Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

On line dictionary

(8 Posts)
absentgrana Tue 11-Sep-12 10:22:51

Collins on-line dictionary has been inviting members of the public to submit "new" words which are then scrutinised by the company's dictionary editors. On Breakfast television this morning, they seemed to think this was something quite astonishing in spite of the fact that most of the words have been in widespread use for some time – shabby chic, tiger mother, helicopter parent, cyber bullying. Floordrobe is a slightly amusing way to describe a pile of clothes on the floor but only a variation of "Just hang my coat ion the floor" so I'm surprised that it was included. Amazeballs was the one that really surprised me. Apparently it is a way of registering approval of something, but I've never heard anyone say it. What on earth is its derivation?

gracesmum Tue 11-Sep-12 10:26:31

As in "totes amazeballs"???

vampirequeen Tue 11-Sep-12 10:39:08

What a bizarre word. Apparently it's just another way of saying amazing.

absentgrana Tue 11-Sep-12 11:11:29

Except it isn't.

Bags Tue 11-Sep-12 11:15:56

Hasn't the OED been adding new words ever since it was invented? I expect the same is true for all the good dictionaries: Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc.

absentgrana Tue 11-Sep-12 11:20:25

Bags I think the invitation to the public (still open) to e-mail new words that they would like to see included is an innovation. Also a dictionary compiled on line can add and delete words without having to worry about available space on printed pages. Consequently, ephemeral new words – and I very much hope amazeballs is one of them – can appear and disappear fairly quickly.

Bags Tue 11-Sep-12 11:24:28

I think I agree with you about amazeballs. Nearly wrote amazebells. Oh no! Not another!

Anne58 Tue 11-Sep-12 16:34:02

I often wonder about opposites, for example if something makes you unhappy or fed up, you can be "disgruntled". So does that mean that if something nice happens you can say "Do you know, I was really gruntled!"