Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Due to, owing to, because

(12 Posts)
Grossi Wed 12-Sep-12 07:08:16

Good morning Gransnetters sunshine, especially pedantic ones!

Can anyone help to explain the thing about due to modifying a noun and owing to modifying a verb in a way that I can understand confused. (I went to school at a time when we were supposed to learn grammar by osmosis.)

Is this sentence correct? Due to the characteristics of the plants, it is not always possible to ensure that they will grow in every garden.

Many many thanks and brew and cupcake for anyone who answers!

kittylester Wed 12-Sep-12 07:20:41

I think I understood what you were saying grossi, so that seems ok to me. grin

Grannyknot Wed 12-Sep-12 07:34:44

The osmotic method of learning grammar worked grossi I also understand the sentence. smile

Bags Wed 12-Sep-12 08:42:48

I don't think I've ever known that 'due to' was to be used with nouns and 'owing to' with verbs. In fact, because I know the wrong usage bothers some people, I suppose I've tended to avoid either and use 'because of' or something else. Am now going on a google in search of dues and owings....

Bags Wed 12-Sep-12 08:47:16

Have just read this article, which includes quotations from Fowler and references to dead horses. Know what? I think I'll stick with because of grin

annodomini Wed 12-Sep-12 08:56:09

My English teacher was fussy about this but I think that nowadays it's a completely unnecessary distinction.

Grossi Wed 12-Sep-12 09:00:33

Thanks to Grannyknot, kittylester and especially to Bags who can have double brew and cupcake for her useful link.

The thing is that I work with non-native English speakers and some native English speakers from countries other than England (trying hard not to be racist here). To them, things like choosing correctly between due to, owing to and because, are terribly important.

That's why I'd like to understand the noun/verb thing even though secretly I couldn't care less I am not sure how important it really is! smile

Bags Wed 12-Sep-12 09:07:22

Lovely cupcake and brew, grossi. Due to my having just eaten breakfast number two as well, I'm now quite full I just ate my second breakfast as well, so I'm full now smile

Greatnan Wed 12-Sep-12 09:08:31

According to the BBC World Service site, there is now no distinction between 'due to' and 'owing to' but 'because of' is used in less formal contexts.

Grossi Wed 12-Sep-12 15:20:07

Belated cupcake and brew to annodomini and Greatnan.

I feel much better now that not one of you has been rude about my appalling lack of grammar, let alone my misuse of due to.

I do feel a little bit bad that I might have caused Bags to overeat, but I often have a second breakfast myself due to /owing to/ because of (delete as applicable) my insatiable greed.

Greatnan Wed 12-Sep-12 18:20:17

Ah,we observe forum etiquette and don't correct another member's grammar or spelling, unless asked! It is not always easy for those of us who are retired English teachers, or pedants, or both!

granjura Wed 12-Sep-12 19:29:32

Some of us are 'furiners' and need to be given a bit of slack too smile