Gransnet forums

Pets

Crazy animal hybrids (some are pets)

(20 Posts)
Bags Wed 07-Aug-13 08:54:08

Crazy animal hybrids. Part of me thinks this is spoof, but the photographs look real.

Elegran Wed 07-Aug-13 09:14:34

I have a feeling that they are all real, but not very common. Some of them are creatures which would not normally meet so are unlikely to breed together. I remember a TV programme about a grizzly/polar bear cross that someone had shot - it was legal to hunt one of them but not the other, so it was autopsied to decide which it was. Answer - both!

When they have been bred artificially, I can't help wondering - why? Probably because someone smelt profit.

Tegan Wed 07-Aug-13 09:23:05

Fascinating! The Beefalo is crazy in that it says it does less damage than cattle so, if they'd've just not tried to wipe out the buffalo they could have just ate them instead. The Wolf Dog was recommended as a pet [as long as you don't have other pets] but they were fashionable a few years back and there were problems with them as a wolf will never be totally domesticated and hybrids are dangerous. And there was a tv programme about a bear that was killed which resulted in a court case [as it is illegal to shoot polar bears but not grizzlies] and tests proved that it was a hybrid. I love the camel thing smile. And the zebra....As for the duck; the ducks round here will have it off with just about anything from what I've seen blush and the ducks on the canal are all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Tegan Wed 07-Aug-13 09:24:23

Crosed posts Elegran! Wonder if any of them are fertile? I would assume not.

whenim64 Wed 07-Aug-13 09:25:50

I think they're real, too. I was surprised to see the cross between polar and grisly bears. Have they been artificially inseminated? I could imagine them trying to tear each other limb from limb! Very interesting.

Tegan Wed 07-Aug-13 09:31:06

Will probably be more of them with polar bears being pushed out of their natural habitat.

Bags Wed 07-Aug-13 09:58:04

Polar bears are doing fine, tegan. See here: polarbearscience.com/

The evolutionary distance between polar and grizzly bears is, in any case, very small.

Deedaa Thu 08-Aug-13 22:15:40

Must admit I'm doubtful about the cat/tiger cross. Can't really see that working. Most of the others are pairings of closely related species and as Tegan says a duck will mate with anything.

Tegan Thu 08-Aug-13 22:34:31

I thought I'd heard of the cat/tiger cross before. It was the dolphin one that seemed strange.

Tegan Thu 08-Aug-13 22:42:17

Oh, the false killer whale is a kind of dolphin which makes more sense.

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 10:37:34

The practical details of the cat/tiger cross are puzzling. Did one of them stand on a box? Or was it artificial insemination?

(Oh BTW, they think that the panda is probably pregnant. Could still be a pseudopregnancy, though. I would not put it past her, contrary besom)

Tegan Fri 09-Aug-13 12:16:47

Elegran; you've given me an idea about visiting Edinburgh Zoo when I'm oop north. I love zoos blush. And is there a botanical gardens as well [I love those also!]?

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-13 12:24:36

I would love to see an Eleraffe. smile

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 12:28:13

Tegan when you know when you plan to come to Edinburgh, we should arrange to meet up. I will chum you to the Zoo if you like - it is just along the road from me, and I have a membership card which gives me free entry (and discount tickets for guests) Yes there is an excellent Botanic Garden with very good cafe.

This is part of the communique from the zoo - "A second hormone rise in progesterone levels was detected in Tian Tian on 15th July, and then confirmed on Wednesday 7th August, which indicates she may be pregnant or experiencing a pseudo pregnancy; this means that in around 40 to 55 days Tian Tian will either give birth to a cub or her false pregnancy will end. If there is a cub, it could be born between late August and early September."

The place will be mobbed at that time if a cub does arrive, so it is a good idea to book panda visit times (free) early.

Anyone else for a GN zoo trip? If there are enough I might even be able to fix a guide (no promises)

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 12:33:26

Gillybob For a long time no-one believed that the duckbilled platypus was real. There were so many fake creatures on show - halves of two animals sewn together and so on. The platypus seemed just impossible, but it does exist.

Don't think an Eleraffe is likely though. I notice the capital E. Are you insinuating something personal here?? hmm

Tegan Fri 09-Aug-13 12:39:52

Elegran; I'd love that. I usually have a day in Edinburgh on my own as the S.O. has to look after the dog. I'll pm you a few details in a day or so [I love having adventures!].

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-13 12:41:13

Thats the second time you have made me spit my tea out today Elegran.

Don't know what on earth you are talking about. I have tried my best but I simply can't picture you with a VERY long neck and legs spread akimbo , not to mention the yellow skin and brown patches wink

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 12:47:55

And a tongue 20 inches long that I can lick my ears with . . . no way!

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-13 12:49:53

Oh come off it Elegran I saw you do that with my very own eyes ! smile

Elegran Fri 09-Aug-13 13:33:50

OH!! Must be more discreet (not discrete, that means separate, apart, detached from others). Sorry, this is not pedants' corner but as I was using the word it occurred to me.