Gransnet forums

Pets

Any Boxer dog owners ?

(11 Posts)
pamelaJEAN Thu 15-Aug-13 09:40:39

For the last 17 years we have been the proud owners of boxer dogs, we have always given "Fireside Boxers " a home, boxers that have been used for breeding, and are too old , so no longer any use to the kennels. Hence we have always had bitches, they always amaze me, how they can settle into home life without any problems. Our first girl was a huge bundle of fun, loving life and family, she was always there for me in times of worry,she died at 13 , and my heart broke.
It was a couple of months later when we went to see our second girl, a little plain, grey faced bundle of energy, she was 7 years old, and everything to her was new, stairs, tv etc. She would watch the TV for hours, she loved walks, and would find the biggest branches to carry, she loved swinging from trees like a monkey.... I had such fun with her taking her long walks. She developed breast cancer, and at 11 we had her put to sleep.... my heart broke once again.
just a short week later, we heard of another girl age 5 with heart problems, she had been a Crufts Champion.... I thought it was too soon , but as soon as I saw this big floppy girl, I fell in love all over again, My Prudence is now 8 years old, so different from my other two girls, she is a mummys girl and just loves me for me.
Sorry to sound crazy.... but I do love my boxers.

Anne58 Thu 15-Aug-13 09:45:15

I've never had one, but some friends did. Lovely dog, but he did have a problem with wind! confused

Nonu Thu 15-Aug-13 09:53:54

We had a boxer many years ago Pamela , I agree with every word you say .
They are just fabulous dogs , and such sweeeet faces , and gentle natures .

smile to all the Boxers out there !

Nonu Thu 15-Aug-13 09:58:27

P.S.
we would love to have another one , but because we go away so much not really possible , so we make do with Dog- stting our Son & DIL"S , which we enjoy !

I have a fridge magnet which says "Life without dogs , I don"t think so"

whenim64 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:22:50

What a lovely post, Pamela. I have a friend with a beautiful boxer, who has the sweetest face and is full of mischief. He is trained with both my friend and her husband, and does everything required of him in training sessions, but as soon as he reaches the reservoir on his walk, his legs go wild and he runs and jumps for joy all the way round the water, running sideways and falling over himself with excitement. We can only stand and laugh at his antics. I have never seen a dog with such a zest for life. grin

celebgran Thu 15-Aug-13 10:41:24

Does n sound crazy sounds lovely !

I am King Charles fan and Rosie is our latest and so far we had her over 10 years she has been my dog who follows me around all time.

She is a feisty little one who thinks she is a big dog!

Thank god she picked up now weather cooler we were very worried.
This morning she has been barking for England and burrowing under fence to try get a next door cats a new idea! not to be encouraged ! ,just so glad she recovered!

glammanana Thu 15-Aug-13 11:09:15

celebgran I'm so glad to hear your little girl is feeling better it's such a worry when they are off colour,my Barney our little JR is still not on speaking back terms with me after taking him to the beauty parlour for short back and side's but he is so much cooler after getting rid of all the hair,and he smell's sweeter too.smile

pamelaJEAN Fri 16-Aug-13 09:11:12

So pleased Rosie is ok now, Prudence doesnt like the hot weather, and "silly girl" she has her own garden bench, and loves to sunbathe on it..lying stretched out, but after about 10 minutes the panting starts and she quickly looks for a place in the shade. Love that Rosie has been barking for England, lol... Prudence doesnt bark much , and she doesnt mind cats or wood pidgeons, but when the woodpecker comes into the garden she goes wild....

pamelaJEAN Fri 16-Aug-13 09:14:55

They say boxers are the jesters of the dog breed, and they have kept me laughing for the last 20 years... and yes they definately have that zest for life. I just love the Kidney beaning.... going around in circles with excitement... and my girls have never judged me.... no matter what mood or what I look like eeeeeeekkk They just love me for being me.

LizG Fri 16-Aug-13 09:42:54

What a lovely thread, thank you so much. My friend has a beautiful boxer. She is disabled and he is training to be a Help Dog. He is doing really well.

celebgran Fri 16-Aug-13 09:57:19

Agree there are lot of us doggie lovers on grand net.
Thanks glam and pam jean such relief that she has
Picked up now have fan ready for her soon as gets humid!

Boxers sound lovely breed my sister has one once but she was snappy and sadly did not live that long if I remember rightly.