Gransnet forums

Pets

"he flew through the air with the greatest of ease"

(22 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:06:21

I was outside chatting to my neighbour yesterday, as he was tinkering with a lovely old car that he is restoring. We were joined by Digby, AKA Squeaky Fatarse.

Digby had a good look into Richards toolbox, performed a few sleight of paw tricks with a small jubilee clip and carried out what he swore was the necessary execution of a particularly dangerous leaf. smile

Having performed these parts of his (admittedly limited) repertoire he took it upon himself to try some intermediate poncing about exercises.

He leaped on to the bonnet of Richards car, and bearing in mind he had decide to forego a run up, and just attempt it from a standing start, he did quite well. Encouraged by his achievement, progressed up the windscreen and struck a nonchalant pose on the roof. (For nonchalant, read "gormless".)

Marie, Richards wife, had her VW camper van parked alongside. After only the minimum amount of measuring, bottom wiggling and 1 false start (he tried to hide this by seeming to suddenly notice that his left ear needed a wash) he had crossed the great divide and perched triumphantly on the higher roof of the van. He then paced up and down it, acknowledging the cheers that were not ringing out from the assembled audience of 2.

About 2ft away from the van and approx. 2ft higher, was the tiled section of roof that covers the porch and downstairs roof. (If Mr P were here I would get him to do a little drawing, but I'm sure you get the gist).

Digby looked. He thought. He took a brief passing interest in a blackbird then thought again. He moved to the edge of the van roof that was closest to the sloping tiles of the porch. He eyed the gap carefully, mentally calculating the velocity needed to successfully land on the roof. He made some adjustments to allow for wind speed, picked his spot and crouched. Never taking his eye off the target, and making a further adjustment to factor in the guttering, he began the crucial bottom wiggle.

With a magnificent spring from his sturdy hindquarters, he leaped! In the air, silhouetted against a blue sky, he was a sight to behold, front paws perfectly parallel, body arched in a parabola worthy of an Olympic gymnast, tail streaming, back legs together.

Shame he cocked it up completely and landed with a thud on the ground between the van and the roof. confused

Nonu Sun 12-Jan-14 16:24:28

C S L .!!!!!!!!!!!

Charleygirl Sun 12-Jan-14 16:47:18

Poor Digby, you obviously have not taught him properly. My Tara would sail through the air with the greatest of ease. She rarely misses her target.

Anne58 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:07:57

Our Maurice is a feline athlete par excellence, lean, lithe and a good hunter. Richard and I were talking after watching Digby, and decided that if there was some sort of production process for cats that involved some sort of quality control, with those that passed getting some sort of stamp of approval, Digby would definitely be the one with "reject" stamped on him, poor love.

The question that is still intriguing us re Digby's attempts is "why"? Not why did he fail, but what on earth made him want to get on the roof in the first place?

Anne58 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:09:42

In the OP I meant porch and downstairs toilet roof.

sherish Sun 12-Jan-14 17:22:23

I just the love the AKA, it could be our cat!

Anne58 Sun 12-Jan-14 17:36:24

I wonder why it is, especially with male cats, the bigger they are, the more ridiculous the miaow is?

I remember when another neighbour brought her two 8 weeks old kittens (Sidney and Marvin) round to show me. There was a tiny little "mew" and she asked her daughter which one of the kittens had squeaked. The look of disbelief followed by laughter when I said it was Digby was priceless.

LizG Sun 12-Jan-14 18:20:19

Brilliant. Poor Digby, did he have a sulk?

absent Sun 12-Jan-14 18:22:40

There's always one phoenix. When we had scaffolding erected at the front of our house in London – can't remember why now – my six cats all used to hop out the sitting room window and play on it when the workmen had gone home. Invariably, whenever Helvetica went out, his exit was shortly followed by sounds of increasingly frantic scrabbling, a series of musical clanging noises, a soft thumping sound and a little squee as Helvetica descended rapidly into the basement. Fortunately, he never hurt himself – just his dignity.

Nelliemoser Sun 12-Jan-14 18:25:36

Phoenix grin poor cat.

