Gransnet forums

News & politics

sexual apartheid in british universities

(25 Posts)
grannyjaybristol Thu 12-Dec-13 14:32:06

I have a student grand-daughter so the guidelines from 'UniversitiesUK' saying universities could segregate lectures 'for religious reasons' made my blood boil. I have always preached tolerance towards other religions so I guess its my own fault that tolerant olde me now has extreme minorities imposing their views in Britain!I have started a petition and invite you to click on, read it, and, if you agree, sign it.If you can pass on to others, great! I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, but if you are.....
you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-sexual-apartheid-in-british-universities

Sel Thu 12-Dec-13 15:15:40

Completely agree grannyjay How easily we are moving backwards, it's quite pathetic. Signed your petition, well done.

Lona Thu 12-Dec-13 15:47:48

Signed and shared on fb.

janerowena Thu 12-Dec-13 18:12:10

Signed, so worrying.

Bellasnana Thu 12-Dec-13 18:46:28

Signed and shared on fb.

JessM Fri 13-Dec-13 13:08:16

Cameron has piled in criticising this. Which is good. Suspect he is trying to kick up some dust to obscure yesterday's faux pas re being a Nigella fan.

Riverwalk Fri 13-Dec-13 13:30:22

As I understand, it's not timetabled lectures that can be separated but 'guest' lecturers addressing certain societies. A slippery-slope nevertheless.

Of course we have a lot of education segregation as it is e.g. Eton College, a registered charity, denies access to female students ...... it would be an interesting test of the law if a parent were to challenge this and try to place a daughter there!

Charleygirl Fri 13-Dec-13 14:40:32

Signed. This is modern Britain, we are not going back in time.

JessM Fri 13-Dec-13 14:58:05

I think there is an exception in the law riverwalk and another one that covers religious organisations.
Guest lecturers should not be allowed to dictate terms - they are invited to speak not to organise the audience. The woman on the Today programme yesterday certainly did not make a good job of defending this decision - she just kept talking about hypothetical case study i.e. scenario.

Riverwalk Fri 13-Dec-13 15:06:58

Yes, Jess she put up a very weak argument .... although she did say it was on legal advice.

Justin Webb got very irritable with her!

JessM Fri 13-Dec-13 15:10:07

It's often the way when you start talking about "rights" isn't it - my right to sit where I want in the lecture theatre compared to the speaker's right to organise the audience according to "religious beliefs" i.e. cultural proprieties. Does one trump the other? hmm

Riverwalk Fri 13-Dec-13 15:16:12

The universities do seem to be bending over backwards though to accommodate religious beliefs, above and beyond what seems reasonable.

Whoever this speaker was should have just been told, no you can't segregate the audience and see where that led to.

The spokeswoman on Radio 4 said that she'd been advised that it would breach the speaker's human rights ...... this is when it starts to get ridiculous and brings equality legislation into disrepute.

glammanana Fri 13-Dec-13 15:25:37

Signed and shared.

JessM Fri 13-Dec-13 16:14:59

I think I might start a new thread...

FlicketyB Fri 13-Dec-13 17:07:48

If someone wants to book a private venue for a talk and asks those attending to divide by gender that is one thing but no-one should expect to be allowed to do this in any public venue. Would we let a white supremacist give talk where different races had to sit in separate blocks?

One of the complaints made about the publicly funded Moslem free school, which was recently in trouble with Ofsted, was that boys and girls were made to sit in separate blocks in class.

JessM Sat 14-Dec-13 20:18:31

The crazy, crazy thing about this whole hoo - ha is that women and men going to talks held in university are attending mixed lectures etc all the time. So what is the point in saying that for one talk there should be separate seating.

thatbags Sat 14-Dec-13 20:47:27

The point is that the speakers who demand it just want to impose their 'rules' on other people and think everyone should 'respect' their stupid ideas. Some ideas are not worthy of respect. Neither is the behaviour of some people.

liminetta Sun 29-Dec-13 08:43:48

I have signed. What a ridiculous situation to be happening in modern Britain.Shame on them!

sunseeker Sun 29-Dec-13 09:38:00

If I were asked to give a talk to a school or university (highly unlikely!) and I said I wanted the room to be divided between Catholics and Protestants I would, quite rightly, be told where to go.

You can come up with many other examples, black and white, redheads and blondes, athletes and academics and with each one it shows just how ridiculous the segregation is.

annodomini Sun 29-Dec-13 09:44:21

I thought that the Universities had bowed to pressure from Government and rescinded this edict.

whenim64 Sun 29-Dec-13 10:40:20

Yes, I heard that announced, too, anno

Iam64 Mon 30-Dec-13 09:15:13

I should think so. This farce reminded me of so much criticism of the HRA, it isn't usually the law that is at fault, it's the gobbins who interpret it wrongly. This situation has been complete tosh hasn't it.

annodomini Mon 30-Dec-13 09:38:14

It concerns me that they are so worried about giving offence to a minority that they are prepared to take a measure that must offend a majority.

granjura Mon 30-Dec-13 11:24:39

Indeed- signed and shared.

annodomini Mon 30-Dec-13 12:37:12

"EHRC chief executive Mark Hammond....has said that, while segregation by gender in premises being used for religious purposes was legal, it was "not permissible" in an academic meeting or in a lecture open to the public."

It is also clear that Government ministers and in particular the PM are horrified by this foolish decision. It would seem that the University chiefs have climber down.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25378713