Gransnet forums

News & politics

The sex traffickers.

(4 Posts)
Kiora Tue 07-Jan-14 18:56:22

I am incensed at the attitudes of the people who attended court shown on the television for trafficking women into Great Britain as sex slaves. They appeared to be completely without shame. In fact they looked rather boastful. This is such an appalling crime I hope when their sentenced tomorrow that the punishment fits the crime. I just do not understand why we cannot intercept these gangs before these poor women end up on our streets to be so horribly raped and brutalised. We are a civilised society and as such this should be made a law enforcement priority. Perhaps it's because it's seen as just a crime against women that it isn't.

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 19:03:34

Kiora, I agree everything should be done to prevent women/men/children being trafficked into sex slavery. I read recently that the police and other agencies are putting a lot of resources into attempting to rescue victims, and prosecute the criminals. The difficulty is that demands and needs are increasing, at a time when resources are being cut to the bone.

POGS Tue 07-Jan-14 22:54:05

Sadly it is not only for sex is it.

Again today we see DVD footage of a young lad being beaten and used as 'free labour' in Sheffield. A traveller family were sent to prison only a few weeks ago for a similar thing.

There have been 'cowards' who have no scruples since the year dot let's face it. Hopefully the Police are getting smarter and people reporting their concerns more.

I do find the prison sentences for these offences too lenient. It is beyond sadness to sit back and think of the poor souls suffering as we post, especially little children. Unbearable.

Iam64 Wed 08-Jan-14 09:14:38

Agreed Pogs - it's a frightening thought that there are so many people prepared to exploit and damage others.