Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Mothers Day Traditions.

(5 Posts)
Elijay Tue 05-Mar-13 21:31:58

Back in the mists of time on Mothers Day I gave my Mum a little posy of flowers, usually violets.

Some historians claim that Mother's Day originates from ancient spring festivals dedicated to maternal goddesses. Greeks honored Rhea, wife of Cronus and mother of the gods and goddesses of Greek mythology.

Ancient Romans had a spring festival dedicated to Cybele, also a mother goddess. Called Hilaria, this celebration lasted for three days and included parades, games and masquerades.

A more modern version of Mother's Day began in the 1600s in England. Mothering Sunday was celebrated on the fourth Sunday of Lent. Small gifts were given, and a simnel cake was served.

What ever happened to Simnel cake? They appear to have gone out of fashion.

LullyDully Wed 06-Mar-13 09:28:51

Seem to remember it used to be Mothering Sunday when I was a child. We went to church and came back with daffodils for mum.

LullyDully Wed 06-Mar-13 09:29:18

And it matched with Lady Day

HildaW Wed 06-Mar-13 11:39:19

Yes I still think of it as Mothering Sunday - a handmade card and a bunch of spring flowers gathered from garden was all that was needed. Mind you in the back of my mind I think I can remember someone saying its actually about 'Mother' church not Mums!

Elijay Thu 07-Mar-13 08:55:38

Yes it was about Mother church. Some interesting facts on this website. www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk