Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Coronated!!

(23 Posts)
Witzend Sat 29-Oct-22 21:27:12

Just heard it (re new Zulu king) on BBC news! Since when did it replace the perfectly good ‘crowned’?

Septimia Sat 29-Oct-22 21:31:25

Since people started making words up! "Coronate" isn't in the dictionary (not on the one on my computer, anyway!).

Zoejory Sat 29-Oct-22 21:32:06

You're quite right.

A person is crowned, not coronated. “Coronate” is improperly derived from “coronation,” but “crown” is the original and still standard form of the verb.31 May 2016

Trusty google helped me out

Grandma70s Sat 29-Oct-22 21:34:46

It hasn’t replaced it. The correct worn is still crowned. It’s just that some people don’t understand the linguistic connection between the words Crown and Coronation.

Elegran Sat 29-Oct-22 22:02:27

It will probably appear in the dictionary next week. One isolated occurrence of a newly minted neologism is enough to qualify it for a learned definition by linguists and philologists, and to put it on an equal standing with trusted veterans whose pedigrees and histories can be traced back ten centuries and more.
I have just invented a synonym for it - kingified. If we were all to use that at every opportunity, maybe it would get into the dictionaries before coronated. It has exactly as much right there.

Blossoming Sat 29-Oct-22 22:32:05

Being coronated sounds awfully painful.

MrsKen33 Sun 30-Oct-22 04:31:25

Medalled was an Olympics one. Very similar .

BigBertha1 Sun 30-Oct-22 05:41:29

I still can't stand 'gifted' and 'tasked'.

Baggs Sun 30-Oct-22 06:04:03

So long as it isn’t applied to the new prime minister (any prime minister actually) about whose “coronation” several otherwise reputable journalists have spoken, I think I can bear it however much I dislike it.

Morphing a coronation procedure onto something that has never involved crowning strikes me as…. well…. ignorant, in that word’s true sense, and/or stupid.

I don’t like all the razzmatazzing such an idea conjures. UK politics of late has been quite bonkers enough without any help from up-jazzing.

Aveline Sun 30-Oct-22 06:35:46

When I saw this thread title my first thought was that someone was saying they'd caught coronavirus.

MawtheMerrier Sun 30-Oct-22 08:12:44

From “Common Errors in English Usage” by Prof Paul Brian’s-

A person is crowned, not coronated. “Coronate” is improperly derived from “coronation,” but “crown” is the original and still standard form of the verb. But don't be in too big a hurry to declare that there is “no such word”: “coronate” means “crown-shaped,” and has various uses in biology.31 May 2016
In Biology it is used to mean “having a corona or crown shaped pattern or colouring “ and as an adjective, not a verb.
So a bird ‘s plumage may be described as “coronate with blue feathers”.

ParlorGames Sun 30-Oct-22 08:20:34

Yes, Aveline, I thought the same.

Elegran Sun 30-Oct-22 08:40:24

Maw "In Biology it is used to mean “having a corona or crown shaped pattern or colouring “ and as an adjective, not a verb." so after Charles has been coronated, we can expect him to permanently display a crown-shaped pattern across his pate, and a multicoloured jewel design on his face?

Witzend Sun 30-Oct-22 08:47:16

I also saw it in an American newspaper (we were with my sister in Cape Cod when the Queen died) - probably the Boston Globe. At the time I put it down to US usage.

I hope the Beeb have been bombarded with complaints about it, not that I imagine they’ll take any notice. They do seem bent on dumbing down nowadays.

Grammaretto Sun 30-Oct-22 08:47:27

Blossoming grin

Prentice Sun 30-Oct-22 10:24:16

Blossoming

It certainly does grin

Prentice Sun 30-Oct-22 10:25:35

It does sound like something that the late and not so great President Trump would have said.

nanna8 Sun 30-Oct-22 10:31:03

It’s in the Oxford dictionary apparently as in, ‘to crown’. It does sound rather medical I have to say !

Baggs Sun 30-Oct-22 10:32:55

I wonder if it would cover such a thing as being walloped with a black pudding roll à la ecky-thump?

Prentice Sun 30-Oct-22 10:41:13

As in The Goodies Baggs ? I have been watching these lately on a comedy channel.

Baggs Sun 30-Oct-22 12:15:12

Yes, Prentice! 😀

Oldnproud Sun 30-Oct-22 12:31:25

Prentice

Blossoming

It certainly does grin

'To crown' sounds rather painful too though - memories of childbirth have just come flooding back! 🥴

sodapop Sun 30-Oct-22 13:05:24

🤣😂 Oldnproud