Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speaking up for MP's

(18 Posts)
POGS Tue 07-Jan-14 22:34:13

The government are trying to do the right thing by bringing forward a Bill re 'Mesothe lioma' (asbestosis).It has been put forward by conservative Mike Pennington, Work and Pensions.

The Bill seeks to enable the victims of 'diffuse Mesothelioma' to obtain compensation, at long last. The Bill is at Report Stage.

Today in Parliament an 'ammendment' was put forward on behalf of labour MP Paul Goggins.

The new clause 2 amendment makes provision for research supplement within the Bill.

YOU ASK WHAT IS MY POINT HERE?

The amendment was put forward on his behalf, as he is seriously unwell, not by a labour MP but by conservative MP Tracey Crouch. This was a mark of respect that followed throughout the debate by both benches.

I know and whole heartedly agree that it would be nice if MP's behaved responsibly all of the time. I most certainly do not condone the childish, abusive display we see on a regular basis, sadly.

What I am trying to do is make the point that having a closed mind and 'tarring and feathering' all MP's with the same brush is wrong. It's no different than saying all teachers are crap or all nurses are uncaring and useless.

They are not all lazy' they are not all 'in it for themselves', they are not all uncaring.
I am not saying that I believe every MP is a saint, I know they are not. Cash for honours Expenses Scandal' has done them no favours. Today Parliament showed that the system we have is not perfection but I could not help but think how lucky we are and how so many people in the world would love to have the democratic system we have here.

grannyactivist Tue 07-Jan-14 23:28:27

The seat now held by Paul Goggins was previously held by Alf Morris and he was a very hard working constituency MP.

POGS Tue 07-Jan-14 23:41:12

Grannyactivist

He suffered a brain hemorrhage whilst out running. The poor man is in a critical condition. sad

whenim64 Tue 07-Jan-14 23:54:57

He's my constituency MP, tucked up in our local hospital after emergency surgery, poor man. Hope he recovers, but I have a sinking feeling there may be a bi-election even if he is able to go home.

mollie Wed 08-Jan-14 08:37:54

Unfortunately we only seem to hear about the incompetents and the rogues and don't hear about the good ones. What a pity! Good luck to this chap, I hope he makes a good recovery.

grannyactivist Wed 08-Jan-14 09:13:27

when, he's also my mother's MP and I e pect you know he was a social worker before going into politics. His reputation as a constituency MP is very good and he's done a lot of work for children in care and with the prison and probation services.
I know that there are MP's who are very honest and hardworking and it's a shame that the high profile ineptitude (or worse) of some MP's tarnishes the perception of the role.

Ariadne Wed 08-Jan-14 09:30:30

Tracey Crouch was our last MP in Kent; I met her several times and was very impressed. She communicates quickly and fairly, and is passionate about what she believes in. Despite my inherent cynicism, I'd agree that there are some good people around!

Iam64 Wed 08-Jan-14 09:42:02

It's good to read some positive comments about MP's. I was very sorry to read about Paul Goggins.
We are also lucky in having an MP who has represented this constituency for many years. He grew up locally, worked in engineering, was involved in local politics before becoming an MP. He is often seen around the area, either supporting demonstrations in support of our libraries/hospitals and is very active on behalf of his constituents.

kittylester Wed 08-Jan-14 10:20:45

Our local (Tory) MP is really impressive too. As was our last MP who happened to be Labour. smile

I wonder what happens as they climb the greasy pole to make them change.

mollie Wed 08-Jan-14 10:30:01

I'd like to think that politicians went into the job to serve their community but so many seem to think it's a stepping stone to a lucrative career and overlook the public service aspect. Why is Tony Blare coming to mind...?

mollie Wed 08-Jan-14 10:30:45

Blaire ... blush

whenim64 Wed 08-Jan-14 11:28:47

Oh, how sad. I've just heard the news that Paul Goggins has died. ga yes, I knew about his background in probation and social work. He had a good reputation amongst my colleagues who remembered him.

POGS Wed 08-Jan-14 12:56:37

I am saddened by the news of Mr. Goggins death.

I have just watched PMQ's and it was a pleasure to see and hear MP's from both sides of the House giving respectful comments.

I am not apologising for restating the fact that 'lumping' all MP's as useless, lazy and 'in it for themselves' is quite wrong. As The Speaker said Paul Goggins was one of the least partisan MP's and I wish not only our MP's were sensible enough to behave that way but voters too.

granjura Wed 08-Jan-14 14:49:29

Great thread POGS- I totally agree. So many get stuck into their communities to genuinely help solve issues for their area and constituents- tirelessly. Their neck constantly on the chopping block- and damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And in the meantime, people sit comfortably at home and moan constantly, but are not prepared to get involved and DO something.

Kitty they do NOT all change as they progress in their career- but the good ones do not make Page One of the tabloids (or the Guardian for that matter). I certainly like Private Eye- but would like to see Ian Hislop put his energy into politics and see how he gets on.

Iam64 Wed 08-Jan-14 18:09:46

So sad to hear that Paul Goggins has died. A real loss to politics. The comments made about MP's who go 'up the slippery pole' and lose their moral compass are interesting. Made me think about other areas of public service, where some of those who chose the management route seem to lose touch with the very ethics that brought them into the work. Or is it that in order to progress into senior roles or become ministers, compromise is needed. The problem is when people's personal ambition leads them to compromise themselves out of making useful, ethical contributions.

annsixty Wed 08-Jan-14 18:55:25

I have just heard on NW Tonight about Paul Goggins and thought the tributes to him seemed very sincere and heartfelt, he was one very good MP.

grannyactivist Wed 08-Jan-14 22:27:13

Only just caught up with the news and was sad to read of Paul Goggins' death; we worked for the same children's charity in Manchester/Salford in the 80's. So sad for his family - he was only a few months older than me so his death must have been a terrible shock.

whenim64 Wed 08-Jan-14 22:34:18

He did a huge amount for our local probation office in his constituency, going back many years. Always prepared to turn out and support efforts by young offenders, too, as he understood the obstacles that those youths who had been in the care system had faced. What a sad loss.