Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Me, myself and I

(16 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Sun 12-Mar-23 16:08:28

...and also you yourself 😡Surely

It used to be considered polite, if you were talking or writing about yourself and another person, to mention them first. For example:

My mother and I went to the cinema.
If my mother couldn't come, I would say, "I went to the cinema."
Now people put themselves first by saying, "Me and my mother... or, worse, "Myself and my mother...
If my mother couldn't come, I wouldn't say, "Me went to the cinema." Or, "Myself went to the cinema." I'd say, "I went!" Of course, it would be fine to say, " I went to the cinema by myself. "
Today, I even heard someone say, "Jane and Sue went to the Stitch Festival and were joined by myself." What's wrong with "...and I joined them." ?

I've also been on the receiving end of, "Would yourself like a cup of tea?" What's wrong with the word you?

I know people have always got mixed up with 'I or me'. All you have to do is leave the other person out of the sentence to know which is correct.
A letter arrived for my mother and I.
A letter arrived for I.
No!
My mother and me received a letter. Or, again, Me/Myself and my mother received...
Me received a letter.
No!

Sorry to bash on about it but it does irritate I/myself/me! Of course, this is pedants' corner and I belong here quite definitely. Or should that be defiantly or definately?I

I'm off to scan the list for 'would of, could of, should of'. I know they are there! 😂

lizzypopbottle Sun 12-Mar-23 16:11:50

Whenever I press the return key, I get a capital I...
My kindle put the word 'Surely' in for me too!

Calipso Sun 12-Mar-23 16:12:42

Oh I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! This 'myself' business drives me nuts. Where on earth has it come from??

crazyH Sun 12-Mar-23 16:16:30

You belong here, quite definitely !!
My mother and I received a letter/ letters

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 16:20:24

Drives me crazy too. The television gets a lot of abuse…

grannyactivist Sun 12-Mar-23 16:24:20

I instinctively read, “Would yourself like a cup of tea?” in an Irish accent because that’s exactly what Irish family members would say.

I like it. 😁

Fleurpepper Sun 12-Mar-23 16:32:16

'definately' methinks.

Jaxjacky Sun 12-Mar-23 16:32:43

grannyactivist

I instinctively read, “Would yourself like a cup of tea?” in an Irish accent because that’s exactly what Irish family members would say.

I like it. 😁

Spot on grannyactivist you beat me to it!

Wyllow3 Sun 12-Mar-23 16:38:41

Yes, I always understood "yourself" in the above context to be regional.

Wyllow3 Sun 12-Mar-23 16:41:07

The cinema

I'd say, "Me and my mum went to the cinema" (that may be regional childhood, Hull:

Where my DS lives it would be " me and mi mam went to the cinema"

Wyllow3 Sun 12-Mar-23 16:45:24

However If I were writing a report on what I had done I would write, "today I went to the cinema with my mother",

JackyB Mon 13-Mar-23 07:23:41

As I speak German most of the time, where the distinction between cases is obvious, this is something I really notice a lot. Am totally with yourself on this!!😉😉😉

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 07:46:27

I love this thread!
grin

Margs Tue 18-Apr-23 17:20:25

Takes me back to watching episodes of Father Ted and the glorious Missus Doyle endlessly pressing cups of tea on everyone......

LRavenscroft Tue 18-Apr-23 17:25:45

JackyB

As I speak German most of the time, where the distinction between cases is obvious, this is something I really notice a lot. Am totally with yourself on this!!😉😉😉

A native speaker I once knew who spoke dialect regularly said 'fur dir'. I must confess that as an exchange student I did pick it up as my German teacher would have gone mad if I had said that. Never did pick up the subtle nuances of German but I did enjoy the grammar challenge.

Greta Tue 18-Apr-23 20:29:15

I always thought myself/yourself was yet another American import. "I'm good" in response to "How are you?" still irritates me. And don't even mention the constant "like".