Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jilly Cooper

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 03-Dec-13 15:28:18

I was sorry to read that Jilly Cooper's husband, Leo died last Friday. I know he was very ill but she was a devoted wife and I loved reading her column in the Sunday Times when I was a young married mum.

Lona Tue 03-Dec-13 15:32:16

So did I merlot, she always made me laugh.
The best one was when she said she'd cleaned the bath with Leo's face flannel after they'd had a row!

They had some good times together, so sad for her now.

merlotgran Tue 03-Dec-13 17:01:35

I loved her book, 'Class'. Everyone you knew was in there - even their dogs.

Agus Tue 03-Dec-13 17:10:49

I'm also a Jilly Cooper fan though haven't read her books for years now. I did feel sad for her though when she discovered her husband had been having an affair and she was deeply affected by it. They obviously patched things up and it's sad that she has lost him.

Might just re-read Class Merlot forgot about that one and it did indeed have a few characters I know.

kittylester Tue 03-Dec-13 17:18:02

I loved Class, everyone was in there weren't they?. She also wrote a few 'chick-lit' type books with the name of the heroine as the title that resonated with me. I loved her column - that resonated really well too. grin

She did seem to really adore her husband - she must be devastated. sad

Iam64 Tue 03-Dec-13 18:27:50

I enjoyed her books and columns when I was a younger woman. Their marriage has been like many, had its ups and downs, and to lose her life partner, so sad.

Agus Tue 03-Dec-13 18:36:36

Rupert Campbell Black anyone? He was such a bad boy. Phwaw

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Dec-13 20:32:57

I met Jilly Cooper through work twenty odd years ago (I looked after her on a chat show I worked on) She was absolutely lovely. I must have said something about how I hoped one day to write a book myself and a week or two later a parcel arrived for me containing a blank notebook saying "one day Cari will write a book in here." And do you know something? I did smile

Many years later when I'd actually done it (a couple of years ago) I wrote to her via her agent to tell her of this and that it was to be published and I had never forgotten her kindness. She sent me the most beautiful card and letter of congratulations. Once again I was taken aback by how kind and thoughtful she is.

Very sorry to hear about Leo.

Agus Tue 03-Dec-13 21:11:25

The few times I have seen her on TV she has always come across as a genuinely nice person so what you have just told us Cari confirms she is indeed a lovely lady.

Deedaa Tue 03-Dec-13 22:01:10

I remember her writing serials in teenage magazines many! years ago. I know Leo had been ill for a long time but it's always sad when this happens.

penguinpaperback Tue 03-Dec-13 23:08:33

I was sad to read this too.
I loved JC's Class book. I remember a box of the washing powder OMO on the windowsill was to let others know 'old man out.' grin