Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who do these people think they are

(15 Posts)
Kiora Wed 11-Dec-13 18:17:18

I'v just been reading an article in 'notebook' it's the suday mirror magazine title 'how to deal with the MOTHER-IN-LAW. Apparently according to the author "one thing to remember is your sleeping with her son" ...she can't get it out of her head. She sees you at it in her sleep. She imagines she can hear it going on when your under her roof" well just to put the record straight this has never been in my head and I never imagine any such thing. Who are these so called expert spreading their home grown nonsense. Perhaps she should have said' this mother loves her son as much as you love yours and one day you will be a mother in law be kind.

Elegran Wed 11-Dec-13 18:25:26

Magazine journalists are obsessed by sex - they can't imagine any other kind of love. What on earth makes them think that all mothers-in-law have oedipus complexes about their sons? Freud has a lot to answer for.

MrsJamJam Wed 11-Dec-13 18:35:49

I guess the journalist was under pressure to produce something that might sell papers. Just hope no one actually believes such rubbish.

annodomini Wed 11-Dec-13 19:18:08

Speaking as a MiL, I .... oh dammit, I can't be bothered commenting on such rank rubbish

whenim64 Wed 11-Dec-13 19:21:37

Utter nonsense!

Lona Wed 11-Dec-13 19:23:54

I love my dil, and frankly I would be worried if she wasn't sleeping with my son!

Iam64 Wed 11-Dec-13 20:43:27

I do wish this attempt to set women against each other would just STOP. Sex sells papers, as does the notion that all women are jealous of each other, insecure in their relationships, as well - childish. Yuk

Nonu Wed 11-Dec-13 20:51:35

What a load of old codswallop !

[tchshock

Aka Wed 11-Dec-13 21:50:02

Piffle.

absent Wed 11-Dec-13 22:29:12

So do fathers have the same thoughts about their daughters – or do parents of adult children have better things to think about?

As far as I can remember, my mother-outlaw was much more obsessed with what my then new husband had eaten for dinner and whether I had ironed his shirts. Mind you, a bit later on in the marriage, that was pretty much all he cared about too.

whenim64 Wed 11-Dec-13 22:56:11

No, absent if we take any notice of Freud, it's the daughters fantasising about their fathers. Any way up, it's the woman that gets the blame!! hmm

rockgran Thu 12-Dec-13 06:43:53

If our DiL wasn,t sleeping with our son how else would we get our beloved grandchildren? (Adoption , etc. I know - but you get the point!)

Penstemmon Thu 12-Dec-13 07:17:20

More non-news that the editors claim readers want!

MrsSB Thu 12-Dec-13 17:58:55

I hope, and believe, that my DIL doesnt feel she has to "deal with" me! I think she's a saint for putting up with my DS, lol. And their sex life couldn't be of less interest to me. These journalists haven't got a clue!

Agus Thu 12-Dec-13 18:11:36

Unfortunately the journalists get the blame for this kind of trash but they are tied by their editors decisions as to what is eventually printed.

I agree When,it's always the woman that gets it. Mother in Law jokes in abundance but I don't remember hearing a single Father in Law joke hmm