Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

in terms of

(10 Posts)
vintage1950 Fri 19-May-23 09:09:12

I hate the overuse of this phrase. People sometimes use it more than once in a sentence. Why not use 'about' or 'regarding' instead? I once heard a speaker on the radio, shut out of a conversation because everyone else was interrupting him, saying over and over again 'In terms of.... in terms of...' As this was meaningless, he didn't attract enough attention to rejoin the conversation. (Of course, he shouldn't have been interrupted in the first place).

Skydancer Thu 08-Jun-23 10:12:21

I agree. Another one I can't stand is: "No pressure then" and "up close and personal". Why not just say "up close". We've got a friend who keeps saying, "It is what it is" until I want to scream.

Primrose53 Thu 08-Jun-23 12:20:38

A neighbour of ours spends a lot of time in his garden. He has this terrible habit of saying “say again” every time his wife speaks to him. I don’t know how she bears it. I would tell him to wash his ears out or say “pardon”.

LRavenscroft Thu 08-Jun-23 13:20:03

I don't like it when people say 'my bad' instead of 'my mistake'.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 08-Jun-23 13:34:53

‘At this moment in time’. Grrr.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 08-Jun-23 13:51:45

"What can I get for you guys?" When I meet a friend for coffee, a vision of loveliness in our sun hats and crochet cardis we would prefer not to feel like builder's mates.

sodapop Thu 08-Jun-23 17:06:40

I agree about "it is what it is" Skydancer quite annoying and meaningless.
I suppose any phrase which is over used becomes irritating.

Granmarderby10 Mon 03-Jul-23 00:45:06

But just what is the * it* ?

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Jul-23 08:24:47

I had a friend who repeatedly said "Do you understand me?" I wanted to scream "We speak the same language and I am NOT A MORON!!!"

Now on radio/tv the favourite phrase seems to be "You know what? I think ......" Simon Cowell is a frequent user.

FarNorth Mon 03-Jul-23 08:34:02

I haven't heard basis much lately. It's meaningless in 'on a daily basis' etc.