Gransnet forums

Pets

A nice touch but........?

(17 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:59:39

As many will know, we had one of our cats (Lily) put to sleep just over a week ago.

Today I received in the post a rather tasteful card (photo of a woodland scene) containing a hand written message of condolence, vis:
"Our condolences after losing Lily. It is always a difficult decision, and I think we did the best thing for her. She was obviously much loved and I'm sure she is being missed, kind regards (vet's name)"

I have been a client of the practice for over 20 years, both large animal unit, equine and pet, but this is the first time I have received a card from them, despite having a dog and a horse put down.

I would have really appreciated this (and in a way I still did) had I not known that a friend had received a card worded exactly the same when her Nigel was put down.

On the back of the card it was shown as copyright of www.vetindex.co.uk

I still haven't had the bill from them, but the cynical part of me wonders what percentage of it might be to cover this gesture?

Soutra Wed 26-Feb-14 17:16:38

When our darling lab was put to sleep at 16 I had something similar plus a booklet on coping with a pet bereavement. I found it kind and thoughtful. OK they are a business but I still think it shows a human touch .

Iam64 Wed 26-Feb-14 19:16:43

Same feelings here Soutra, we appreciated the kindness shown to us and our much loved old dog by the vet and vet nurse. They didn't expect us to stand in the waiting room, and pay our bill. They said it'd arrive in a few weeks. Before the bill, we had a kind and personally worded condolences card, it was much appreciated. Maybe we do contribute to the running of the business when we pay our bills, but I don't mind a small amount being spent on customer care. Condolences, phoenix, it's such a loss isn't it

rosesarered Wed 26-Feb-14 20:57:21

We got nothing! We had been with the vet for 5 years and had to pay the bill [for putting to sleep] there and then.however, not sure the card would have helped at all, as it's business isn't it?Paying the bill a bit later and just leaving would have been nicer though.Leaving your cat dead in the next room while you fumble for your credit card is not a great feeling.sad

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-14 21:02:38

I had a card after Nahla, my Rhodesian Ridgeback was put to sleep. It arrived the next day and as all the staff had signed it, it felt personal even if they are churned out every time a pet is euthanased.

Tegan Wed 26-Feb-14 21:46:33

I had a young vet called Melissa that carried me emotionally through the last few months of my ponies life. I'd wanted to see an older, more experienced vet at first but she turned up and that was that. She helped me make the decision to not let the pony go through another winter [we stood in the field in the pouring rain hugging each other and crying] and then, when I made an urgent phone call to the vets a few weeks later to say 'I don't care which vet comes but it has to be now; she's got colic' she turned to her colleagues, said 'I made a promise' and drove straight to us. I still have the card she sent. She left the practice soon after and I swear she was an angel sent to me when I needed her. Wherever she is now 'thanks Mel'.

Agus Wed 26-Feb-14 22:03:38

We received a similar card last June when our darling Bobby dog was put to sleep. Our vet is also a friend of ours but I know every owner receives a condolence card. It was a lovely touch and just opened the floodgates again that someone acknowledged our grief.

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-14 22:20:00

I'm comparing the caring attitude from the vet who put Nahla to sleep with the vet I had to take DD1's cat to when he was hit by a car while she was at work. Her neighbour found him with a leg hanging off and phoned me for help. When I got to the vets I was made to sit in the waiting room with the poor cat in agony. When it was my turn they tried to persuade me to agree to an amputation and expensive treatment which I knew my DD could not afford. They had taken the cat to a room at the back and when I said we would prefer him to be put to sleep I thought they would take me to him so I could be there. A few minutes later the vet nurse came back to me and said, 'That's done then.' I was horrified but I had signed the form and that was that. I was then handed the bill and told to pay at reception on the way out.

I doubt they would send cards to anyone.

Soutra Wed 26-Feb-14 22:38:14

What I also appreciated was that they said we could stay with our dog as long as we wanted, just holding her, so I stayed until she started to cool and then we were shown out through the back door so we didnt have to face the people in the wating room with our empty collar and lead sad
Little things, but meant so much at the time. Likewise the bill came through at least a week later and I settled up when I collected her ashes and brought her home.

yogagran Wed 26-Feb-14 23:15:01

merlot that's so dreadful, reading your sad tale of your DD's cat made me feel quite disgusted with the vet and staff there. How unfeeling

Anne58 Wed 26-Feb-14 23:28:37

Having read the posts above, I now feel that I have received very good treatment from our vets. I was not asked to pay on the way out, it was taken as read that it was not the time to do it.

I had to take Lily home, as there would have been extra costs involved if I had left here there. I had lined the travel box well, so I was able to wrap her up. For a few fumbling moments I didn't think the blanket that I had used would do the job, I was offered another blanket but between us we managed.

Sounds daft, but I wasn't sure about taking her home to bury, she never was very keen on "outside", but in the end she was buried near to Clucky, although I'm not sure how either of them would feel about that, if they has a say in the matter!

numberplease Wed 26-Feb-14 23:42:29

We had a card from the vets when we lost our lovely Pepper, I knew they were a regular "thing", because my daughter had had one as well when her cat was put to sleep, but we still appreciated the gesture,

Iam64 Thu 27-Feb-14 08:51:09

Ah Phoenix, what a positive post from you. Losing a pet is so painful, isn't it. I still miss our old dog, who was pts almost 15 months ago. It's also increasingly clear what a stabilising influence he was on the two younger dogs. RIP to all our lovely pets who filled our lives with so many positives flowers

Marelli Thu 27-Feb-14 15:49:06

I got a lovely handwritten card when Lucky was put to sleep. He'd been at the vet's for about a week and the staff were so caring with him, and all of them had signed the card. I really did appreciate it.

Deedaa Thu 27-Feb-14 21:20:20

We took on a friend's old collie when they moved abroad. The vet was a mutual friend and knew the dog very well. I think he was even more upset than we were when the time came to put him to sleep.

Iam64 Sat 01-Mar-14 18:47:06

One of my sisters took in mum's old sheltie after mum died. We'd always promised one of us would care for him if it was every necessary. That sister had only 1 dog at the time, where the rest of us had 2. He had a very happy 2 further years and was a link to mum for the whole family. Somehow, he helped us all, and we were, as you can imagine, bereaved when he was put to sleep. Pets eh, what a lot they bring to the lives of the people who love them, what a lot they teach us .

whenim64 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:47:56

I took on an old blue roan cocker spaniel when his owners emigrated, as he wasn't strong enough to travel. He was such a sweet old boy, who lived for another happy 18 months, in the company of our old GSD who died a few months before him. Two losses in a year, and at each trip to the vet, the nurse stood there crying with us. We received a lovely card with the note to tell us the ashes were ready to collect. It all helps, doesn't it?