I once saw our former ginger ex tom cat do a leap up and out from a wall onto a narrow bar at the side of a fire escape to get up to our third floor flat.
The Big Downstairs Cat was sitting at the bottom of these stairs.

I still don't know how Frank managed to land safely on that bar and get to the stairs. I think I got a few gray hairs over that.

Anne58 Sun 12-Jan-14 18:42:53

Not so as you'd notice, Liz, he just went off all of a trot wobble (when he runs, or attempts any speed greater than an amble, his whole body wobbles like half set blancmange) into the back garden.

No doubt he had suddenly remembered that he was late for his appointment to stare at the sheep.

Deedaa Sun 12-Jan-14 21:45:35

My ginger female (fortunately she is too old now!) used to climb out on to the roof if anyone left the bedroom window open. She would then sit up there until a small crowd formed and someone knocked on the door to tell us. Then there would be the hunt for a long enough ladder and someone would have to risk life and limb to get her.
It was some years before we discovered that she was quite capable of getting back through the window on her own!

Anne58 Sun 12-Jan-14 22:04:56

Little baggage, Deedaa ! grin

(The cat, that is, not you)

Eloethan Mon 13-Jan-14 00:19:42

Very funny phoenix - you certainly have a way with words, I could picture the whole incident.

Anne58 Mon 13-Jan-14 12:08:05

Just wish I could have captured it on film! Digby is a lovely chap, we got him about 18 months ago from Cats Protection when he was 2.

He's a very handsome tabby, with a lovely nature, but OMG is he thick !

shysal Mon 13-Jan-14 13:06:10

That is really funny Phoenix, you describe it so well!
What is the news on Lily? Apologies if I have missed any update, although I have been watching the original thread for news.

Anne58 Mon 13-Jan-14 13:32:30

Hello shysal I'm not sure if I updated on Lily, so here goes.

After the failed attempt to get her on her last trip to the vet on Christmas Eve, our vet said to see how she goes.

Well, she seems to spend most of her time halfway up the stairs, with her head through the banisters keeping an eye on all activity. She's eating ok, seems reasonably content (still completely mad) and some days she doesn't seem to have any fits at all. When I hear her going into one, I run to the scene and she usually recovers within a minute, so the actual fits are very short.

However............... in the evening when we go through to the sitting room, she can look through from her observation point. If I'm passing too slowly on my way to or from the kitchen, she launches herself between the bannisters and attaches herself to my shoulders, rather like a grubby and slightly moth eaten tippet. It can take some time to dislodge her confused

She will sometimes decide that she is going to join us, so appears in the sitting room and after a few moments attached to my neck, will eventually settle down on my lap purring quite happily. This is rather nice, until she has a fit. When she has one, her bladder empties. On me.

shysal Mon 13-Jan-14 18:26:04

Lily doesn't really seem to be bothered by the fits does she? The bladder thing must be a nuisance though. My next door neighbour is a vet who repaired and brought home a cat. He has one eye, three legs, is deaf and has fits. He is another completely mad animal! She has decided to do nothing about the fits, and he has a good quality of life, entering all the nearby cat flaps, and can be seen giving his smug one-eyed stare to all passers-by from many a different window including mine.
I hope Lily continues to enjoy her life. flowers

Anne58 Mon 13-Jan-14 18:29:09

You're right, they don't seem to bother her much at all.

Your description of your neighbours cat had made me grin

When we first moved in to this cul de sac of 7 houses, there were 2 cats who each had only 3 legs. I was a bit worried that Maurice would think it was that seasons must have look. confused

Deedaa Mon 13-Jan-14 21:15:32

Sadly phoenix I'm more of a large baggage now!
My daughter's elderly cat had a stroke during an operation and woke up blind and hardly able to walk. They turned their bedroom into a sort of padded cell for her so that she could stagger around safely and she lived happily for another year.

Anne58 Mon 13-Jan-14 23:24:10

Oh bless her!

Deedaa Wed 15-Jan-14 22:10:41

She was a funny little thing and my daughter was devoted to her. The cat she has now is about four times the size - think Maine Coon with attitude grin