Gransnet forums

News & politics

That reception - don't forget its message.

(124 Posts)
Elegran Sun 04-Dec-22 10:01:57

The topic of the day on Gransnet is race, but amid the angry exchanges, don't forget what that reception was all about. It was to raise awareness of violence against women and girls as part of the UN 16 days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence.

A video of Camilla's speech at that reception is on Youtube. So are two previous speeches by her in previous years. Violence against women and girls is an endemic global problem that doesn't go away. The UN 16-day campaign should get equal coverage in the worldwide media and on social networks as the incident with Ms Fulani and Ms Hussey - but it seems to be over-shadowed.

Queen Consort Camilla in 2022 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aKijYForA

The Duchess of Cornwall in 2021 - www.itv.com/news/2021-10-27/camilla-remembers-sarah-everard-and-sabina-nessa-among-women-lost-to-violence

The Duchess of Cornwall in 2020 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrwcvD393E

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:50:34

Yes it does Jane but thank goodness marital rape is no longer protected by the law in the UK.

Thank you BaBaBoom very informative but so depressing.

Madgran77 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:31:28

JaneJudge

I understood what you meant VioletSky

I also understand why trying to silence women on subjects as important as this is:

a) inappropriate
b)detrimental to the cause

All of us as women are more at risk of domestic abuse and domestic violence than men.

Here is a link to reoffending and ethnicity re DV/DA

www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/crime-and-reoffending/domestic-abuse/latest

we have to bear in mind shame as someone mentioned earlier and how people report etc.

Useful and interesting link JaneJudge which shows the whole chart. I missed that when I posted above. Thankyou

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:26:46

Madgran77

BaBaBoom

This bar chart shows the percentage of women who have been subjected to domestic violence, within an age range of 16 - 74 year olds.

Thanks BabaBoom but half the chart appears to be missing. I tried to do another link from the Government website but it won't do it for some reason.

I posted the full chart on the racism is a factor in dv thread along with the foreword

Madgran77 Sun 04-Dec-22 19:09:03

BaBaBoom

This bar chart shows the percentage of women who have been subjected to domestic violence, within an age range of 16 - 74 year olds.

Thanks BabaBoom but half the chart appears to be missing. I tried to do another link from the Government website but it won't do it for some reason.

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 18:53:27

youtu.be/pZwvrxVavnQ

I love this video

Consent is easy to understand

Which worries me so many claim not to

BaBaBoom Sun 04-Dec-22 18:45:42

According to a survey by YouGov Feb 2021:

33% of the respondents think that it’s not rape if a woman is forced into having sexual intercourse without any physical violence.
Almost a third of men think consent is present if a woman was flirting on a date. The sex ensuing wouldn’t count as rape even if there was no explicit consent given.
A third of men think that consent can’t be retracted during sex.
24% of the respondents think that long-term relationships don’t require consent for sex.

This data, used in conjunction with the bar chart above, shows that despite legal change, male attitudes (within all ethnicities) to demanding sex within a relationship clearly haven't changed enough.

The latest judgment ruling against marital rape came in 1991, which said that the wife can’t retract consent at any point in their marriage. The following treatise for rape that came after this also argued that the husband couldn’t be found guilty of rape in marriage.

Finally, there were several pleas against the judgment ruled in 1991. The case reached the House of Lords in 2003 that revoked the previous judgment. They said that the law enforcement agencies can’t possibly maintain that a wife submits herself to her husband for the entirety of their marriage for sexual intercourse. Consent needs to be taken and can be withdrawn as per the wife’s will. Rape in marriage was made a criminal offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Dec-22 18:36:13

it still happens here

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 18:35:13

It was the legal abuse of women wasn't it.
Which still happens in so many parts of the world today.

Galaxy Sun 04-Dec-22 18:23:53

Yes it was, there were some horrific cases in the seventies that galvanised women to act.

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 18:16:07

Reported figures can be very different to actual figures sadly

Racism has an impact on that

As do many other factors like shame

Too much violence and abuse against women and children goes unreported

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Dec-22 18:15:19

I don't know much about the techniques used in the campaign Galaxy but the mere fact that women had to fight not to be raped by their own husbands still shocks me, and realising this was a mere 30 years ago, shocks me even more.

It was the legal abuse of women wasn't it.

BaBaBoom Sun 04-Dec-22 18:06:26

Madgran77 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:57:22

Attempts to segregate any of those groups as being having more credence or importance than any other is divisive and dismissive and discriminatory

I honestly just haven't seen or read anything on this thread that attempts to do that.

Those are useful and interesting statistics, BabaBoom Thankyou for posting them

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:54:27

Oh dear

That's a shame

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:54:09

halfpintflowers.

It's good that coercive control is now recognised by law but as if all to often the case, the onus is on the victim, usually women to report.

For too long the in a case of domestic violence the police were unable to act unless the victim pressed charges. Another change for the better that once again, took too long to change.

Galaxy Sun 04-Dec-22 17:53:59

I have just been looking back at the campaign to make rape in marriage illegal, I remember it happening but didnt remember quite a lot about the campaign. Some of their techniques made me smile. Certainly means of protest that would be frowned on today. 'Dont do it Di' spray painted alongside the information on marital rape being legal. World in action also did some good work.

BaBaBoom Sun 04-Dec-22 17:52:53

silencing other women is not OK

Which other women have been silenced? On this thread? On another thread? In the general public domain? Who has done that? And where? Show me.

halfpint1 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:48:43

Having seen my Mother being controlled and slapped many
times , both my sister and I were deeply affected by that in
our lives. We both have sons and daughters who have been made aware of respect in all areas of life but it was never a
lesson I would have chosen to learn by.
Talking openly about violence in relationships is the only way to go because so many women keep quiet out of shame and humiliation.

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:46:53

Janejudge

Exactly, silencing other women is not OK

Without listening there is no understanding and discussing racism is one part of a multifaceted issue and has its place in any discussion about violence against women

OK I'm not gone yet but the potatoes aren't as crispy as I hoped

JaneJudge Sun 04-Dec-22 17:43:04

I understood what you meant VioletSky

I also understand why trying to silence women on subjects as important as this is:

a) inappropriate
b)detrimental to the cause

All of us as women are more at risk of domestic abuse and domestic violence than men.

Here is a link to reoffending and ethnicity re DV/DA

www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/crime-and-reoffending/domestic-abuse/latest

we have to bear in mind shame as someone mentioned earlier and how people report etc.

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:41:14

Anyway

I give up you guys for now

I'll check back another time

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:39:45

There's something about seeing stats like that BaBaBoom that really brings the message home, just how vulnerable women are simply because they are women.

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:38:41

The screenshot are in reverse order

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:37:57

Here it is in full in case anyone is still confused about what I am saying

VioletSky Sun 04-Dec-22 17:33:43

BaBaBoom

This could have been such an interesting and informative thread if it hadn't been derailed by violetskies whataboutery derailing it. You can argue that violence against black women is a problem. Or violence against trans women is problem. Or violence against young women is problem. All of those are true and none of those have more, or less, importance than any other groups of women. All violence against women is unacceptable. Attempts to segregate any of those groups as being having more credence or importance than any other is divisive and dismissive and discriminatory. Shame on you for that violetskies.

Wow

That's a pretty disgusting thing to say to me

Perhaps you should look at what I have just explained on the thread in my honor and you will see exactly what I am actually saying.

Either that or explain exactly which comment of mine says anything like that or what your actual problem with any of my comments is?