Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bus Passes are really under threat

(20 Posts)
Supernan Mon 06-Jan-14 11:37:35

I think we, Gransnet members, should collectively let the government know how much our bus passes mean to us. Warn them how much it will mean to them if they contemplate taking them away. Any ideas for protest!!

rosesarered Mon 06-Jan-14 16:12:44

I think that those who work for the politicians will already look at both Mumsnet and Gransnet to give them ideas, although if we think that losing the passes may be imminent, maybe HQ here would let them know on our behalf how much we value the passes?I for one use mine regularly.

sunseeker Mon 06-Jan-14 16:52:41

We could always have a concerted letter writing/email sending campaign to David Cameron or George Osborne

absent Mon 06-Jan-14 18:23:10

David Cameron promised not to alter such things for the life of this Parliament. Politicians' promises being what they are, it is worth noting that he has kept this one. However, getting rid of bus passes and any other pensioner's "perks", including the way pension increases are calculated, will probably happen early on during the next Parliament, if this Government stays in power, on the basis that all the old dears will have forgotten about it five years later.

jinglbellrocks Mon 06-Jan-14 18:33:50

I have used my bus pass twice in the seven years I have had it. Much prefer to walk or cycle the two and a half miles into town. I think older people should walk more, It's too easy to hop on the bus.

Having said that, I do appreciate it's different for people who live longer distances from towns.

feetlebaum Mon 06-Jan-14 18:46:01

Some of us aren't able to 'walk more' -(never thought I'd miss it!). My car is the only means of transport for me, and if I can't park where I want to be.... I don't go. Which makes some things extremely difficult.

jinglbellrocks Mon 06-Jan-14 18:49:14

Perhaps you should try. Just a little bit every day. smile

When did you stop? Have you got a disability? If you have, then you have my sympathy. That must be horrible for you.

Ana Mon 06-Jan-14 18:53:16

DH is the same, feetlebaum and jingl. He has emphysema and it's an effort for him to even walk to the car from the front doorway without having to pause to get his breath. He's fine driving. If he couldn't, he'd never leave the house - a bus pass would be no use to him...sad

jinglbellrocks Mon 06-Jan-14 18:59:10

That's awful Ana. sad

seasider Mon 06-Jan-14 22:27:15

I will not qualify for a bus pass for a number of years but I do have friends who really value theirs and the freedom it gives them . I suspect it helps combat loneliness and isolation too. I think bus passes should be available to all pensioners and those who do not need them don't have to apply . I have worked in benefits and know how much work means testing would take. It would wipe out any savings!

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 09:18:22

So it would seasider, the current system means only folk who plan to use their bus pass apply. Ana is right to point out that for many older people, using the normal busses is impossible. I think most areas now have Dial and Ride services, where older people can be helped on and off the busses.

sunseeker Tue 07-Jan-14 09:37:11

I am fortunate not to have any disability and do walk across the local fields BUT I live in the countryside and even to walk from my home to the local pub means taking my life in my hands. We have no street lights and no pavement. There is a 20 mph speed limit through the centre of the village but it is generally ignored, there is also no bus service through the village. So if I go anywhere I take my car. If I am going into the centre of Bristol I will take the park and ride using my bus pass.

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 12:46:59

That's a good point sun seeker. I live in one of 4 villages that almost meet each other at the old boundary lines, due to building over the past 40 years or so. The bus still runs through our area, but the village that is a couple of miles further out, just had their bus service removed totally. Many of the residents are no longer able to drive, so are dependent on taxis, or friends to get to the supermarket, a couple of miles away.

ninathenana Tue 07-Jan-14 17:35:38

I'm fortunate to still be driving but if I didn't it would cost me £5 each way to the supermarket. If I wanted to go to the nearest large town I would then have to pay £8 return train fare on top of that (supermarket is across the road from the train station)
I don't yet qualify for a bus pass. Heaven knows how those who need to use a pass on a regular basis would manage without.

Iam64 Wed 08-Jan-14 09:25:18

I do qualify for a bus pass, and bought a rail card. Without it, the under 3 mile bus trip into town would cost £6.00 return. How on earth can folk afford to go to work is a valid question

GadaboutGran Thu 09-Jan-14 16:58:23

Some older people want to do more than just go into town (for shops, doc, library etc). My 89 yr old mother often walks 2 miles to town (except when injured after a fall on wonky paving stones) but also likes to go by bus to the coast or another town or to tend my father's grave in the village where they used to live (harder now there are few buses & even those may be cut). She usually gets off a few stops early & walks the last mille across a park. I can't imagine many wealthy people choosing to use the bus if they can afford a taxi or car but if they did, they'd be kept in touch with how the less well off live.

busybea Fri 10-Jan-14 10:25:28

I paid £10 for an oyster for over 60`s which gives me travel on buses \ trains \ tubes in london ~ great but using my local buses is a nightmare ~the way the bus drivers drive ~ jerk and slamming the brakes at every stop \ belting round every roundabout so you are swung from side to side and have to hold on for dear life ~ after 30 minutes of this to get to the nearest tube I feel thoroughly sick ~ so don't use it unless I have to! My main gripe with this government ie conservatives is that every time they get into power they have made my life considerably worse ~ when thatcher was in power we nearly lost our house and now with cameron I find I am now having to sign on at the age of 61 ~ they have moved the goal post twice since should have started to collect my pension ~ now won't get it till 2015 and maybe not even then as there is no guarantee that this latest date on the gov website calculator won't change ~ frankly feel I have more than done my bit having worked since I was 15, always paid my taxes, brought up a family and paid for their education myself, looked after relatives with paralysis / dementia / cancer / emphysemia and chronic pain and still caring for one in care homes where I have had to call in the care quality commission due to address their lack of care ~ I am very fed up being governed by people who frankly have no idea of lifes realities for the average working person and as for his statement that `we are all in this together` is frankly a joke!

EmilyHarburn Sat 11-Jan-14 16:49:04

For wealthy people who are getting universal benefits, it is a simple matter to tax the benefits if this helps lower the benefits bill. I appreciate that the bus pass is untaxable, however I cannot see people who have chauffeurs using a bus pass. If a bus pass did make them leave their car and chauffeur behind this might well be a social benefit to the community. I have a bus pass and when I have time I park at the park and ride before going into town on the bus, as that helps prevent congestion and poor air quality. Unfortunately I rarely have the time to do this. Reading the letters above I am sure that the bus pass, where it is used, gives great benefit socially. I think it is true that because the government reimburses bus companies for the journeys made on a bus pass, this helps the buses stay in business which then is helpful for the working population.

trendygran Sun 12-Jan-14 16:54:50

My bus pass is my absolute lifeline. Without it I would not be able to go much further than the local shops and town occasionally. With it , I am able to get out and about to see friends, attend U3A meetings and volunteer at a drop in group once a week. These things keep me going ,,both mentally and physically, and enable me to meet up with others ,as opposed to being on my own much of the time.I will be amongst the first to protest loud and long if any Government attempts to deny the pass to those of us on a modest income and without a car.

ps Sun 12-Jan-14 17:21:29

busybea well said, agree with you 100%. The definition of 'wealthy pensioner' will be nice to see, will it be anyone with an income over what the flat rate pension will be? I don't think it will be anyone who is a higher rate taxpayer. Perhaps they will take the value of a home into account to determine wealth, that way they will not only require you to sell your home to pay for care but also to sell it to provide for income during pensionable years. I feel we are on an ever increasing spiral to the bottom.