Gransnet forums

News & politics

Things to love and admire about capitalism

(9 Posts)
bluebell Sat 14-Dec-13 08:31:19

www.theguardian.com/money/2013/dec/14/cirrus-ripping-off-elderly

Wow - jolly good wheeze! And thank you OFT for your sterling role in supporting this exemplar of all that is good about the market

absent Sun 15-Dec-13 00:06:23

I have always thought "you couldn't make it up" was a silly expression but – you couldn't make it up!

Eloethan Sun 15-Dec-13 01:05:41

I read this a couple of hours ago. It's absolutely disgusting and I can't understand why they are allowed to get away with it - it is surely fraudulent to rig charges in this way?

Why aren't people protesting more about these gross injustices - there seems to be one scandal after another and yet hardly a murmur?

Granny23 Sun 15-Dec-13 04:13:31

Over the last few years before he retired, DH, a self employed joiner, did a fair bit of work for a firm of property factors and managers, mostly repairs and maintenance to the communal areas of blocks of flats, some of which were marketed as retirement properties. It was varied work and the factors were friendly, efficient and prompt payers. So far so good.

One day when he was putting new safety catches on a landing window, one of the owners, an elderly lady, asked him if he would be willing to do some work inside her flat. He agreed, she asked for an estimate, but queried his hourly rate and that was when he discovered that the factors had been billing the resident owners at £25 an hour + Vat for his time, instead of the £16 + VAT that he had charged them. We presumed that the lady raised this issue with the factors because suddenly there was no more work from them.

Now I know this is small beer compared with Cirrus, but it is still an over 50% mark up, which if applied to all the bills presented to each of the owners would have raised a £500 bill to £750. With 10 flats in the block that is £2,500 going into someone's back pocket. The owners were already paying a substantial annual management or factor's fee to cover the administration involved. So not only defrauding the owners but also taking advantage of the tradesmen they employed. Is this why the General Public think tradesmen get huge hourly rates? It certainly left DH 'scunnered' and feeling 'used'.

grannyactivist Sun 15-Dec-13 06:29:18

I think that the prevailing attitude in many businesses now (though not all, I hasten to add) is to get away with whatever they can in the name of chasing a profit. There is no shame now in 'getting caught out' in shady practices. Even when they're named the big companies are rarely 'shamed' any more.

petallus Sun 15-Dec-13 09:04:41

I recently had a Dexa Scan and opted to pay myself rather than involve my health insurance company. Cost to me £140. The hospital concerned then billed my insurance company (in error). Cost to them £210.

thatbags Sun 15-Dec-13 09:35:35

The "green" face of capitalism.

thatbags Sun 15-Dec-13 09:35:53

Green is good, right?

Yeah, right.

rosesarered Sun 15-Dec-13 10:37:36

there will always be greed fraud and corruption in any kind of 'market' but capitalism and a free market is the only kind which really works. In Russia under communist rule for so long, the greed fraud and corruption was even higher!It's in the nature of man to do this, but what is needed are checks applied regularly [pity they didn't do that before the banking crisis] also letting light into 'dark places' and accountability.We can't be naive about these things.