Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kate Winslet

(19 Posts)
Bellasnana Mon 23-Dec-13 12:43:11

I see Kate Winslet has named her newborn son 'Bear'. What do you think? Are you a fan of unusual names or do you prefer something more traditional?

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Dec-13 12:49:50

Poor little chap! He will need to attend a really posh school where all the other kids have outlandish names.

KatyK Mon 23-Dec-13 13:03:47

And his father's name is Ned Rocknroll - so he is Bear Rocknroll confused

Riverwalk Mon 23-Dec-13 13:15:24

Not to the same school as Jamie Oliver's son, Buddy Bear!

Charleygirl Mon 23-Dec-13 13:17:31

Apparently his surname will be Winslet. No thought is ever given to the child re these outlandish names.

Grannyknot Mon 23-Dec-13 13:25:28

In gay communities, a 'bear' is a large, hairy man who projects an image of rugged masculinity. Bears are one of many LGBT communities with events, codes, and a culture-specific identity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(gay_culture)

tchsmile

KatyK Mon 23-Dec-13 14:04:36

Thank goodness she's sticking to Winslet. I was just thinking 'oh there's Bear Grylls' but realised that's just a nickname.

absent Tue 24-Dec-13 08:27:42

Absentdaughter has a cat called bear because he looked like a bear cub when he was a kitten. Some of her children have some quite unusual names but nothing that outlandish.

dorsetpennt Tue 24-Dec-13 09:32:51

When my DS and his wife were expecting their first baby and churning over 'what-to-name' the baby, I gave what I thought was good advice. Pretend you are standing in the playground of a secondary school and you are a teacher. Shout out the name, if you imagine everyone laughing and teasing, wrong name.
What may sound a cute name for a baby will be utterly ridiculous in a six foot teenager. Frank Zappa's children changed their names when they were teenagers for this very reason.
In the place where I worked, a mum had named her girls Ebony and Trinity without knowing the meaning of either name. Trinity, as we know, means three as in the Holy Trinity, Ebony is black, both girls are white. Bit like calling a black girl Blanche.
Why do famous people find it necessary to give their offspring silly names?

thatbags Tue 24-Dec-13 09:38:56

No worse than calling a boy Bryn (hill) or Craig (crag) or a girl Ursula (little she bear). There must be many more examples.

thatbags Tue 24-Dec-13 09:39:57

That was my test too, dorset – to practise yelling it up the stairs. If that worked, the name was fine smile

Riverwalk Tue 24-Dec-13 09:40:21

If a man changes his surname officially by deed poll to Rocknroll he's not likely to choose a conventional first name for his child.

The boy is going to be mixing in like-minded circles so won't be too harmed by being named Bear!

thatbags Tue 24-Dec-13 09:40:34

Although usually we shout Ahoy! or even just Oi! Gets results.

Deedaa Tue 24-Dec-13 21:53:54

It's the same with animals, I always imagine myself standing in the garden at midnight yelling the name. It soon sorts out the good ones tchgrin

rockgran Tue 24-Dec-13 22:35:53

I agree that yelling down the street - "..... (Name)... , yer tea's ready!" is a good guide to suitability. I prefer classic spellings, too. As an ex-teacher the creative spellings were sometimes a challenge.

Nonny Thu 26-Dec-13 21:23:45

The worst name I have heard is Harper which always makes me think of the toilet cleaner Harpic!

Oldgreymare Thu 26-Dec-13 21:49:00

.... and a much longed-for girl at that (Harper seven/7?) being given a boy's name! huh!

yogagran Thu 26-Dec-13 23:03:59

Always sounds as though someone has asked what time it is wink

Oldgreymare Fri 27-Dec-13 08:49:14

Yogagran smile