Gransnet forums

News & politics

London artist shot dead in Durban, South Africa

(8 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 07-Jan-14 18:43:26

I hesitated before posting this, but it explains my comment on another thread where I wrote about being scared of the violent crime in South Africa. This is in Durban, the city I grew up in. Imagine if you were having a party at home and 4 armed people came to rob you and you lost your life for the sake of a couple of mobile phones and a wallet.

So sad.

ffinnochio Tue 07-Jan-14 18:58:03

Sadly, gk this no longer surprises me. I won't tell the whole story, as it's not mine to tell, but a prospective buyer who visited our house was desperate to leave SA with his wife and family. He had experienced terrible times. He's had to return. sad

I understand many, many South Africans are desperate to leave their loved but unstable country.

Mamie Tue 07-Jan-14 19:06:14

What a sad story. Such a shame that such a beautiful place has so many terrible problems. sad

Grannyknot Tue 07-Jan-14 19:16:57

It is heartbreaking. And the current government does not appear to have the political will to address the problem. It is left once again to big business to do their best. Private security firms have proliferated because there is no police force. I wish I could wave a magic wand.

South African journalist Max du Preez is always an interesting read:

mg.co.za/article/2013-11-28-spring-may-just-arrive-early-in-sa

Grannyknot Tue 07-Jan-14 19:18:29

As is Shaun de Waal (who wrote the above article).

AlieOxon Tue 07-Jan-14 19:37:58

I'm in contact with distant relative Linda in Jo'burg and although she wanted to go to the local library there for family research - she hasn't got there yet as she doesn't go in town alone.....

thatbags Tue 07-Jan-14 20:10:28

Such a sad story. You must feel it sorely gknot. sad

Grannyknot Tue 07-Jan-14 20:18:41

I do. As someone said recently - about the people of my tribe - their pain is my pain.