have had it for 6 years and no problems, even if your Cat loses its collar it makes no difference. Mine is a PetPorte, you can email them with any problems. Good Luck.

Charleygirl Tue 29-Apr-14 17:25:56

Mine fitted the original hole in the front door. It is a bit finicky to fit it, way beyond me, but I got somebody to do it for me. Provided you buy an "ordinary" one you should be okay. I bought mine on Amazon and left a good review if that is of any help.

Flowerofthewest Tue 29-Apr-14 18:18:47

We have one for our two cats. Main reason was the neighbourhood cats pinching their food and toys. Saw one trotting past my French windows with a very expensive catnip toy. That did it. I don't buy Culpepper catnip toys for neighbourhood moggies.

We had to flap fitted, very easy to do and it works a treat. We did have some water damage due to a very heavy downpour and it stopped working. Phoned the company for advice and they sent a new one. This was fine until I accidentally broke it (don't ask) DH took it back to the company for the broken piece to be replaced and they, again, gave us a brand new one.

The only problem is if you have a slightly cheeky neighbour's cat who follows our big boy through the flap with his head on Oscar's bottom.

I would recommend one.

As anneey says it has changed our lives.

Flowerofthewest Tue 29-Apr-14 18:20:50

Ours is 'Sureflap' based in Cambridge. www.SureFlap.com