Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hillary Clinton for President

(13 Posts)
thatbags Fri 20-Dec-13 07:57:35

'Hillz' on why The US needs a woman president.

ffinnochio Fri 20-Dec-13 09:44:24

I would like to see this happen. Her remarks about women in the Senate who are able to see across party lines is important. I'd like to think she'd bring clarity and good sense!

From a black president to a woman president ~ would the evangelical hard right republicans cope, I wonder? hmm

jinglbellrocks Fri 20-Dec-13 09:47:52

Would be good.

tanith Fri 20-Dec-13 10:14:56

I agree a woman might be good for President but not sure Hilary is the one, I would question the judgement of anyone who stayed with someone as obnoxious as Bill after his 'lapse'.

berdie Fri 20-Dec-13 11:00:06

Go for it Hilary, I think she would be a great President. smile

janthea Fri 20-Dec-13 11:08:04

Mmmm hmm

Riverwalk Fri 20-Dec-13 11:19:49

I think many of us fell for the romance of a black American president, particularly in light of the history of slavery, but what a disappointment.

Obama is just another US president - Guantanamo is still open, extraordinary rendition continued, an increase in drone strikes in Pakistan & Afghanistan, rampant NSA surveillance, and billions to Israel.

If I were American would probably vote for Clinton as the Republican candidate is likely to be dire.

Mrs Thatcher was a woman - I don't think that fact made her a better or worse prime minister.

Tegan Fri 20-Dec-13 11:59:13

I would imagine America will go Republican again next time whoever stands. Strangely enough, when there was talk of Hillary standing before, The Observer astounded me by saying that it felt that Condoleeza Rice [sp] would make a better president. Either way, I feel that Hillary will go down in history as the best president they never had. As for Bill; putting that lapse aside, I think he has been one of the best and most charismatic presidents they have had in recent years. I must apologise for my ignorance about politics [and especially American politics] but I thought Clinton helped bring about peace in Ireland and Yugoslavia. I also never understand how America can have a Democrat president but the Senate can be Republican; must make it difficult to achieve anything. Either way, in a country that throws up people like Bush [1&2] and that bonkers Alaskan lady, Hillary stands out head and shoulders above them.

feetlebaum Fri 20-Dec-13 12:13:58

But the Republican party has never stood sol low in the public estimation - parts of it are only interested in getting rid of of their black President* - who has probably faced more sheer obstructionism than any before. People haven't forgotten that they shut down the government, just because they hate the idea of poor people having health care.

*Who they continue to stigmatize as Muslim and non-American, on the basis of no facts whatever.

Nonu Fri 20-Dec-13 12:24:27

A lot will hang on , who she comes up against !!

Tegan Fri 20-Dec-13 12:32:50

I'm heartened by what you say, feetle. I often used to meet American tourists in our village and would rib them about Bush and each and every one of them would laugh and say 'well, we never voted for him'. Years ago we met some Americans in Ireland [he was Democrat, his wife Republican] and he told us about this coloured guy that was 'going to be president one day'.

JessM Fri 20-Dec-13 13:23:58

Tegan I think that was Mr Clinton that you are thinking of re Ireland and Yugoslavia ?
Surprised if HC goes for it having had to step down from her job due to a stroke.
Did the republicans ever find anyone to stand - was it Mitt (presumably short for Mitchell) Romney? Was he the Mormon one? How do they find those chaps that look like a stereotype of a 1960s film star. (Just like the guy who plays the politician husband in The Good Wife - perfect casting). Where do they grow em? And do they still sell brylcreem over there? You just don't see their ilk outside the states and not often in it.

Tegan Fri 20-Dec-13 14:23:26

I did mean Bill, Jess. I need to do a bit of wikipedia'ing!