Gransnet forums

Pets

Anti Freeze

(15 Posts)
LizG Sun 24-Nov-13 19:03:23

I have just spent the day with DD3 and she is in a dreadful state. She has a three year old cat and Friday night it was peaky, yesterday it was a bit off colour. Today DH rushed DD and cat to the vet where they were warned that it looked like the cat has been poisoned with anti freeze.

This may sound silly - for goodness sake its only a cat - but Phoebe and I spent a lot of time together when my youngest GS was in hospital at 2 weeks with whooping cough (someone had to look after her) and we seem to get on well now so I care for her too.

Whether this happened by intent or accident doesn't matter, at the moment I cannot forgive the person who did it.

To the cat owners amongst us, Please be careful out there

Charleygirl Sun 24-Nov-13 19:08:20

Thank you for the warning. That is horrendous and I do hope that the vet can sort out Phoebe. She may be "only a cat" but a much loved one who is a member of the family.

Marelli Sun 24-Nov-13 19:16:32

LizG, I hope wee Phoebe recovers ok. Apparently anti-freeze is attractive to cats (and dogs) because of its sweet taste. It's been known for pigeon fanciers to lay this down for cats if they've been lurking around their pigeon lofts. Also a crushed aspirin in milk has a similar affect sad. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to stop a cat from going just where it wants to go.

annodomini Sun 24-Nov-13 20:16:01

No such thing as 'only a cat'. Good luck to Phoebe. She matters to you and her family.

LizG Sun 24-Nov-13 20:23:57

Thank you all. I am qite choked at the moment.

Tegan Sun 24-Nov-13 20:37:55

I do hope she will be ok. I don't have a cat these days but, when I did they meant the world to me. Fingers well and truly crossed.

Deedaa Sun 24-Nov-13 21:12:56

I'm so sorry LizG I hope you have better news tomorrow. I live in fear of something like this happening to one of mine. Even if it was an accident it doesn't make the result less horrible does it?

absent Mon 25-Nov-13 01:16:52

LizG I am so sorry to hear about Phoebe. I'm not sure that there is much the vet can do but perhaps she was taken to him/her in time. I do hope so. My granddaughter's cat, who was pregnant at the time, sadly died after drinking antifreeze last year. Absentdaughter tells me that it is quite common to put out a small dish of antifreeze with the deliberate intent of killing other people's pets but it also happens by accident when cars have leaky radiators. It is very puzzling as cats don't have a tastebud for sweetness so it must be something else – maybe the smell – that attracts them.

LizG Mon 25-Nov-13 08:27:10

Haven't had an update yet but I suspect DD and her DH will have to make a decision today. DD has already made it but her DH is very sensitive. As soon as he got home from work I left them to talk it through.

She is a PCSO and believes it had to be intentional but I go for the accidental theory. I hate to think that there may be such evil people around.

LizG Sun 01-Dec-13 22:16:20

I have been keeping quiet on this because my poor daughter has been living on a roller coaster. Now though the cat has improved enough to be allowed home. Last week they were given a 5% chance of its survival. Phoebe's recovery seems to have been quite amazing

dustyangel Sun 01-Dec-13 22:21:19

So glad for you LizG smile

LizG Sun 01-Dec-13 22:45:43

Don't know how healthy DD's cat will be now but I suspect it will be a house cat for a while. The vet suggested the anti freeze could come from the cans of de-icer as well as a car radiator, which was something I didn't know.

Eloethan Sun 01-Dec-13 23:50:59

LizG I hope your daughter's cat continues to improve - she must be a hardy little thing.

I hope that it was some sort of accident - it's too horrible to think that someone would do such a thing deliberately.

absent Mon 02-Dec-13 01:37:55

How splendid. I am so pleased for your family and for Phoebe.

numberplease Mon 02-Dec-13 15:42:27

So glad